Who Likes the Coil Tap Option, and How Often do You Use it?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by scozz, Sep 30, 2017.

1. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I don't currently own any coil tap LPs but I've played a few and have heard many. I really don't care for it at all. To me the tone is not vert pleasing, it sounds weak and thin without much character or warmth like a good regular single coil pickup.

Maybe it's me...maybe because these tones coming out of a Les Paul seems foreign to me and my brain doesn't want to accept it! LOL. I was wondering how many of MLP brethren like the tone and how much you actually use it.

2. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak Senior Member

I have a 2016 Standard in Heritage Cherryburst and it has the push/pulls and I never use them. I've tried but like you find they definitely don't sound like a traditional single coil. I have burstbuckers in mine and actually like the pickups.

i have an old epiphone made in Korea les paul same color but with 50's wiring and nice caps/Switchcraft gear with 57 classics/+ and I can clearly hear a difference in tone. I would be happy just getting rid of the pcb BS and getting a harness for the burstbuckers as I do like the tone of them. I would like to eventually put some nice hand wound pickups in. Wouldn't even know where to start but seems fun learning.

Les Paul Newb likes this.
  3. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I have 2 with the pull (which i think is making the hbs single coils) but neither pushes (out of phase??) And i never use the feature at all.

So i guess that would be a "don't like" for me as well.

4. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

I really like that feature on my Trad pro Iv. It does sound weaker split but then You ad the
    boost and its much better. Ive had the feature on guitars without the boost and its not as good that way.

mobidevjc and Les Paul Newb like this.
  5. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I find that, in most cases, the best thing about using push pull pots to split humbuckers is that you end up with lower quality pots and a less desirable pot taper.

There are some exceptions. Using humbuckers with very high offset coils, and favoring the bridge slug and neck screw coils, both in offers and when split, can give some decent split sounds. It's a compromise, though, because, in that case, the humbuckers in full-bucker mode don't sound like typical warm beefy powerful humbuckers. They sound a bit like single coils even in full mode. When split, they still don't sound like P-90s or Strats or Teles, etc. so it's just a compromise in every position, even with high offset coils.

Kaicho8888, northernguitarguy and MSB like this.
  6. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak Senior Member

Forgive me, mine don't push either except when they are pulled up then you Push them back down. I thought that was a term push/pull's?? It's not like the S1 switching on a strat where it actually pushes in.

The way my 2016 is wired is both volumes split to single,but if you put pickup selector switch to the middle and pull the Neck tone pot up you get a very nasally tone and pulling the Bridge tone puts it back to full Bore at anytime.

I have to disagree unless I see it with a DMM I don't hear that Im not getting full humbucker when it's all pushed down but that's just my ears hearing and that's totally up for debate. It sure sound's like a full bore lester when pushed down but I guess I will have to do meter tests and sound samples when i finally pull out the pcb crap.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  7. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Yep, that's the correct terminology. You got it right.

If you're replying to me, I'm talking about a specific style of humbuckers that is made for better sound when split (but compromises on the humbucker sound, accordingly):

8. moreles

moreles Senior Member

f I didn't have other guitars, I might use coil tapping on my LP, but I have other instruments that I think sound better for that tonality than a LP does.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  9. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

Are we talking split or tap?

I recently picked up a 2017 Trad Pro that has coil split. My original thought was to remove it and go traditional, but I find myself using frequently. I really like it. I don't have the PCB or dips switches with mine, it's wired point to point.. My knobs are not pulled out they are push and then they spring up to split the coils. Push in to go back to normal configuration and same with the boost.

mobidevjc and RichBrew like this.
  10. kiko

kiko Senior Member

My 2014 came with coil split. I rarely use but it does have some nice tones in sigle coil mode.

11. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

I have . Custom Lite that had 490/498 pickups stock with a little toggle switch to split the coils. It was okay, it was like the same pickups, just quieter.

I replaced the pickups with Zhangbuckers (with uneven coils) it sounds good with the split, but really, I never use it. It is lower output, of course, but beyond that I just love my Zhangbuckers so much as they are, I have no need of changing the tone.

Olus, as others have mentioned, I have other guitars with P-90s, P-90Ss, Dearmond 2000's, Lawrence and Fender single coils. They all do what they do perfectly.

12. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

My LP Special came stock with push/pull BB-Pro's. I find it useful. I can get some decent spank in the bridge and some good tonal variations when combing the two pups , either both single or one hum, one single and working the volumes/tones.

13. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I bought a Firebird with P90's that had coil tapping. The tapped sound was not usable at all so I returned it.

14. Bemis

Bemis Senior Member

I'm running through a Marshall and 2 cabs so the only time I hear a real difference is if I'm on a clean channel. Otherwise, everything sounds like my Marshall. That said, even on the high gain channels, when I pull out the "Peter Green" knob (tone push-pull), I hear a huge difference and it's awesome.

15. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

I own none and have no plans to....the split coil requires different tone settings in the amplification chain, which to me means hitting a pedal in unison with splitting the coil. :noway: If I want single coil I put on a strat! :thumb:

Bemis likes this.
  16. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

Zhangbucker has an option on his pickups called 'splat' IIRC, where it uses all the signal from one coil and part of the other coil so it sounds a bit more authentic. I haven't tried it because I've never bothered with the push/pulls but it's food for thought.

cooljuk likes this.
  17. Seven

Seven Silver Supporter

Useless.

C_Becker, mdubya and Bemis like this.
  18. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

Coil splits are a feature that's occasionally nice to have, but not something I often use. They don't sound much like single coils like you get in a strat.

I've done coil splitting mods to 2 of my guitars and they can be nice for getting a particular clean tone but not much else. I always use Bourns or CTS for push/pull pots.

mobidevjc likes this.
  19. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

I only have 1 guitar so the push/pull coil splits and reverse phase ability is welcomed in my '17 Standard. If I had a Strat to go to as an alternative I might feel differently. I agree with some others that the tone isn't as rich as using the full humbucker, but I love the variety of tones I can accomplish. It pairs really nicely with my Marshall DSL40C which can be dialed in a thousand different ways to accommodate varying tones. So I'm really happy to have he split capability when I want it. Certainly doesn't take anything away from the guitar.

20. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Yup.

Bemis likes this.