Who Else Actually Prefers Their Cheap Guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by flats750, Aug 19, 2017.

1. flats750

flats750 Senior Member

My collection is closing in on 50 guitars, but lately I find myself grabbing some of my budget stuff as "goto" gits for practice or gigs. The LP custom sits in the closet while I play my 1980 Greco. My EBMM Petrucci sits while I reach for my Sterling SUB AX4. The 1990 PRS collects dust while I play my new SE24 Standard. And my No.1 recently has been my Samick Saraceno trem.

Anyone else with a sizeable collection experience this?

Attached Files:

kysrsoze likes this.
  2. Elkoki

Elkoki Senior Member

I don't have anywhere near that many guitars , but i've owned many through out the years from different price ranges, but i'd also go back to my old cheap Schecter Omen 6. I don't know if it's just aged well from constantly being played, but to me it sounds great and I always grab it first instead of my higher priced guitars. It's pretty beat up for being 12 years old, I always find myself going back to it.

3. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

My Ibanez Jet King and Gibson Melody Maker see more action than my more expensive stuff.

More because I'm willing to leave them around in a super-handy spot.

Malikon, dsmcl77, C_Becker and 4 others like this.
  4. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

Define cheap.

Dave Zee, Donal, Campbell and 2 others like this.
  5. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

All my guitars are cheap (compared to most here). I do have a very awesome Oscar Schmidt, But, my juniors are my favorites.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Dave Zee likes this.
  6. efstop

efstop Senior Member

My cheapest guitar is a Kramer Baretta Special, but I've only played it a few times since I bought it specifically for the vibrato unit. I don't own a top tier guitar; my most expensive one is a '17 Tribute T.

7. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Senior Member

I used to have a lot of Kramers from the 80s but realized that my 1988 striker 100st played just as good as my non-angled headstock baretta and it's dead ringer cousin focus 1000.

The only differences in sound were likely the pickups because changing to a PJ marx 412 on the cheap striker 100st made it sound better than either the focus or the baretta.

This is with a plywood body.

Changing the floyd 2 to an original floyd rose and sourcing proper posts for the knife edge to work on solved any tuning issues.

I also went to a push/pull switch I use to coil tap the PJ marx pickup.

There was no need to keep the other two which were quickly climbing in value so they got sold.

Also.....don't sleep on the japanese made yamaha and ibanez superstrats as they are super versatile with a ton of different sounds available with a flick of the 5 way switch.

The higher line yamahas and ibanez were/are made in japan but that doesn't mean a korean or taiwanese built lower line model will suck unless you're just unlucky.

I find myself reaching for a taiwan made yamaha RGX321 more often since it has 3 pickups.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Who likes this.
  8. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Yeah. Are we talking affordable? I don't think of quality MIJ guitars as being cheap. IMO, your Greco doesn't count as 'cheap'.

Kris Ford and LP121 like this.
  9. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I've owned cheap guitars. Univox, El Degas, Vantage etc. Some sounded good, some didn't. The El Degas strat had a mahogany body and it sounded so warm and mellow...I loved it but it sounded nothing like a strat. I changed electronics and hardware many times but that mahogany tone always shone through. I had two high end Kramers and I also bought a really cheap Kramer Striker as a backup guitar. I changed everything out...pickups hardware, real Floyd Rose. You just could not lose the flabby plywood tone. When people try to claim body material makes no difference I have to laugh. This was glaringly evident to me even when I was a very young player.
    Aside from usually crappy hardware on a cheap guitar it's almost always the set-up and fretwork that make it play like a cheap guitar. And that's the easiest thing to remedy.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Gem23 and C_Becker like this.
  10. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

yep' my go to's are a Mexi Tele and a 414ce neither are expensive guitars compared to a lot of whats out there.
    They play well and sound good, thats all I need

11. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I love all my cheap MiJ guitars....

[​IMG]

lakeburst, dsmcl77, Nobucks and 6 others like this.
  12. kmasters68

kmasters68 Senior Member

Lets see the non-black ones!

13. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Epi Group-2017-1.JPG

Who, lakeburst, Nobucks and 1 other person like this.
  14. kmasters68

kmasters68 Senior Member

LOL!

Who likes this.
  15. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Love my 58 Goth Explorer, perfect neck on this one, the satin finish has worn smooth from all the playing. Very happy with it soundwise as well, now that it has 500T/496R with 1M pots in it.

It was my first decent guitar after the crappy starter pack LP Special II, so its special in that way too.

Felt like playing my LP Custom this morning though, and played my Studio at rehearsal yesterday.
    I always mix it up a little, and since I love all the guitars that I own, I really can't pick a bad one.

16. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

Maybe that has something to do with it ?

Who likes this.
  17. kmasters68

kmasters68 Senior Member

I've found that each time I buy a more expensive guitar, it plays better than the one before it. I've noticed that quality seems to follow price, so I don't have any cool stories about "the cheap one". I'd be open to it though. The cheapest killer guitar I have is my 2006 Explorer.

18. kiko

kiko Senior Member

I'm glad I don't have the OP's Issue. I tend to choose the guitar based on my mood.

ht-57 and northernguitarguy like this.
  19. kmasters68

kmasters68 Senior Member

Yes, you're lucky. GAS is a superbug.

kiko likes this.
  20. Petergrifindor

Petergrifindor Senior Member

I donĀ“t prefer them, but I like and play them the same compared to the expensive ones.

C_Becker and Telechamp like this.