Who has a Gibson Les Paul and a Gibson SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by JMon, Dec 30, 2017.

1. JMon

JMon Senior Member

Plenty of videos out there already. I'm almost thinking the "darkness" might be from 300k tone pots instead of 500k tone pots. It does sound like a rolled off tone to me. Here is an a/b of 490 vs BB. Not enough difference to justify a swap if you ask me. If the pots are 500s, then I'm thinking the darkness is inherent in the guitar itself more so than the pups.

2. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Senior Member

Have a batch of Gibby LPs, and a single Gibby SG.

[​IMG]

The two LP Specials aren't really comparable to the SG. Just necessarily different due to the P-90s.

The SG has 490R/490T, the Studio Doublecut 490R/498T, and the Classic has Seymour Duncan Custom 5 bridge pickup and Gibson 496R neck. Honestly they're all very close in sound. Maybe the SG is a smidge brighter, the Studio Doublecut in the middle, and the singlecut Classic a smidge darker. But just a smidge. If that.

I find that the difference in weight affects shoulder fatigue a lot more than it does sound.

JMon and mudface like this.
  3. JMon

JMon Senior Member

Pots are all 500k and within 10% tolerance so, it's not the pots.

4. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

My R7's dark, my Studio Tribute is bright and my SG is in between. As for the 490's mine sound great in the SG and good in the Tribute.

5. Wrench66

Wrench66 Senior Member

I have a 2009 LP Studio and a 2014 SG Standard. The Les Paul is definitely thicker sounding with more drive than the SG. Even acoustically, the Les Paul sounds more rounded while the SG sounds brighter. I'm sure the pickups (57 classics in the SG and 490R/498T in the LP) play a part in the amplified sound, but either way it's a big difference. I tend to turn the bass down when playing my Les Paul and then my SG sounds thin if I don't add some bass.

JMon likes this.
  6. JMon

JMon Senior Member

I think this is exactly the case. The LP is just darker; has more growl. I think the Seth Lovers will really bring out the tone in my LP. I'm just waiting on the new CTS pots to arrive. I'll do the swap and 50s wiring next week. Surprisingly, the Gibby LP with 490s sounds nearly identical to my Epi LP Trad PRO.

7. kherman

kherman Senior Member

:sadwave:

I have an LP and Explorer, instead. ;)
    [​IMG]

8. Juanjay24

Juanjay24 Senior Member

I was just about to say this