Who has a Gibson Les Paul and a Gibson SG?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by JMon, Dec 30, 2017.

1. JMon

JMon Senior Member

I just picked up a 2017 Gibson LP with 490R/490T pups. I also have a 2013 Gibson SG with Burstbucker 1 in the neck, Burstbucker 2 in the bridge. The two sets of pups mentioned above are both alnico II and resistance is pretty close. My LP has an overall darker tone than my SG.

First question: Is your LP darker than your SG?

Second question: If it is darker, is it because of the differences in the pups, or is it because the LP has a thicker body than the SG?

Ready...set...go!

2. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

The BB's are brighter. That's a big difference.

3. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

SGs tend to be brighter souding than LPs, in general.

But yes, your pickups are almost certainly playing a part in it too.

NewDayHappy likes this.
  4. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

I've both LP and SG with same pups (490R and 498T).

Let's start saying that a comparison is possible only with same pups, and bypassing the entire wiring (direct output). These two factors alone (pups and pots/caps) are affecting the tonez in a BIG way.

Said that, you've 2 major variables which are making the SG brighter;

1) Neck pup on the SG has poles closer to the bridge, so this has more high end than a LP. The LP has the neck pup just where the fretboards ends, the SG needs that big gap, because of the different joint.
    2) SG has much less wood, and only mahogany with no maple cap, which means you have less frequencies damping from the mass of the body, so the final tone is much closer to the "raw" pickup voice.

5. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

This is more or less my experience with both with the above mentioned pickups :thumb:

6. mudface

mudface Senior Member

My SG has classic 57s in it, and my only Les Paul with the same pickups is my Traditional. I tend to agree with PierM that there is more "raw" pickup tone with the SG, it's more grittier than the Trad. But the tone is the lesser of the differences.:D

7. ACEit

ACEit Senior Member

I completely agree with PierM..

this is my gibson wall...

[​IMG]

from the left
    2017 traditional with BB, 2016 R8 w/ custombucker, 2016 trad hp w/ ox4, 2016 sg standard w Seymour JB/Jazz, 2013 sg tribute '50 w/ orginal gibson p90.
    both my sg seem to have more sustain, even unplugged, but the lp have more low end.
    About pickup, I didn't like at all 490/498 that was stock on my sg standard, I like the classic '57 of my LP HP... actually I put them on a prs se santana when I put ox4 on the LP. I like very much the custombucker of the r8, and, once solved a little issue with the volume pots I like the BB 1+2 too even if I wish them a little "clearer".
    I can't have a direct comparison between BB and classic 57/57+ on a LP as I swapped mine before buying the latest traditional.. but my "feeling" is that the 57 combo is a bit sharper and has more high.

jc2000 and JMon like this.
  8. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Who around her doesn't have a Les Paul and SG? :laugh2:

Axis39, drkato, laterider and 15 others like this.
  9. rjshare

rjshare Senior Member

I got sgs and lps, I got hummers and p90s... they all sound the same through a dimed Rat! :rofl:

10. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Funny you should say that. There’s a guy on TGP who posted his DGT vs R9 and his McCarty vs R9.

On my admittedly bad speakers, they all sounded the same. With enough gain, everything sounds like garbage

11. JMon

JMon Senior Member

Great inputs from all so far. I'll be swapping out the 490s for a set of SD Seth Lover pups. That was my intention for this LP all along, that and 50s wiring of course. I am happy that the BBs in the SG are brighter and have more chime, I think the Seth Lover's will too plus they are unpotted and I can't wait to hear the difference that makes.

Really surprised how dark the 490s are. They are clear not muddy, just a bit darker all around.

12. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

My Les Paul Traditionals both have '57 classics. My SG Standard has P90s.
    the SG is obviously brighter.

13. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

Have you verified the Pickups in the '17 LP? My '17 was suppose to come with a Burstbucker Pro 3 in the bridge, but was was actually in there was a 57' Classic +. Another forum I belong to there was a post about a '17 Studio having different pickups than what was advertised.

The tightness of wire when wound is also a factor on the pickup tone. Pickup winders keep a log on how many layers per turn as well.

14. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I don't have an SG yet, but I'm tempted by a gold Epi SG Standard Pro Ltd. On sale for $400 CDN, but I just bought an amp, so maybe later.

15. Zipslack

Zipslack Senior Member

Try adding an extra couple feet of shielded wire in your SG like an LP and see if it darkens up like an LP...

16. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

What PierM says is fact. I have an LP and SG with the same pickups. There is a subtle difference.

I ran a blind clip 'test' on another forum with the above mentioned guitars, a P90 LP, a 72 RI Tele, and a normal Tele. I just used the neck pickup, knobs on 10. Results were random in guessing what was what, aside from the single coil Tele. Sure there are differences, but signature differences? Not really.

17. JMon

JMon Senior Member

I haven't looked yet. I'll look when I have all the parts and I am ready to do the swap.

Sinster likes this.
  18. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Member

I have a 2012 trad and a 2000 61RI SG. 57 classics in both except the LP has the plus in the bridge. They are completely different sounding. The SG is incredible clean with both pickups on. Kind of a glassy bite to the bridge with overdrive. The Les Paul is more jazzy sounding clean, definitely rounder, the bridge overdrive is pure power. So two guitars with similar pickups and very different tone.
    A lot of Les Pauls have Burstbuckers which I find to be obnoxiously bright and oddly sound thinner than my SG in some guitars.

JMon likes this.
  19. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

Yes, I have a Les Paul and an SG.

They sound different, probably because one has P90 pickups, and the other one humbuckers.

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  20. afjungemann

afjungemann Senior Member

I hate the 490's. They sound so muddy to me and zero articulation. Interested to hear how the Seth Lovers change the tone. perhaps a before and after video? :)

Telechamp likes this.