Which Orville by G is this?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Jakatone, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Jakatone

Jakatone Member

2. Jakatone

Jakatone Member

3. therealfrogman

therealfrogman ill Eagle Silver Supporter Premium Member

I have a 90 in tobacco, I think the price is high and the neck on mine is far from a 59 profile. Pretty slim, the pups should be Gibson Classic other than that I think the pots will be MIJ, it is said that these OBG's all have American wiring but this has not been my experience. Mine weighs about 8.5 lbs. I may be wrong of course, they were made in a couple of plants.

I like mine but wish the neck was a little bigger. BTW, it is not a 59 R, it would have feb blank trc.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    bluesriffdev likes this.
  4. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

As above. 59R will have FEB / nibs and should be equipped with a ABR-1, not a Nashville bridge. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression only the ones with nibs had nitro. Prices for Orvilles are getting ridiculous. They once seemed like great value but now 20-30 year old beaten up J/K serialed guitars are fetching close to / beyond $1000.

5. Jakatone

Jakatone Member

Ah, as I thought. So it's definitely not a 59 and the price is also blown up. Good thing these forums exist

bluesriffdev likes this.
  6. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

If it were me, unless you're really set on getting an Orville by Gibson reissue, I'd honestly just buy a Tokai or up your budget a bit and get a nice Navigator. For an actual 59R, not the one in this thread, it'd probably be $1500-$2500, which would get you a fantastic vintage Tokai.

7. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

No nitro on those. I'm pretty sure it's an ObG LPS-T. Pickups should be correct, they did use those in the early days. Yeah, the price is high too.