Which O/D pedal for an LP?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by BanditPanda, Feb 5, 2018.

1. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

Please share you’re thoughts once you have some time with it. I’m looking at either the JHS Soul Food, the Rocket Archer or Wampler Tumnus to add to my board as a good clean always on boost and compliment my OCD. I’ll be using them with my R9.

BanditPanda likes this.
  2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Will do SoCal.

SoCal Flood likes this.
  3. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

The exact same thing happened to me with the MojoMojo; I bought one and used it for a bit but it didn't really do much for me, and I thought of actually selling it. Then, out of curiosity, I put it back on the board and started to REALLY(!) experiment with the controls, and now it's one of my favourites ever.
    One thing I discovered is to max the Volume control so the it really boosts the signal, then increase the Gain until you hit your sweet spot; when plugged into a Marshall set on crunch, it's just perfect. To me anyway.

BanditPanda likes this.
  4. SoCal Flood

Well @BanditPanda i just left guitar center with two pedals to try out. I got a regular Soul Food (prerrefed to have the JHS model but they didn’t have it) and they just happened to have a single Archer Ikon in stock so I grabbed it. I’ll be playing them with my R9 and through a PRRI that will soon be upgraded with Celestian Gold “10 (just for some context). I’m a rather new player but I’m a long time audio nut and I know what tones I like. I’ll report back with my results.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    BanditPanda likes this.
  5. BanditPanda

Good for you SoCal!! Well the Soul Food is for us commoners while the Archer is for you Boutique Brothers! lol Will you please get a Marshall for your Les Paul!! It's just not fair!!:rock:Let us know the results with the 2 pedals.
    BP

6. BanditPanda

Thanks for that Pauly. Well I guess I'll have to take it off the shelf and give the Mojomojo another spin and see what your suggested settings will produce.
    BP

Les Paulverizer likes this.
  7. brianbzed

brianbzed Senior Member

I go for a Tube Sreamer first!

BanditPanda likes this.
  8. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

I've tried almost every MIAB and OD pedal.
    MI Super Crunch Box and Barber Direct Drive are still here.
    I leave it on all the time.
    I have a Missing Link Peacock ordered.

BanditPanda likes this.
  9. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

Soulfood is an awesome pedal! I was thinking that it may bring a little too much punch to your DSL already ( for what you were sounding like you wanted).. I really like mine on my Fender HR and my 5F2, but you have one now! Either your Bluesdriver or Ts9 in front of it and let the neighbors know your gonna be keeping them up for a while..

BanditPanda likes this.
  10. chupe442

Are you running a compressor in this chain anywhere by chance?

BanditPanda likes this.
  11. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

I'm honestly surprised that your amp can't get you to the Tonez you are looking for without a peddle on all the time. Perhaps a little extra help in the reverb department might be in order.

Based on your description I might think the Pearly Gates are more high output than the tonez you are looking for (??) Maybe an EQ might be more what you are looking for.

BanditPanda likes this.
  12. PakWaan

PakWaan Senior Member

I’ve got an MXR GT-OD and I really like the sound - warm and smooth, nice growl when you turn it up. It’s built like a tank and at $100 it wont break the bank .

BanditPanda likes this.
  13. SoCal Flood

Well here we go. This is my first board and I’ve limited room so I’ve got to get this right. I gave in and added in a Tumnus to audition. The battle will be between the Wampler Tumnus vs Archer Ikon vs Soul Food (to compliment my OCD). If I end up preferring the Tumnus I may spring for the deluxe version and if I end up preferring the Soul Food I may spring for the JHS version. My only regret is I wasn’t able to get my hands on the silver Rocket Archer to audition with these. Anyways, decisions decisions!
    48CA9891-4A41-4DD3-A9BF-219BDB5E39B3.jpeg

BanditPanda likes this.
  14. chupe442

I was never a fan of compressor pedals and was pretty much stumped on the love for tubescreamers and overdrives when there was so much fun to be had with straight up great distortion pedals... That said, I picked a (cheap) Joyo JF10 Compressor. Life changing... Compared to the SP Compressor, I actually like the Joyo more. May be something to look into if you have the spare coins. The little bit that a compressor does in the change is HUGE for an OS/TS pedal.

BanditPanda likes this.
  15. Mustard Caps

Mustard Caps Senior Member

88-91 Marshall.. The Guv'nor.

Although $300. The Mayer 4644 Drive, is by far my favorite Medium Gain, Non Coloring Drive ever.
    The pedal has a Feed Forward design, and has a huge Ultra Wide Band frequency response ( 10Hz-100kHz )and will work with any Guitar, or Amplifier combination.

Tone Knob is really more of an EQ to match your Pickups for either Neutral, or can Shift the Harmonics either Higher, or Lower.

The pedal wont do Muddy Bass, and has clean clear, bright, but not harsh highs.

Also has 2 x Buffered Outs x 1 Hardwired True Bypass, so you can take your pick, and also use the Splitter to drive 2 amps, or pedal boards. upload_2018-2-8_11-44-5.png

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  16. Mustard Caps

Mustard Caps Senior Member

Barber Direct Drive

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    BanditPanda likes this.
  17. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I have a Marshall DSL40c and use a Boss BD2. I do use it more for my single coil guitars, but you can play with an OD on humbuckers and the amp to get a sound like stacked OD pedals, using just the one pedal :)

BanditPanda likes this.
  18. space

space Senior Member

My fav's
    Marshall BBII
    EHX East River Drive

BanditPanda likes this.
  19. Prospector

Prospector Premium Member

I have likewise found that the OCD on the LP setting works well with Les Paul and Marshall circuits for a low overdrive sound. Now, here's the secret sauce: for solos and heavier drive, put an Xotic AC Drive behind the OCD. Those two pedals love to be played together!

BanditPanda and Classicplayer like this.
  20. BanditPanda

I have a comp but not on my board at the moment.