Which of these amp would be best for me?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by 62ohm, Sep 11, 2017.

1. 62ohm

62ohm Junior Member

I have considered the Catalinbread RAH, but I would like to get an amp that I like without any pedal if that's possible. And regarding DSL40C, I know it's not going to sound at its best without going loud, but I can still rely on its drive channel, right?

Well, to be honest my plan has been developed around the assumption that I can still get the Tweaker brand new. But even if I can't, I can probably get say, both Blues Jr. Tweed and Tiny Terror anyway.

That's a different beast altogether, isn't it o_O

2. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

In the same price range (maybe a used amp), I'd go with a new Supro, I own Supro Dual Tone 1624t. It easily gets Zeppelin tones at band volumes and with an OD pedal in front of it you can easily get low volume Jimmy Page tones. The Supro Black Magik should work well also.

Of the amps you've listed, I would go with the Vintage Modern, run it in LDR mode with an OCD pedal and your there. I have owned two VM's, two Tiny Terrors, an older version DSL, and a Tweaker 15 watt.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    62ohm likes this.
  3. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Ok. My experience with the dsl40c is this... for you the red channel is right out, may as well forget it.. it's a modern metal tone. I like my tone dirty as a stripper trying to make rent on the 30th of the month, and I still only ran the red channel on 2-3... way dirtier than page...
    So that leaves the 2 green channels, at low volume, the first one will not break up in the least... it's almost sterile how clean it is... so again, that's not jimmy page either... that leave the green 2 channel... the green 2 channel is like a warmed up JCM 800... so still a lot more gain than a plexi... it CAN DO IT... but not at bedroom volume... so much of his live tone is coming from cooking the power tubes, the only way to do it is turn the gain way down, and the volume up deafening, then add a little more gain to get you there, as needed... but the more you rely on the gain knob, it's going to get fizzy... and that's not right.. I even ran mine with an attenuator, but didn't like that either...

TBH, at bedroom volumes, my 6505 does page as well as the dsl, and that's not saying much. But the crunch channel really gets that crunch character better at lower volume

Honestly, maybe that's why the tweaker did work... I was able to crank it and cook the el34s, but keep it quieter than the dsl... to me, the dsl is really a high gain amp, that they threw a clean channel onto. I think it's closer to late 70s and 80s classic rock, than anything JTM or plexi like...

The tweaker is loud, but the dsl is HELLA loud.

The blues JR's only hope to get anything remotely page-y is a pedal like the RAH.. Or others mentioned.

The JVM is probably a great amp, I just have no idea how well it would work in a bedroom...

Have you looked at the orange rocker 15? It has a 1w mode that could be magnificent... I haven't played one yet, though

62ohm likes this.
  4. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

You can never go wrong with Orange. Great quality and sound.

5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Seriously, why have you not considered a phaez? He has an amp circuit specifically designed to cop page's live tone, and I e seen versions as low as 7 watts!!! And for what you are talking about spending, it seems a no-brainer to me

http://www.phaezamp.com/ampshop/en/

62ohm likes this.
  6. 62ohm

62ohm Junior Member

The problem is Supro Dual Tone 1624T costs even more (way more) than the Vintage Modern 2266 for me :confused: So yeah, they are not an option.

Unfortunately there aren't any store that sells the Orange Rocker 15 anywhere near the place I'm planning to buy..

Do you think the Tiny Terror would sound great at low volume, relying on the preamp gain?

Unluckily for me, I plan on buying it in other country (Indonesia) and my options are very limited :(

7. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

OK. I'll try it again. Find a Marshall Studio 15. What is the nonsense being stuck with certain picks? Is someone giving you one of those amps on your list? You are a bed room player. The Marshall Studio 15 is perfect for you and even has a .1 watt attenuation built in AND a headphone out.. As a True Marshall it will give you the exact tone you ask for.. I have had 3 of them.

62ohm and Rhust like this.
  8. frankv

Buy it in the states and I will ship it to you.

Rhust and mmd like this.
  9. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I'm sure the TT will sound great at low volume, my Dark Terror does. I own a Marshall too but my Orange amps always come first.

10. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

The TT is a good amp. But you started the thread looking for a page/zep tone and even though I like the TT, I think it needs something to get there, and it doesn't do the clean tone particularly well.

Many sellers ship all over the world. And you can even ship it to yourself, or get someone to ship it to you.

