Which set of humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by whomeno, Oct 3, 2017.

1. whomeno

whomeno Senior Member

Looking at a set of
    Seymour Duncan APH-2s Alnico II Pro Slash Humbucker to replace a set of Seymour Duncan
    hot rodded set. What are every ones thought, should I or not and why.
    Thanks

2. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Change the Magnets to a2 in your current pickups first before spending the bucks on a new set. I would put an a3 in the neck and an a2 or a4 in the bridge. As I've said many times on the forum recently, It's easy, it's cheap and it's reversible. My $.02. Takes minutes. Experiment! No harm.

3. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

This might not be relevant, but I bought a gently used guitar a few months ago that had Dimarzio Titan aftermarket pups, that are the best sounding pups I've played on since 1959 . These are on a Carvin DC 127 neck through with a combination of alder and maple. The results might not be the same for all guitars. But if I swap pups on any of my other guitars, these are what I'll be getting.

4. whomeno

whomeno Senior Member

just odred the a3 for neck and a a2 for bridge. so we will see how it works out.
    Thanks

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

An A2 in a JB doesn't sound or feel at all like a Slash pickup- it is still high output, and it still compresses the sound. An A2 in a Jazz effectively makes the neck pickup an Alnico II Pro, which is very close to the Slash, however. I've found if you don't like the sound/feel of a JB, no magnet swaps are going to change that.

JohnnyN likes this.
  6. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

The Slash set is good - great if you aim for similar tone as Slash - and you may find them at a nice price. But you can also do what Zoobie suggest - put an A2 in the neck Jazz, and get a Slash for the bridge.
    In my opinion you can never go wrong with a pair of vintage output humbuckers in a Les Paul, and there's a lot to pick from depending on preference, and what nuance of tone you are amining for. I never liked the JB. For a higher output bridge pickup I much prefer the Custom (in different magnet versions).

7. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

As I said, cheap, easy and reversible. So if it isn't what you want you can try another magnet or put it back. There are videos on swapping magnets, so, I recommend you watch them, while you wait for the magnets. I have fun doing it. It only takes minuets. Just loosen up your strings, cover your guitar with a soft cloth and don't push too much on your covered finish or pickguard. You do have to protect the guitar. Oh yea Make sure tou put the magnets in the same direction as they came out. Be cautious when you pull the pickup out, making sure you don't scratch or dent it. Not hard at all. Have fun !

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  8. whomeno

whomeno Senior Member

I'm looking for the late 70 and 80 rock tone. I am also looking at the Alnico II Pro set. for now I'm running it through a marshall mg15dfx amp. I am open to suggestions on pickups also
    Thanks

9. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

I just got a guitar in trade and it has a titan in the bridge and I cant stand it. I could see it being good for someone who likes country or blues as I find it to be very spanky sounding. I cant wait to put something else in. I also had a ESP with them in there and I wasn't a fan then either. But in this Ibanez I got its just awful. I'm still searching for the perfect pickup. I found it but the maker stopped making pickups and he couldn't replicate a one off he made when he was still in business. Its cool you found something you like though.

10. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

IMO, the construction of a particular guitar may cause given pups to sound different in it than the same pups in a different guitar. So it is difficult to tell what given pups will sound like in a guitar unless you've had experience with the same pups in the same guitar.