Who Likes the Coil Tap Option, and How Often do You Use it?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by scozz, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I have coil splits on my Les Paul Sig-T (new harness + Monty's Guitars' PAFs) and my PRS 594 (completely stock). It's a feature I use all the time on both of those.

I mostly prefer playing in the middle position. I split the neck pup and dial the volume down to around 4 or 5. Keep the bridge pup in full humbucker, volume rolled back to between 8 and 9. Middle position is a nice rhythm tone, and I can just flip the pup selector down for lead tones, with the option of rolling up the bridge humbucker if needed. Works for me.

I don't use the Sig-T for purely split tones. Not a fan of how that sounds.

This weekend, I started exploring using the PRS 594 for purely split tones. Very early days with that. First impression was positive.

notabot likes this.
  2. TheWelder

TheWelder Senior Member

My Epi 339 had coil splits. It was my first experience with them. I found that the split sound just wasn't usable in any way. Kind of a 'wet blanket over the amp' sound, which obviously isn't desirable.

It's currently at the shop getting wired up with a pair of Parson Street Golden Age humbuckers and a 50s style harness. No more screwing around with split coils, trying to figure out a way to make them usable. If I want a single coil sound, I'll grab my Strat.

3. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Sounded like a much better idea in the ad than it did in real life for me.

mdubya likes this.
  4. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I've had it on a few guitars (currently have it on two)... was never more than a novelty for me. It's never been a positive factor in influencing me to buy a guitar, just the opposite in fact (ie, I always wish they weren't there, just a hassle).

If one (or more) of the split pots were to die in either of the two guitars I have it in, I'm sure I'd just use it as an excuse to yank them all and replace them with normal pots/wiring.

Maybe some day in the future I will discover the joys of coil-splitting and recant this post as pure naïveté... but I doubt it. ;)

5. Fudaa

Fudaa Senior Member

I play a 2014 studio with the coil taps. I only use the coli tap option on a couple of songs in the middle positon with the bridge tapped... gives a descently aggressive tone.

6. T22

T22 Senior Member

Never use it. Don't like the loss of punch. If I want single coil, I'll pick up one of my strats.

Veeing Fly and Dick Banks like this.
  7. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I have a 2013 Pro II and I never use them. I even took the battery out to make the tone knob a mute switch.

Veeing Fly and mdubya like this.
  8. Figo

Figo Member

Humbuckers can't Coil Tap, that option is only valid for Single Coil Pickups.

Coil Tap is when the Pickup is wounded lets say 12,000 times and a selector is soldered at that point (the Coil Tap) and then the same pickup is wounded another extra 5,000 times (Hot Wound).

When you have the coil tap unselected the pickup only drives the output of the 12,000 (brighter/crisper sound) and when the Coil Tap is on the pickup drives the output of the 17,000 (warmer/thicker sound some kind like a Humbucker)

You are meaning Coil Splitting.... A completely different animal!!!!

9. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Ok, So how do you explain this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mdubya likes this.
  10. Figo

Figo Member

Extracted from Gibson site: http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyl...lit-and-Tap-2017-Gibson-Les-Paul-Pickups.aspx

"What Do You Hear? Tap vs Split Explained

Tap = Accesses the pickup coils through a filter. Effectively accents a particular frequency range for a “tuned tap”.

Result = Fatter, P-90 style voice with balanced output. Also offers lower noise and hum than true single-coil.

Split = Isolates one coil in the humbucker pair. Effectively changes a humbucker into a single-coil pickup.

Result = Brighter single-coil sound with lower output than humbucking."

This means that the Taping feature is not real (physical) taping it is electronically simulated. The frecuencies are manipulated with a circuit to filter them and let sound either the crisp/bright or muddy/hot frecuencies (depending if the taping feature is on or off)

11. Figo

Figo Member

Explanation extracted from Seymour Duncan Web page: https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/what-is-coil-tapping

"Coil tapping is when a wire runs off of the pickup windings at a certain point, somewhere short of the full amount. This means you can install a switch to select between a single coil pickup’s full output or a lower output, giving you two distinct levels of power from one pickup"

12. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Yeah, many people say 'tap' when they mean 'split'. Both have their uses, but electronically, they are very very different.

13. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

A tap and a split are variations on the same idea -- cutting out part of the pickup. If you think of a humbucker as one pickup (and of course it is), a split is just a tap that happens to be at the joint between this one pickup's two coils.

14. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Senior Member

Guess I had the last word...

(EDIT FROM CAPT OBVIOUS: Clearly not as you see below...)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    mdubya likes this.
  15. IndyLP

IndyLP Senior Member

My 10 month old is very entertained by pulling and pushing the knobs on my 2016 Studio T....that's the most use they get.
    When I decide what pickups I want to swap in, I'll replace the circuit board w/coil taps with 50's wiring and normal pots.
    The volume taper on my current pots suck, and when "full up" there is an unacceptable amount of wiggle in the knobs.

16. jaycoyoyo

jaycoyoyo Senior Member

I also have a Custom Lite, and I had two push/pull tone pots installed to do the splitting. I didn't have much reason to keep the split functionality, but I figured if I was adding the 2nd tone pot that I might as well change both to push/pull.

To my ears the split is only really noticeable when I dial back on the volume. As others have said, I have other guitars that I'll pick up when I want a single coil sound. I suppose if I was playing live I would consider bringing one less guitar and using my LP for the single coil sound.

--Jay

17. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

What a great thread! I've wondered about how this would work in reality. Sounds great on paper.

18. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

Got rid of it in my guitar long time ago, cause I never used it.

19. scozz

scozz Senior Member

What I really meant when I started this thread is "coil split". My bad for using the wrong phraseology. :cool2:

20. CCK

CCK Senior Member

Never heard one I liked.

C_Becker and mdubya like this.