which reverb?!?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by sk8rat, Jul 18, 2017.

1. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

looking for a reverb pedal but I dont know which to choose. right now the top contender is the tc hall of fame. would like to keep it under $100 used.

I have also looked at the mxr reverb and holy grail.

Death Incarnate likes this.
  2. Death Incarnate

Death Incarnate Premium V.I.P. Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I have both the Hall of Fame and MXR Reverb on my board.

Get the MXR, it is brilliant. All six of the settings are so rich and warm and amazing. All of them. The Epic, Mod, and especially the Pad (shimmer) modes are phenomenal.

I find the Hall of Fame very cold and digital. Some of the settings decay is very harsh. I love the Mod setting though, which adds chorus only to the reverb trail and use that a lot. The TonePrint setting is the best part, with so many great patches. The new HoF2 also allows 3 Toneprints instead of one.

Go with the MXR. After 10 months, I have never been disappointed with it. Every time I use it, I am blown away. In 20 years, it is one of the best pedals I have ever owned.

Rhust and sk8rat like this.
  3. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I've had and enjoyed the Digitech Polara, Mr Black Eterna and Strymon Blue Sky. They were all very good in their own ways, doing their different things! The MXR Reverb or the Hall of Fame v2 would be my next choice, possibly a Neunaber, but these days I get reverb from my DAW when I need it.

Seriously, the MXR was spectacular when I tried it.

sk8rat likes this.
  4. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

I think I might have to go with the mxr.

5. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I thought the way it melded with the overall sound was in a different league. A/B tested it against a Polara.

sk8rat likes this.
  6. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I plugged in the MXR just to demo it, after playing the "pad" setting, I had to have it and bought it right then and there.

kboman and sk8rat like this.
  7. space

space Senior Member

Diggin the eh holy grail

sk8rat likes this.
  8. lung plunger

lung plunger Senior Member

The holy grail is pretty good. I currently have my EHX memory toy setup for slapback.

9. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

I don't know where you can find the MXR for $100 or so... :dunno:

Check out either the Polara from Digitech or it's predecessor, the Hardwire RV-7. Practically the same reverb pedal, but the Polara has the Halo mode in place of the RV-7s Gated mode.

Rhust and northernguitarguy like this.
  10. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Americans get all kinds of ridiculous deals. I luv the sound of the MXR pedals I've owned/tried, but can I just make one complaint? They place the power jacks on their pedals in the worst place, right beside the input jack. Can be a real PITA for using right angle plugs. Same goes for my Tech 21 RvB Reverb (also a killer pedal the OP might want to consider).

bulletproof and Rhust like this.
  11. Eric R

Eric R Member

I have an old EHX Holy Grail (the old wedge shaped box)
    Love the simplicity of it. great reverb. Not using reverb often but when i do. It works great. Have it for almost 20 years now. It actualy was my very first pedal back then. Had no reverb on my amp so I got this for my birthday after months of nagging about wanting a reverb.

Never gonna sell this one.

12. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

even in america, with all our cheeseburgers and guns, we can't get that new MXR for $100... that said, I think most of us could sell something to make the difference negligible

I could not agree more about the power placement... why can't everyone F'ing agree that power goes on the top? (unless they want to put input/output on the top) but putting everything on the side is too damn much... the power plug gets in the way of the input/output jack!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  13. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Serious design flaw and they've been at it for decades. Nobody complained? The biggest beef is the power jack is below the input jack, right where a right angle plug needs to sit if there isn't a gap below it on the board. Tech 21 does the same, but on the output jack. Real piss off when playing pedalboard Tetris. Joyo Ironman pedals (my current favourite lineup of pedals) do the same as MXR, but the power jack is above the input. It does actually make a difference when setting up.

Rhust likes this.
  14. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

I've had the Strymon Flint on my board for a very long time now and I couldn't be happier. I can't recommend it enough.

I also occasionally use a Catalinbread Topanga when I need an extra wet reverb (surfy-kinda stuff).

...probably can't get either for under $100 though.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  15. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

<rant>
    the tc Electronic mini pedal do it on the input side (BELOW the input), mxr on the output... guess which 2 pedals I have next to each other? :( putting the power on the side of a mini pedal is stupid... it ends up taking as much space as the regular sized pedal!... mooer figured out how to put the power on top! get with the program, guys! the new OCD too... on the output side... when fighting for pedalboard space, it ends up wasting space.. it's so frustrating! on top with dealing with different pedal sizes, input/output alignments...
    </rant>