White SG juniors - a question

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by reedy, Dec 16, 2015.

1. reedy

reedy Senior Member

Hey SG experts, hopefully the collective knowledge here can help me out.

Recently I've started taking an interest in early-mid sixties sg jrs. In particular, I'm really liking the Polaris white ones. So here's my question I've read that the fretboards on jrs painted white were bound while all the ones finished in red were not and that any white jrs without a bound board are almost certainly refins. Given Gibson's lack of consistency regarding production details I'm curios if this is true? I'd also be interested in seeing any shots of white sg anyone has, I'm curious if you can see the binding on the neck or if it's covered in white paint.

Cheers.

2. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

I have one here, and pics of one that passed by recently. Both have bound necks, both '65s. I'll post later this
    evening.

2 people like this.
  3. reedy

reedy Senior Member

Very Cool! Thanks, looking forward to some photos.

4. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. reedy

reedy Senior Member

Thanks for posting the photos, that is a beauty! It looks like the binding is actually painted over and the side dots were masked? Either way, sweet guitar. I saw your other thread where you mentioned how you got this one. Was there another white junior up for grabs? Oh, what year is this? I'm guessing '65ish?

6. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

This is another one I have in my care now. Both are '65s.

This one really has me curious. The finish looks original, but the headstock has something I've never seen so maybe it was re-done....

If you look, you can see the embossed serial number, but the front has no "Les Paul Junior" on it and there is a ghost of the logo underneath.

If any experts have any insight, fire away!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. reedy

reedy Senior Member

Oh, that's very cool. My understanding is that the Les Paul silkscreen was not used after early '62. As for the ghosting, I'd bet a defect in the finish that was corrected at the factory. At the time the lacquer wouldn't have shrunk back so the correction wouldn't be noticeable.

8. cdscarter

cdscarter Senior Member

My '64 SG Junior has what looks like a painted 'binding' along the fretboard. A little bit has come off between the nut and the first fret and you can see it isn't as thick as binding. Mine also has the really faint embossed serial number.

1 person likes this.
  9. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

All the white ones I have seen had the painted binding. Same with white customs.
    Sweet Jr, fleahead.:applause:

1 person likes this.
  10. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Not so faint as the paint is thick, but they are pretty shallow, my cherry '65 was as well.:D

1 person likes this.