White Room improv and some Waves Plugins.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Roger G Lewis, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Electroman67

Electroman67 Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  2. blues_n_cues

blues_n_cues Senior Member

if he spent as much time actually practicing as it takes for all those vids to upload to YT Joe Satch,YJM,& all those other guitar virtuosos would be out of work.:laugh2:

kidding,kidding....

1 person likes this.
  3. Roger G Lewis

Roger G Lewis Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  4. BonamassaFan

BonamassaFan Senior Member

as a huge Clapton fan I don't know whether to cry or be mad or both:facepalm:

3 people like this.
  5. Roger G Lewis

Why don't you download the backing track listen to it once post an improv and I'm sure all your Clapton moves will ooze out effortlessly and show us all how its done?

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I do a pretty cool solo-acoustic version of WR.

3 people like this.
  7. BonamassaFan

BonamassaFan Senior Member

I normally don't bother with call outs like this, but hey if I can get a hold of a wah, why not. If anything I have a video to share with MLP and friends

1 person likes this.
  8. Roger G Lewis

Well Thump and Bonamassafan that would be great. It would be great to hear both of your versions. The Acoustic one particularly would be nice to hear its always interesting to see interpretations of famous songs on Electric guitar on Acoustics.

I watched this version by Richard Thomson the other day, I'd love to hear a RT rendition on acoustic he is a fantastic player and very interesting character.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3hPfnUtRco[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  9. cheetah77

cheetah77 Senior Member

Is it possible there were latency issues while tracking?

1 person likes this.
  10. Roger G Lewis

Yes my Mac is an original Intel I Mac with a 2 ghz core duo processor and only 2 gigs of 667 MHz DDR2 SDram. The screen capture software coupled with video and so forth does put a strain on the machine.
    All that said my timing is pretty crap at the best of times and even worse on new( to me ) tracks.
    I actually posted this here in the recording studio section as I was messing around with some cool Waves guitar plug ins listed in the OP.
    Thanks for the question.:dude:

11. Roger G Lewis

Here you go, watch and learn?:dude::dude::slash:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMIvgyvI5CA]☺ Learning Guitar With Roger (Improvisation) - YouTube[/ame]

12. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

well, can't say it isn't different. I just have to admire your thick skin.:)
    I know I wouldn't be able to handle all that criticism.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  13. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I've got a webcam, but I'll be the first to admit that your abilities in posting videos outdo my own; you're very skilled at that sort of thing.

Once I figure out the software and such, I'll jump this thread up. Hopefully it'll give you a timely bump?

1 person likes this.
  14. Roger G Lewis

Critisism can be quite tough to handel , sometimes it is expressed in such a way that we can all feel attacked personally and in some cases that may even be the intent. Also when we do something like music it also involves putting our feelings into the song or piece of music and so it can seem like a part oneself is being criticised.

I read once a piece about some writer or artist who was saying that once the writing or music or painting or whatever it was becomes public it ceases to represent the original input or purpose or intent of the artist because the person interacting with whatever it is in question brings their own set of experiences to the piece.

This idea of detachment is one I have thought about quite a lot and read and studied a lot of other things which basically boil down to what philosophers call the Subject Object dichotomy. Looked at in this way a thick skin isn't really necessary and it also makes it easier to join in the discussion from a constructive point of view to continuing to learn from whatever it is that is being discussed.

Epictetus is quite good on this sort of question .

1. When any person harms you, or speaks badly of you, remember that he acts or speaks from a supposition of its being his duty. Now, it is not possible that he should follow what appears right to you, but what appears so to himself. Therefore, if he judges from a wrong appearance, he is the person hurt, since he too is the person deceived. For if anyone should suppose a true proposition to be false, the proposition is not hurt, but he who is deceived about it. Setting out, then, from these principles, you will meekly bear a person who reviles you, for you will say upon every occasion, "It seemed so to him."

