Who’s Les Paul Tone Are You Really Liking Right Now?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Dilver, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

...Con't.:

More than honorable mention goes to:

Alex Lifeson:

Gary Moore:

2. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

...Con't.:

Mick Ronson:

In particular, the other "Woman Tone":

mdubya and endial like this.
  3. scottsgh

scottsgh Junior Member

Obscure band, but Head East, live. Guy named Mike Summerville. Song "a little bit of my heart". When he goes full volume, his black beauty absolutely smokes!

trapland and jojo like this.
  4. thebird55

thebird55 Junior Member

I have to give a nod to Frijid Pink. Terrible vocals, but the guitar tone on "House of the Rising Sun" is to die for.

5. RocketKing

RocketKing Senior Member

Regarding the whole New vs Old thing and personal age I don't think age has much to do with it... I'm 31 and I started playing 7 years ago now.
    The tones I liked were coming from a Les Paul even before I knew what a Les Paul was.
    At the time I had know idea about the stage persona of these artists, I just liked their sound. Modern bands tend to sound quite standardized... The older tones sort of stand out more. Bit by bit I discovered all the great guys. I guess it depends on what music and sounds you like. If the people playing these tunes did so 30 to 50 years ago for me is irrelevant.
    Those songs and those sounds just "do" it for me.

trapland and endial like this.
  6. 99_Revolutions

99_Revolutions Senior Member

Personally I have to say Billie Joe Armstrong has the best recorded les Paul tone. He blends a P90 with a 59 Standard with the usual cranked plexi. It may be easy and boring music to some, but if you listen to the guitar stems from American Idiot, 21stCBD, and Revolution Radio, the Blend of the two guitars into Marshall’s is the best I’ve ever heard.

Alex Lifeson, PhilX when he demod les Paul’s, page, and Tom Petty and the heartbreakers always had some good Marshall to plexi tones.

endial likes this.
  7. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

Today it's Sean Costello's fingers and wraptail p90's.

endial likes this.
  8. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

John Squire formed this ill-fated little band after the Stone Roses. This track is great.

mdubya likes this.
  9. trapland

trapland Silver Supporter

Pretty much all the Electric tones on Physical Graffitti. I get it pretty well with an R9 with an ECP in the neckand a T-top in the bridge. I use a plexi through a basketweave cabinet with t1281’s, sometimes adding another half stack with a cab of g12-65s. Lots of middle position and a leslie pedal and wah. I could play that album all day. Still learning how to detune the piano right for Boogie with Stu.

Oh and 2,3,Houses and Presence tones are pretty fun too. Page may be out of fashion right now, but he’ll always be that guitar player that moves me most, long before I ever played.

My 71 marshall through T1221s does a pretty convincing Van Halen, Ive just haven’t practiced those chops. It also does Never Mind the Bullocks, maybe even better.

mdubya likes this.
  10. Dieselfeet

Dieselfeet Junior Member

Ronnie Montrose circa 'Montrose' album era. Lovely overdriven tone with lots of sustain and tastefully done :)

Midnight Blues likes this.
  11. jenton70

jenton70 Premium Member

This thick, crunchy goodness today.

12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

How did I miss this? The Cream and @Mouse fixin' to blow my mind! Two of my favorites!

Mouse likes this.
  13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I am a fan of Henri Cash's Les Paul tone: A pair of 3 string Bigsby'd Epi LP's tuned DGD run through a pair of Super Reverbs with extension cabinets. Henri is all of 16 going on 17 in this clip. The LP(s) appears at the 17 minute mark.

14. neoclassical

neoclassical Senior Member

Digging Jackyl (Jimmy Stiff and Jeff Worley) and The Cult's Sonic Temple (Billy Duffy's modded JM800) tones. My modded Laney AOR gets really close to both with my LP standard.

15. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I love most all LP tones...from guys playing country to metal. Some sound better than others to me, but I really can't of one where I thought, "that sounds like s#it"

As far as really liking one right now....Joe Bonamassa comes to mind.

16. Fretrattler

Fretrattler Junior Member

Joe Perry "Sweet Emotions" just the right amount of grit. Get this with my R9 and a tweed bandmaster 3-10.