Who’s Les Paul Tone Are You Really Liking Right Now?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Dilver, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

Page, Frampton, Boston, Journey. The only tone I've been able to cop is Boston, and that's because it's so distinct that you easily know what to shoot for. With the others I've been more inspired by their playing styles but can't cop their tone worth a crap. I've tried to get Page's live tone for decades. Not gonna happen. I like the old school guys who plug Les Pauls into 70's Marshalls, but I prefer to use early Marshall master volume amps; the MV amps don't sound quite the same as a cranked non-MV model, but I can't be blowing my ears out every day. I don't gig much anymore, just jam sessions a few times a year with some friends. I'm mostly using a LP Traditional with a Marshall SL5. I like to put a small EQ in front, goose the 800Hz range a tiny bit (I'd prefer 700Hz, but the only one I know of that does 700 is the Rockman EQ, and those are unavailable to me), and wank along with Boston's first two albums. I also like to jam to anything that's bluesy, Blues/Rock or Smooth Jazz. I don't like a clean sounding or twangy Les Paul sound.

Midnight Blues likes this.
  2. Filipem

Filipem Senior Member

Jimmy Bowskill currently playing with the Sheepdogs. I would love to be able to get 1/2 the tone and sound he gets. I saw them 2 years back in Toronto they killed it. Jimmy is unreal live.

3. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

No apologies for liking Page. This is killer tone right here. (As for the sweater? Nope... ;) )

JonCanfield and endial like this.
  4. scottied

scottied Junior Member

I skew a bit younger at 32 years old... but my pick for a modern player is Lee Malia from bring me the horizon. He gets some beefy detuned bass tone. He has a USA custom and an epiphone he uses live... he has lots of good layered clean tone too when the singer isn’t screaming

5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

No matter what I posted before, Peter Green probably had the absolute ultimate Les Paul tone. I will never achieve this level of "supernatural" perfection, but I love to listen to it.

The only performance that rival's Jimi's Hear My Train a Comin' imho.

Classic, beautiful performance

Masterpiece

Midnight Blues and Mouse like this.
  6. LP Bob

LP Bob Senior Member

Anything by Jimmy Page from "The Song Remains The Same". It's the ultimate tone, just the perfect balance, not thin or the shrill high-gain garbage that most amateurs gravitate to to hide how bad they are. Listen to the solo from "No Quarter" and the "Dazed and Confused" jam improvs, cannot get any better. Or cooler.

7. 80sGuy

80sGuy Junior Member

Frampton Comes Alive! Slash! Mick Jones (Foreigner)! Gary Moore (R.I.P.)!

Midnight Blues likes this.
  8. woodpicker

woodpicker Junior Member

Betts! I've always loved all the variations of his tone from Filmore East, Eat A Peach and Brothers and Sisters. Lately I've been using a stock R7, KJL Dirty Thirty, closed back 2x12 w WGS V30's and a cable. Sometimes I'll hit the front end with a Snouse BlackBox to get into One Way Out land. Fun!

9. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

As has already been mentioned, Gary's tone on the live track Separate Ways from the Blues Alive video.
    The extended intro played on Stripe often reminds me of the Allman Bros Live at Fillmore East in many regards,especially when he uses the volume control to add shading to the song.
    Classic LP neck tone can be heard from Peter Green,especially the Live I've Got a Mind to Give Up Living.
    I first loved the LP tone of Jeff Beck on Truth.
    Of course Frampton on Performance Rockin' the Fillmore!
    I like Frankie Sullivan of Survivor, his tone live is great.
    I know I'll think of someone else but these come to mind.
    Gary's Stripe just has acoustically such a full sound and I think having the pick-up covers removed adds to the sizzle.
    Thanks for letting me share!

Midnight Blues and 1all's Pub like this.
  10. PaulStratJackson

PaulStratJackson Senior Member

Jimmy Page. Madison Square Garden, 1973

Mouse, Paul_Myles and endial like this.
  11. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

That's what I'm Talkin' about....right there! Thanks for posting this.

Classicplayer

PaulStratJackson likes this.
  12. PaulStratJackson

I was stunned that it hadn't been mentioned yet!

13. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

This thread is the official death knell for the Les Paul guitar.

Out of more than 90 posts about 2 or 3 mention musicians from this century (yup, we're 17 years into a new century) and the rest think that tones from 40 - 50 years ago are testament to the relevance of LP's in modern music...

endial, Filipem and Pwrmac7600 like this.
  14. PaulStratJackson

Perhaps...but modern LP tones from this century are usually derivatives of the tones from the last century by the Founding Fathers

endial and Classicplayer like this.
  15. pac655

pac655 Junior Member

Joe Bonamassa, Joanne Shaw Taylor and Joe Gooch

16. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

At some point in time, you most likely will be proved correct with respect to a decline in the Les Paul, because musical tastes change over sometimes a very long time frame; othwise you might have heard Page indulging in a Ragtime piece or two.

I think that the appeal of Jimmy and his Les Paul is more than just the name on the peghead. It has to a lot to do with his approach to making music and his creativity in doing it, combined with his visual image on stage. To me it was and still is "the whole package". I don't hear or see that currently, and if it does not happen again, then perhaps there will be a decline in the current popularity of the Les Paul. I (for one) sure hope not.

Classicplayer

endial likes this.
  17. VancoD

VancoD Junior Member

Well damn - came here to say this. :)

Also - John Sykes circa 1987 (Whitesnake's "Whitesnake" album redux of Cryin' in the Rain in particular)

18. VancoD

VancoD Junior Member

Could not disagree more - it's merely the fact that most tones I hear from current musicians that have "that real Les Paul sound" ORIGINATED from someone in the last century. Just like I don't credit Vai for creating the "dive bomb" on the whammy bar....

The Les Paul is alive and well in the modern age.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Classicplayer likes this.
  19. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

You know, i adore Jimi Hendrix for the music he created (yup, i am old enough for that) but to be frank, since then the groundbreaking tones he wrenched out of a guitar have been done by so many players that they are simply boring to listen to.
    "Oh look, another guy with a fuzz and a wah and playing the same licks"...

All these tones mentioned in this thread were new and fresh 6 decades ago, especially when combined with a music style previously unheard - and this goes for all the classics that we know and love. Me too, btw, i can definitely appreciate early ZZ-Top tone.

But if no one contemporary uses any of these guitars to get fresh sounds (not endlessly rehashing the sounds form yesteryear) or incorporates the old sounds into new relevant music, then this effectively means that those tones/guitars have outplayed their role in music and will go the way of the Dodo soon.
    Because in that case all these guitars are good for is reliving the past.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Classicplayer likes this.
  20. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

You are confusing tone with what were once new and cool music styles.
    There is no "that Les Paul tone" - all we see referenced here is a bunch of ancient rock stars who used LP's (or Telecasters, in the case of LZ) to achieve very different results.