The Internet Classics Archive | The Enchiridion by Epictetus

15. Roger G Lewis

I look forward to hearing it , and also to hearing Bonamassa fans version once he finds a Wah pedal to borrow.
    Incidentally has anyone else listened to the JB radio show o his web page where he answers questions about which guitars are being used in various songs, its an entertaining way to send half an hour and share some of Joes encyclopedic knowledge of all things chordophonic.

16. The Wedge

The Wedge Banned

I love how you look at the camera when you completely screw up on white room.

And what's with the disclaimer about it being your second take? If you need to do that then you probably need more takes, or just don't give a shit.

2 people like this.
  17. Roger G Lewis

Actually not giving a shit is closest to the truth ( in a very general sense), but not nearly close enough to make sense of what I was doing in this video or indeed to characterise how I relate to other people and their views and my respect towards and consideration of others, their views and context in my own life and mine to theirs.

Your approach to making videos ( if you do, and there is no expectation on my part that you should or would even wish too) may well be much different to mine and your way of communicating may also employ different coded ways of saying things. For me as I state above ´´the video is what it is´´, any larger interpretation is your own and I can not help you out past what I have already said.

Stating I made a second take is a ´disclaimer´. For me that is not a disclaimer it is a statement of fact. I wanted to do a completely cold improvisation to see what ideas if any would emerge from the exercise and I also wanted to spend some time exploring the plugins which I used in the recording. This is after all the recording studio section of this forum. I had also completely re wired that guitar earlier that day , re strung it and fixed the digital pickup selector switch which needed re soldering to the PCB so I wanted to road test the thing. ( perhaps to much multi tasking for some tastes, my you tube channel is my bench notes for various projects which are on going)Not to everybody's taste but no one forces anyone to watch and comment, not in this part of the world at any rate. Finally it is not a cover of White room it is an improvisation over a White Room Backing track heres another one over Beethovens Clarinet concerto, it is what it is.( actually me Practicing scales. )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upfvZM7gHPk[/ame]

Anyway I am glad you got some satisfaction from your interpretation of when I looked at the camera and what that denotes for you. A lot of the time when I look at the screen it is to see where the backing track is at or to look at the levels. If you prefer to think its some sort of embarrassment or anything else that is a matter for you.

18. The Wedge

The Wedge Banned

I want to hear the 50th take.

1 person likes this.
  19. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Since Mother said if I can't say anything nice, it's taken me a bit. And this is offered in the spirit of helpfulness.

Far be it from me to tell people what to do, but if it were me, i'd turn off the backing track, and not mention it in the title. Then post it as my just wailing around.

You've got some nice things going on in there. But they are seriously mis-contextualized by creating an expectation it falls short of fulfilling. Do yourself the justice of being heard for your own merits.

But then my advice is worth what you paid for it . . . (Coda)

EDIT:
    <quote>
    I read once a piece about some writer or artist who was saying that once the writing or music or painting or whatever it was becomes public it ceases to represent the original input or purpose or intent of the artist because the person interacting with whatever it is in question brings their own set of experiences to the piece.
    </quote>

This applies to intent. Is what we do the answer to an inner compulsion or external drive? This was explored ad nauseum in the realms of visual art when Outsider Art was all the rage. It began when curators discovered naive work by people who did it as a quirky obsession, like making fetishes and hanging them from the trees in their yard. The reason for doing so in the most authentic cases was superstition. Then after curators and collectors started buying these works, the creators began making them to sell, thus changing the intent and delegitimizing it as Outsider Art, since it was now being produced as commodity.

The second part about the receiver bringing their own experiences is inescapable, yet in part, also falls inside the role of artist as presenter. You are still responsible for the framework of expectations you create for your work when you present it. This refers back to where my first part of this post began. (DC al Coda)

3 people like this.
  20. Roger G Lewis

You are not alone in that. In future I will post in the heading 50th Take rather than improvisation to make it clear that I think the track is at its best.

When I posted this I did say I took a little more care than usual ( Probably more than 10 but less than 50 takes )

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hDF3bnks6E]Stormy performance - YouTube[/ame]