Who’s Into Small Amps?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Dilver, Feb 28, 2018.

1. fett

fett Senior Member

A flea market find of mine was a Vox Cambridge Reverb. The V3, all tube. The flea market was a small one and we all knew each other. Buyers and sellers. The story goes that my seller snagged the amp from another seller before the market opened for $20. When I saw the amp in his space and saw all the tubes, I had to buy it. I gladly paid $200. We both won on that deal.

2. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Aural arsenal!!, man, I like that! Good band name!!

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I don't know if a Tweaker 15 or an 83 Super Champ qualify by the OP's standards, but they're my favorite two smallboys I've owned.

The Tweaker goes through a homebuilt 1x12 cab, built a little wide, because I'm not fond of the sound of small boxes. It is indeed loud, but I'm happy to say that where I live, I can take it up past 2 o'clock volume and really get the goods.

I sold the Super Champ long ago, and it's one of the few regrets I have in moving gear.

No surviving pics of the SC, but here's my living room rig nowadays. Note the earplugs ... they get used:

[​IMG]

Forgive the shitty cellphone pic.

cherrysunburst00 and bulletproof like this.
  4. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I'm glad you're using ear plugs. I want you to enjoy Sabbath for some time.

Nice lookin' cab

bulletproof and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  5. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

I have had one of the Monoprice blonde all tube 15W (Laney 12R) with a Celestion 12" for a good while now, and the more I play it, the more I love that little amp. I use the <1W imput (more than 1W) and it sounds beautiful. I have a vintage Legend amp right behind, a Blackstar combo beside it, but always play the Mono at home... Great amp....

A bud has a Princeton with a JBL 12" that makes me moist it sounds so good.

I also do not like the cheap ass stock speakers in most small amps... I want the speaker to do one thing...reproduce.....

bulletproof likes this.
  6. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Junior Member

Definitely the Palmer Drei is missing here, yet.
    Maybe at the first look not that kind of low powered amps, because it can get up to 12-15w - but wait.
    It´s a different story here, because it has got three different power tubes (EL84, 6v6, 6L6), which are single-ended class A each - means something like a preamp stage with three different power stages, each pushing about 5w max).
    For these being able to get mixed, you can finetune your tone.
    Myself, I tend to push the 6v6 the most, add grit by turning up the EL84 around 10 o´clock and let the 6L6 with only little action (about 8-9 o´clock) deliver bottom and air. No boxiness nowhere.
    It can push my 150w (WGS G12C/G10C) cab into the fat, almost clean blues heaven.
    Pictures will be delivered soon.
    Great little Amp. No Toy.

s´Zwieberl

bulletproof likes this.
  7. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Depends on definition of "small"... I am a bedroom player.. my 15W Laney IronHeart is even too loud for my use.. but I think it is still considered as "Small Amp"

20171212_212259~2.jpg

bulletproof and misterhatter6 like this.
  8. misterhatter6

misterhatter6 Senior Member

What are these, and where can I get one?

bulletproof likes this.
  9. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

It is interesting to hear Ade talk about why he made the original Tiny Terror. The fact you can get power amp distortion at reasonable gig volumes so the tone destroys the 100 watt head from the band before because he couldnt drive the amp properly.

I have heard this first hand more than a few times JCM amps made to sound like an MG because of the volume the venue or sound guy wants.

I use a Tiny Terror through a 1x12 cab which I consider "small" from a usual gig point of view. But, I am yet to find a reason to upgrade to a bigger rig.

10. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

The TT provides more than enough stage volume. I use mine with 2x12 beside a very loud drummer and still have plenty of volume to spare.

bulletproof, Classicplayer and rich85 like this.
  11. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

What speakers and ohms is your cab?

Thinking about going to Greenbacks

12. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Me too, I just can't justify the expense right now. In my 1x12, I use an Eminence GB128. It's a 50W take on the Greenback sound and I really like it. If they came in a 16ohm model, I'd be all over them in my 2x12.
    In my 2x12, I have a Celestion G12F-60 and a G12K-100. The latter is a bass monster whereas the former accentuates the highs. I find them to be a perfect match, but alas, I'm always looking to change things. Right now, my cab is wired for 16ohms, but I'd love a pair of GBs to wire up for 8 ohms.

bulletproof and rich85 like this.
  13. Lungo

Lungo Senior Member

Mahaffay Amps. He builds to order. Not sure what current build time is but mine took 6 months. They pop up cheap on the used market from time to time.

http://www.mahaffayamps.com/index.htm

bulletproof likes this.
  14. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

That seems like a pretty awesome selection.

I think we are in the same boat in terms of thinking. NOBODY is gonna notice if I switch my worn in V30 for a Greenback in the audience, and when you are happy with the sound anyway changing speakers feels somewhat pointless.

Doesnt mean I dont want a Greenback 2x12 though.........

15. sixlicks

sixlicks Senior Member

16. sixlicks

sixlicks Senior Member

17. sixlicks

sixlicks Senior Member

18. PAPADON

PAPADON Senior Member