Who uses an amplifier stand?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by acstorfer, Jul 23, 2011.

1. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I always knew I needed an amplifier stand. It is an essential piece of equipment that is necessary to optimize the sound. In the past, when I lived in Ohio, I kept my amplifier on the kitchen nook countertop. It wasn't ideal, but it was good enough.

When I moved to Pennsylvania, I no longer had the counter option. It was a worse case scenario, my "baby" Swart 6V6 was on the floor. This directed the sound from my feet to about my shins. I did eventually find a little wooden stool to put my amp on. A small improvement, now the sound was directed from my knees to about my hip.

[​IMG]
    Man, what a waste of a magnificent amplifier! While I knew I needed one, I just kept putting it off thinking there was more important things I needed. Actually, now that I think about it, I am glad I did.

Now what do you think happened by me lurking around MLP? GAS!!!!! Member R9 posted a thread about his new custom Atlas guitar stand. R9, I hope you don't mind me swiping a pic of yours for my thread, but I kinda need it to demonstrate how simply beautiful it is so everyone can understand why my priorities changed.

[​IMG]
    Oh yes, I needed one after that. Oh yes, I indeed needed one! Something that beautiful and something that would GREATLY improve how my amp would sound. Something that would direct the sound up to my ears. At last I found the pedestal that my Swart amp deserved!

As it was, I was sold. I thought it was magnificent just the way it was. Then something happened that would forever change the ampilfer stand as we know it. When R9's thread came out, I was looking into getting a pedal board. This way I wouldn't have to keep breaking up my pedals, reassembling, breaking up and reassembling every time I went to practice. Oh, and meanwhile at practice my amp had to be wasted on the floor. When I had the opportunity to ask Josh at Atlas stands a question, I used it! It all started innocent enough, "Hey Josh, do you think you can...?". Well, I'll let the photos show you where I was going

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yes he did! Ladies and gentlemen, as far as we know, the world's first amplifier stand with built in pedal board! Oh, the open slot up front is for the built in power strip. This magnificent amp stand is brought to you in beautiful Ambrosia Maple wood. I can't wait to jam with this, it will save me so much time setting up and trips back and forth to the car. And the sound, my God, the sound! No longer will my ankles be the beneficiary of the majority of the sound!

Josh has been amazing to work with! He used my input and showed me his progress daily. I've never worked with a more professional artist. And yes, he certainly is an artist! I can't believe how involved he kept me every step of the way. I never worked with someone like that before.

Guys, if you're keeping your amp or cab on the floor, I emplore you to consider a stand to maximize the sound that comes out of it. Get that sound to go where it is supposed to go. And if you do think an amplifier stand would actually be a good idea, why not get a magnificent one? One that will make anyone who sees it know just how serious you are about all of your gear.

Josh can be reached at

jmcfender1@yahoo.com

Why not send him an email, let him know exactly what you want and see if he can make it happen. He is a no pressure guy who's only goal is to make his customers happy.

I have been a member at MLP for years. I have never written an endorsement like this before. I am just that happy with the service I received. If I wasn't this happy, or just liked what I was getting, I'd post some pics and that would be about it. I can't wait to get this stand in my hands, well actually below my amp, and I promise more pics once I do.

And remember, no matter how beautiful or functional this stand is, it's meant to deliver the sound to your ears, and I KNOW this stand will deliver.

2. ext1jdh

ext1jdh Senior Member

Excellent.

I use a musicians gear. Cost me 20 bucks. Needed something to raise and tilt the amp so i could use it for monitoring. It needed to be lightweight and compact enough to stow in my cars trunk with the rest of my gear. Also cheap cause I'm a cheap ass.

[​IMG]

I really like the pedal rack on yours...NO! NO NO NO MORE GAS IM TOO CHEAP!

3. wmrobrtsn

wmrobrtsn Member

Stand looks great, love the wood....how much was it?

4. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

GAS is a dangerous thing. Hell, war is started over GAS! Yeah, it's a bit extravagant, but I just fell in love with the idea of it.

5. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

It really wasn't a lot! In fact, shockingly less expensive than I thought it would be.

