Which of these amp would be best for me?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by 62ohm, Sep 11, 2017.

1. 62ohm

62ohm Junior Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get an amp to get that Jimmy Page tone, particularly his live ones. I play Les Paul Traditional with 57 Classics with relatively low-gain and would only need 1 channel as I mostly rely on guitar knobs anyway. I also only play in bedroom. Which one of these amps do you guys think is best for my needs?

>Marshall DSL40C: I'd prefer these over the DSL15C for its 'crunch' setting on the classic gain channel. Probably won't need to use any pedals too and would almost definitely gonna use it at half power mode all the time.

>Blues Jr. Tweed: Tried one of these before, and I like it a lot. Probably gonna use my drive pedals (Xotic EP Booster -> SL Drive) to get that Marshall-y crunch, but I would prefer to not have to use pedals in the first place if I can.

>Egnater Tweaker 15w Combo: Heard a lot of good things on its versatility, but no way for me to try one out. Some people described it as great at lots of things, master of none? Can it do convincing low-gain 70s Marshall tone?

>Orange Tiny Terror: Also heard a lot of good things about this one, but never tried one myself.

or,

>Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 head+4x12 cab: Heard endless raving reviews on this one. Supposed to still sound magnificent even at low volumes, and that split gain control is intriguingly tempting. But at 50w, it is way too overkill for my needs and, for the price I can almost get both DSL40C + Blues Jr. Tweed.

Please advise, thanks guys.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    X–Ray likes this.
  2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Of what you have on your list, I am partial to the Tweaker. While I never directly attempted to get a 70s Marshall tone with it, I would say if that's the sound you are after the Tweaker should get you there. One of the things I did with mine was swap out the 6V6s with EL34s. You can do that with having to mod the amp. I preferred the tone of EL34s. To get "more" accurate a speaker change would help, but if you aren't super picky the Tweaker should please you, and you would have the ability to easily get other sounds if you wanted them.

The DSL40 never impressed me. I find it to be too fizzy. The Egnater doesn't (at least from memory) have that fizziness.

The Orange sound awesome, and I LOVE the Orange sound, but anytime I have played a single channel Orange I get bored quickly.

The VM Marshall would be MY choice because I gig and can play loud. But, a 50 watt Marshall is a beast. To get the tone you want, it needs to be loud, lol....

62ohm and Rhust like this.
  3. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Find a Marshall Studio 15.

4. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Having listened to many LZ Live DVDs I much prefer Jimmy's Studio tone.

Rhust likes this.
  5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

me too!

so a tele, supro and a tone bender.

lung plunger and Cjsinla like this.
  6. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

The Orange TT would get you the closest of those you listed, as Page uses Orange AD30's. Also take a look at Supro as he did some recording with those years ago.

[​IMG]

62ohm and El Pablo like this.
  7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

8. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

My advise? Don't buy anything unless you try it out yourself. One man's ear-candy is subjective to scorn by others.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the Vintage Modern to anyone looking for full authenticity. You really dont have to get ridiculous volume for good effect.

On the other hand the new PTS Sonzera has really good early Zep tones. It's not a modern fire-breather, and has awesome cleans to boot.

Good luck!

yamariv and 62ohm like this.
  9. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

imo, of the 3 mentioned the tweaker gets closest... the TT might be orange but it doesn't have the wooliness of the low end.
    I've had all 3, the blues JR is a good pedal platform
    the tweaker is easily the most versatile
    the TT is a decent classic rock tone, to my ears kinds plexi-ish, on the gain level... not super dirty, but not clean either... it's a one trick pony, but it's a good trick, esp when pushed with a tube screamer or OCD

62ohm likes this.
  10. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

11. sonar

sonar Senior Member

His basic tone is actually pretty straight forward and easy to cop. His PAF tone is pretty bright and his amps are all about the mids.

I haven't played the new Supro's, but most of the old 60's models (with 6bq5 power tubes) and the right OD or treble booster will get you there.

You're going to have to go out and play your choices. Amps are incredibly personal. Use the Blues Junior as your baseline.

If it was me and I had to pick from your choices I'd probably go with the Tiny Terror. It's more AC15'ish than Marshall and maybe a little too bright when playing with moderate gain For later LZ stuff, but overall it's probably my favorite tone of the amps you listed. And from a guy who generally dislikes Vox AC style amps, so take it with a grain of salt.

Not in your list - Try the new Supro's, maybe vintage, and consider a Fender BF/SF, either vintage or reissue. Although the BF to early SF tone is mid scooped, matched with a MIAB style OD like a Barber Direct Drive, Menatone KOB... gets you there.

62ohm likes this.
  12. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

IMo none of those. Get a Supro.

If you want to cop his tone and not get a vague approximation, you need more than just the run of the mill tube amp. IMO the Orange TT, Tweaker and Fender BJ fall into that category.

13. 62ohm

62ohm Junior Member

Hi guys, thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately I can't try all of the amps I mentioned (I can only try the DSL series, TT and the Blues Jr. Tweed).

Which channel of the DSL40 did you find to be fizzy? I would most likely never going to use the ultra gain channel, only classic gain / crunch classic gain.