62ohm likes this.
  11. 62ohm

62ohm Junior Member

Unfortunately I have to move to Indonesia and, as the country has a 25% import tax buying one from overseas is simple unfeasible. Thus why I have to buy one from a local shop..

May I ask why do you use your Orange more than your Marshall?

12. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I'll throw a vote for the DSL40C. LOVE mine, and I'm a bedroom player. The green channel is where it's at, though the red channel becomes much more usable with the C19 mod. I've played it through a V30, Greenback (currently), and a 1960a cab with G12T-75 speakers, and it sounds awesome through all. No fizz at all, which may be a byproduct of the stock speaker, but I hear that goes away with breaking in. As far as the green channel being sterile and overly clean, I don't get that at all. Put the gain at around 3 o'clock and you start to get a sparkly dirty edge of breakup that is so nice. At full a nice light crunch that sounds even better with volume. Of course, that depends on guitar, but I get it with all my humbucker guitars and my Tele. Less so with a Strat. The green channel in crunch mode is bliss. Again, just around/before 3 o'clock on the gain is the sweet spot for me. I can get the red channel with C19 mod to pick right up where the green crunch channel leaves off at about 9 o'clock on the gain. And it just goes up from there.

13. Gooner

Gooner Senior Member

The CR 120 has a master volume and sounds great at lower volumes and the cr60 is similarly versatile.

14. frankv

Find yourself a used Line 6 HD300, a small low powered power amp like a Quilter and a 1 12 cabinet. You will have everything you could ever want right there. Don't make a mistake buying a too powerful tube amp for BedRoom play. I have been there and done that like 40 times. You will not be happy playing a tube amp with 40 watts in a bedroom. Can you? sure you can. Will you hear the goods the amp was designed for? NO you won't. Don't waste your money.

15. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Sage advice right there... I'd aim for the hd500, but the idea is the same. And you'd have years of pod farm experience to download all the tones you need

If your heart is set on the tiny terror, then get a red llama pedal and take it with you. It is an awesome pedal for thickening up the bottom end of an amp or removing fizz...and works perfectly with the TT. It was one of my favorite pedals to pair with it, and could almost make the TT do that thicker "whole lotta love" tone, which is what I felt the amp was missing to begin with... some of it could have been the 'voice of the world' speaker too... so a greenback would have helped

16. 62ohm

62ohm Junior Member

Okay, so I've just tried out the DSL40C, TT15C and Blues Jr. Tweed today, and I am genuinely surprised. Much to my surprise, I liked the Blues Jr. Tweed the most - it sounds "woody", if that makes sense. Don't know how to describe it, but I simply find it to be hard to dial a tone you don't like. I set the mid & treble at 12 (max), bass at 2, gain at 6.5 (or 5 if I'm using Xotic EP-Booster) and reverb at 2. The reverb... oh my gosh, what a luscious reverb.

The TT15C came in second to me. I like the ability to switch between 15w and 7w. But the gain... For my taste, I can only put it between 9 o'clock to 11 o'clock. A slight turn past the 11 o'clock and the gain become wayy too much for my taste.

Lastly, DSL40C... I came in basically looking to confirm my bias - that the DSL40C is the amp to get. The lead channel is completely unusable to me, this I know. But the classic gain with crunch on, I just can't get a lead tone I like. I like it for rhythm, but not so much for solo-ing.. No matter what I do with the EQ, presence, resonance, I just can't get a lead tone that I like. If I have the amp in my home and persevered with it, I would probably be able to get lead tone that I like, but to be honest if I have to persevere with an amp to make it sound right to me then that amp is not for me.

Haven't tried the VM2266 and Tweaker, but I think I've found the amp for me. Anyway, thank you very much for all of your help and advice guys, much appreciated !!

Rhust likes this.
  17. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

if you dig it, that's all that matters. it sounds like you found the amp that sounds like YOU :) and the blues JR opens up a world of opportunity to toss in a pedal or 2 to get you anywhere you want to go...

grats!

18. EndGame00

EndGame00 Senior Member

Older generation Tweaker had some issues with the OT. I believe Bruce's spec on the OT were not followed by the folks who made transformers for him...

19. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

that was some VERY early tweakers, and Bruce fixed them all under warranty, that issue was talked about a lot on the egnater forums at the time. but it was also fixed in short order... similarly there was an effects loop issue on that first run, that caused the volume to drop a LOT with anything in the loop... that was also fixed.