I really never felt comfortable discussing how much I spent on some things, and yet sometimes I'm not? It was more than $20.00 though :). Regardless, I would just suggest shooting Josh an email, let him know what you want, what kind of wood, etc and let him give you a quote. Or tell him your price range and see what he can do for you. I'd be kind of surprised if he can't work out a project in your price range though.

6. River

River Senior Member

I use this little AMP 150.

[​IMG]

Manning and Mookakian like this.
  7. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I like the mike arm on the 150! If I ever play through a PA I will have to rig something like that up!

8. thinkgreen

thinkgreen Senior Member

that is one nice bit of craftsmanship:thumb:. im sure the wood alone would cost more than $20. but what a lovely way to show of your amps:dude:

9. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Thanks thinkgreen. Of course I think you were actually praising Josh's work from Atlas rather than me just buying it, but because he included me so much in the process I feel entitled to take a wee bit of credit on it :)

Like I said, Josh is indeed an artist and I know this sounds superficial, it should all be about the sound, but truth is, it is a beautiful way to show off my amp. Damn, I am excited to get it!!!!!

10. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Very nice job! I wish I were that handy. :)

Personally, I don't agree with your statement about the "optimizing the sound." I don't like stands because of the loss of low frequencies that are no longer reflecting off of the floor so, for me at least, elevating or tilting back an amp off of the floor subtracts from it's sound. Elevating or tilting will definitely give you a better idea of what it sounds like out front but I'd rather add a cabinet or use a taller one for that.

11. Eric Smith

Eric Smith Senior Member

This the one that I have. The only thing I don't lke is that tilts the amp backwards and you can't use your amp to put drinks on. :D

12. rocknhorse1

rocknhorse1 Senior Member

When I was gigging I used a stand like the one River posted. I only used it for my combo. For a head and cab, I shimmed the front of the cab slightly with a couple of ashtrays from the bar....back when you could smoke in a bar.
    Josh does some very nice work, congrats on you purchase, it will likely last a life time.

13. ext1jdh

ext1jdh Senior Member

[​IMG]

Myth Busted!

14. flquacker

flquacker Senior Member

I found my situation with amp/speaker corrected when I put it on a stand....contrary to that line of thought (on the floor)

I had a bad issue with a few bass freqs that roared/overpowered/vibrated the speaker/cab when on the floor.

Seams each piece of eqpt has its "own" fondness of placement. I have other amps that sound fine on the floor.

15. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

I hear that; it also depends on simply what you like. For me, I need that "thunk" in the low end, especially with a Strat neck pup and raising my live amp (Mesa Stiletto w/ Mesa 2x12 3/4 closed back cab) off the floor loses it, also loses it at home with my Fender Blues Jr where we have hardwood floors that really add to the amps relatively boxy sound. My blackface Fender Champ doesn't seem to care much how it's positioned; it has a nice Weber speaker in it that is very rich sounding, especially for an 8".

16. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Silver Supporter

I use this one:

[​IMG]

Folds flat for transport, and is only $18. Doesn't really get it up off the ground, just tilts it.

Manning likes this.
  17. Goodcleanfun

Goodcleanfun Senior Member

I use a chair...

18. joshatatlasstands

joshatatlasstands MLP Vendor

I sit on leather chairs and use the amp stands I build :)

Thanks acstorfer for all the appreciation, it was a very gratifying project, The other cheap stands on here work absolutely fine, I've owned several of them over the years, but they all remind me of cheap gear, because they are in fact cheap gear, and I don't want cheap gear, especially if it's lining the pockets of the large corporations who are sending jobs out of the country these days.

Form is just as important to some people as function. I'm one of those people, I like high qualities of both combined in all areas of life, I prefer a nice car, fast motorcycle, HDTV, Oakleys, custom guitars, boutique handmade amps, I haven't drank a natural light beer in years, and I never use a pink toothbrush.:dude:

19. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

Like you I enjoy the notion of "fitness for purpose". The idea of carting a heavy, bulky wooden IKEA stand about seems dumb frankly.

20. joshatatlasstands

joshatatlasstands MLP Vendor

:applause: Don't know where the quote "fitness for purpose" came from, definitely didn't come from me, I said form and function. I get my daily fitness in without even knowing it, and I still don't use a pink toothbrush, I use an IKEA hairbrush to clean my teeth, with a built in toothpaste dispenser, battery powered of course so I don't break a sweat.