As stated above, no matter what amp I play I tend to play it like it's a single channel, so would the TT be a good choice?

Unfortunately I can't try all of them, and for some reason the shops around me / that ships to me doesn't have the Sonzera yet..

Which one would you personally get if you're looking for that live Jimmy Page tone, though? Should I get the TT, or Blues Jr. Tweed and rely on pedals?

Seems like people gravitate more towards the TT and the Tweaker. It is interesting to see that no one here actually recommends the DSL40. Perhaps I should clarify on the pricing I get for these items:

(ballpark estimation in USD)

-VM2266 Head + 412 Cab: $1,250
    -DSL40C: $765
    -Tiny Terror Combo, Blues Jr. Tweed, Tweaker 15: $651

So yeah, I can almost get say, BJ and TT or Tweaker for the same price as the Vintage Modern head+cab. Probably that would prove to be the more versatile option, but what do you guys think?

14. Gooner

Gooner Senior Member

Are these vids any use?

62ohm likes this.
  15. 62ohm

62ohm Junior Member

Yeah I've seen those vids before, and while it helps to some degree I don't particularly like the tone they get with the DSL40C. Probably because of the settings as I do feel like the DSL40 didn't sound that thin when I tried it..

But still, I included the DSL40C into the option list because of that video :p

16. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

On your list, I would look hard at the Tweaker, then at the Orange. But don't buy anything you haven't played first. It's remarkable how many players I hear, admire their tone, then play the amp they use and can't figure out how to make it sound good. I know I'm the weak link, but I also don't think this is a terribly unique scenario.

Another amp worth looking at is a Peavey Classic 30 (or any amp in their Classic line of amps). FWIW

Sournote, 62ohm and Rhust like this.
  17. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

honestly, get the tweaker. if you want a marshally tone, put EL34s in it and crank it on the brit channel, and you are there...

OR run it on the clean american channel with pedals!
    OR anywhere in between... it's a very versatile amp, and one of the very few amps I regret selling...

I'll mention one more thing, then I'll STFU...
    all of the 15w tube amps, truly driven to jimmy page tone goodness are going to be LOUD AF in your bedroom. the 40C, is ridiculously LOUD even on the 20w setting...

so the tweaker + pedals is an insanely good option. and used(which the tweaker isn't made anymore, so you have to rely on used) you should have plenty to add a couple pedals... pedals are probably the best way to make a tube amp sound like a tube amp at reasonable volumes. (other than the real solution of going to modeling)

ones you should consider:
    catalinbread RAH (speciffically made to cop page's royal albert hall sound, which was made with hi-watts, not marshalls)
    the JHS superbolt (supro sound)
    marvel drive, or wampler plexi drive.

I'm a 90% bedroom player.. I play at church on sundays, and occasionally a metal jam on saturdays... I've tried a BUNCH of small amps.. including all 3 you mentioned+ the 40C, a 1964 tremolux, classic 30, blackstar HT5, kustom V15(which actually did a great page tone on the 4w setting until the speaker got broken in better), Jet City 50w, Jet City pico valve(HATED IT), and others before settling on the 6505MH

of all of them, the tweaker and the 6505 are my absolute favorites. and I even considered adding the valveking 20 mini head too. the peavey mini heads are AMAZING for the price... tube tester, DI out, USB out for DAW, headphone, switchable to 1, 5 or 20w, effects loop, etc.. and just plain great tone in a small package!

in fact, maybe the valveking 20 should be on your list... it checks all the boxes and then some. and can be a pedal platform too.

but the end-game for me, and bedroom players like me, even those who also play live is a modelling rig. helix, ax8, or amplifire probably in that order, and a couple PA speakers... play as loud, or as quiet as you want, and get all the tone.

at home I play a lot of different things, and I like to cop a ton of different tones... then I need to be able to play live and do different things... maybe jam on old metallica tunes, or some B-tuned metal, or clean church tones... I would really need several amps, or dozens of pedals to do it all the way I want... or 1 modelling rig.

ok, that was more than 1 thing. I'll shut up now.

62ohm likes this.
  18. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

sounds like the tweaker might be a good fit for you, but I've never played one so can't comment!

I do have an Orange OR15 and it is just kick ass for a 15 watt tube amp (goes down to 7 watts) and gets you great crunch tone that I think does Zepp very well if you don't go crazy with the gain. Single channel and does all kinds of sounds if you play with the knobs on your guitar.
    I still like the tone of my DSL40c better, however, but as someone mentioned its goddam loud!! The orange can get loud too, but the lower wattage makes it less piercing. I have a band though, if I was playing at home I would get rid of it most likely and try to get one of those 1 watt 50th anniversary Marshalls - actually have you thought about one of those??

19. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I did play an OR15, once... and TBH, it's a different animal than the TT... you wouldn't think so, but it's night and day... the OR15 would be a better choice than the TT, for sure.

oh, and the JTM 1 could totally rock for home users... but the $ is a bit hard to swallow. the last one I saw was over $1000... for that price, you could probably score a Phaez SIBLY

62ohm likes this.
  20. Gooner

Gooner Senior Member

How about this...

Or have you thought about the Catalinbread RAH?