Who cranks their amp anymore

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by GibsonSG, Nov 13, 2011.

1. GibsonSG

GibsonSG Member

I'm just wondering some guys on here thought I was lying when I said I run my jcm 900 full throttle. Am I a 70's dinosaur or what ? I just thought it was kind of odd.

2. River

River Senior Member

I didn't think you were lying, I just don't see how you can hear anything. At all.

When I "crank" my much-lower-wattage amps, my ears hurt, like someone's sticking a dull pencil into both of them and tapping it with a mallet. How can that be enjoyable, and how can it not result in permanent damage?

3. Luckynumber3

Luckynumber3 Senior Member

Id expect somebody to max out a jcm800 or something like that, but not a jcm 900 (due to the master volumes and ability to get gain at lower levels).

I guess it is kind of odd then, but if you can crank it up, do it!:dude: (tubes amps cranked are hard to beat imo).

Edit: I agree with river: I keep the master low on my blues junior and crank the preamp and if I sit on my bed around the corner I still feel deaf and my ears hurt after,

Strato and River like this.
  4. 180gROC

180gROC Senior Member

Huh??? Could you speak up?

I've been playing mine cranked all day.

Mantis, schaapie, Bandit79 and 4 others like this.
  5. thrawn86

thrawn86 Senior Member

Heck no. My 40w DSL sounds fine at low volumes, but soooooo much better when pushing those power tubes. Marshall's LOVE to be cranked! :wow::thumb:

blues_n_cues likes this.
  6. thrawn86

thrawn86 Senior Member

Exactly.:laugh2:

7. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I cranked a Peavey Bandit once just for fun. My ears were ringing the whole 20 minute drive home. Kind of scary.

8. Luckynumber3

Luckynumber3 Senior Member

:laugh2:

I know that, but the op said full throttle- I know you want to crank the ouput tubes a little bt ive never heard of a jcm 900 having to be cranked all the way to have enough gain or sound better (I have heard that jcm 800s get alot of their gain from the power amp and sound way better cranked though).

Strato likes this.
  9. River

River Senior Member

[​IMG]

BTW, I'm talking pain while playing. I accept that in my fingies, not my ears.

10. budd

budd Senior Member

I didn't call you a liar. I was just sceptical about your claim that you regularly play it cranked until 4am in a residential zone. Our other guitarist has had the cops called on him with a 5w amp cranked.. let alone 100w.

As I said before (if it's true) you must have the best neighbours on this planet.

Strato, colchar and River like this.
  11. thrawn86

thrawn86 Senior Member

Yeah, full throttle is a bit excessive unless out of doors. Just another way to express manhood?

12. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

Nothing smells like a fully cranked Marshall in the morning

13. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I've rarely seen the need to crank any 100 watt amp full throttle. Most tube amps have a sweet spot on the volume where everything is cooking nicely and the real tone of the amp is coming through. That's usually pretty loud. Anything louder IMO goes through a PA anyway.

14. Bountyhunter

Bountyhunter Senior Member

I don't even crank my 5 watt Blackstar often. On the rare occasion that I play with a drummer, I turn it up just loud enough to hear it with the drums. My 60 watt that is, not the 5 watt amp. :thumb:

mdubya likes this.
  15. River

River Senior Member

Hence my saying: Marshalls move air, Fenders generate tone. :naughty:

Maybe I'm just lucky, but both of my amps sound great without being cranked. It's been proven that humans prefer any pleasing sound louder (up to the threshold of pain, that is), so of course they sound "better" louder. But I don't hear the "tone" changing. It gets sweet before it gets loud.

Maybe that's why I don't spend money on Marshalls.

Classicplayer and Jessenoah like this.
  16. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I can't handle it anymore. If I played out with a full band though.... :hmm:

Last drummer I played with had an electronic kit through a PA, which I was thankful for.

I just ordered another 5 watt amp on Friday. I might buy an L-pad attenuator to go with it. :D

River likes this.
  17. GibsonSG

GibsonSG Member

F#$%%in eh! I was starting to wonder about you guys. I crank it every chance I get (lol crank it) Ok jcm 900s get high gain at low volumes but they get good tone at high volumes. If you are worried about your hearing use earplugs. Don't be dumb.

18. colchar

colchar Banned

I just got a 2-watt VOX (L'il Night Train) and I expect I will be able to crank that but there is no way I would ever crank my 20-watt Hughes & Kettner.

19. deathover

deathover Senior Member

i usually play my marshall vm 50 watter at 7 or 8

20. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Even if the tone is better at extremely high volumes, what difference would it make when earplugs are muffling your hearing?

Denty, Funky54, cmh6122 and 3 others like this.