Who’s Les Paul Tone Are You Really Liking Right Now?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Dilver, Oct 25, 2017.

1. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Jimmy Page on TSRTS.
    There's a ton of guitar on that live album.
    Dazed and Confused is epic.

2. BSeneca

BSeneca Senior Member

Although I didn't get into him until later in life, Peter Green. I am sure someone already named him. But his tone (actually lead tone, more than rhythm) is just killer. Probably as much his fingers as an amp or guitar but nonetheless, incredible

Midnight Blues likes this.
  3. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

The late, great Mick Scott. Cop his tone? Well, all I lack to pull that off is his '53 LP, his GBX amp, and his talent.

4. djem

djem Senior Member

i always liked Beck's tone on Blow by Blow

5. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Always good to encounter someone with a sense of humour! :welcome:

I kind of envy people under 40 then because there's a wealth of superb music out there from days gone by and I'd love to hear it all again with fresh ears. It's a logical fact that much of the good stuff was done in the past and re-interpreted (I'm being kind) because you can only invent something original once and there are only so many notes. Having said that, Led Zeppelin's early work was derivative and there's nothing wrong with that!
    I've just started listening to various older New Orleans based artists (eg Antoine Dominique "Fats" Domino Jr) after watching the series 'Treme' and also Duke Ellington's band. The past is a vast sea of wonder!

Classicplayer likes this.
  6. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Senior Member

I'm assuming Mike Campbell used his '59 LP on this track. It's got such a perfect woody yet crisp tone.

Classicplayer likes this.
  7. Cozmik Cowboy

8. Cozmik Cowboy

OK, I have no idea what happened to that post ^

9. jojo

jojo Senior Member

Although, you may be right on the age group of this forum, there aren't an over abundance players that are "current artists" that are known just for having killer les paul tone. I would imagine if anyone younger than 50 ( I'm 49 ) even gives a crap or knows what a les paul is/sounds like they would probably know many of the artists in this thread. My buddy who's 17 and jams LOVES most of the ppl mentioned in this thread and listens to alot of older rock/LP players. I love alot of current younger players myself and listen to alot of younger rock and metal, ( and my band also gigs with ALOT of KILLER young rock bands ! ) but there's not a ton of them who are known just for their LP tone.

10. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Blue Blood, Classicplayer and jojo like this.
  11. jojo

jojo Senior Member

Yea, there's no denying they borrowed some/were influenced some by others, but it's not a MAJOR % of their catalog imo. To not listen to them and dismiss them would be doing yourself a major disservice by not listening to some of the greatest music ever.

Classicplayer and Phil W like this.
  12. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Absolutely.
    It was normal to borrow stuff back then. Ask 'The Beatles' where they got 'Back in the USSR' from (The Beach Boys and Chuck Berry) or where 'The Beach Boys' got 'Surfin USA' from ... (Chuck Berry again and they paid up). Now ask any hip-hop act where they got just about everything from ... etc etc etc.

jojo and Classicplayer like this.
  13. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I try to listen to their songs i.e. "The Rain Song", "No Quarter", "Kashmir"; which to me, showcase Zeppelin to
    greater "orchestra-like" sounds. When I listen to those, I can easily imagine what a classical orchestra would sound like playing those pieces.

I believe that sometimes Page was summoning up sounds from his #1 that even he had not heard before; sort of like he was hearing these tones for the very first time: hence the extended jams the critics sometimes drew the line at.

As good as other Lester players were of his era, only Beck seemed to take as many chances as Jimmy and both (mostly) pulled them off. IMHO.

Classicplayer

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    PaulStratJackson and endial like this.
  14. Cozmik Cowboy

I did listen to them and did dismiss them long before I realized that much of the stuff they claimed songwriting credits (and royalties) for were direct rips from bluesmen. Most over-rated band of all time.

15. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

BL.jpg

C.J. likes this.
  16. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

I’m with this guy... when I pick up my LP ... those tones always come to mind and I MUST play a few of them.. every stinkin time

17. jojo

jojo Senior Member

LOL, JPJ and Bonham overrated ? HAHAHAHA OK ....as someone who was born in the home of the blues, that shit gets old...if Zep ripped anything off guarantee it was an improvement..... If Bonzo's drums don't give your earholes a hard on in When The Levee Breaks, you might be....well, nevermind LOL

18. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

Andy Latimer, Steve Hackett, Scott Gorham

19. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

Somewhat doubtful its a Les Paul ..

But I will accept the 'official' record.

This is one of the best examples of amazing music I have ever stumbled upon (no relation) online.

Get drunk and experience it yourselves ..

Spit James. Or perhaps .. Miller? I think Spit myself.

Mouse likes this.
  20. Cozmik Cowboy

Nothing angry about it; they just bore the living bejeezuz out of me. Volume, bombast, bad singing, and stupid lyrics. There's too much great music out there to waste my time with the likes of them.
    I know it's like a law that everyone my age is supposed to love LZ - and I tried, I really did; even owned IV when it was new. Owned it, but didn't much listen to it. You like it? Knock yourself out.
    I will say that, while Page's main claim to his status comes from being the 3rd-best guitarist the Yardbirds ever had, I did like his work with Donovan.