Which microphone should I buy?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Jackangus, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

Just ordered from Amazon the MXL 770 Cardioid mic.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    drpietrzak likes this.
  2. Gem23

Gem23 Senior Member

It probably won't be much better than the on board zoom mics. It gets good reviews, so, it's a thing. You could afford a dynamic too then? All the best.

3. drpietrzak

drpietrzak Senior Member

I really like Heil's P-30.

Gem23 likes this.
  4. Gem23

Gem23 Senior Member

Yes, a great mic company. Unfortunately rare over here.

5. LiveSimply

LiveSimply Senior Member

I've used the Sterling ST55 Condenser mic to record my acoustic guitar and voice at home.

It has worked well for me and I think guitar center has them at clearance prices these days.

Only caveat is that I don't have a lot of recording experience so I can't tell you how good the quality is relative to other mics (it's the first and only condenser mic i've ever owned). All I can tell you is that for my home recording purposes it has done a really good job.

6. TheWGuitar

TheWGuitar Senior Member

I have to +1 that one for sure. I have 2 MXL 990s and a 991. I record my vocals and acoustic guitars, and drum overhead with the 990's, and have done vocals and acoustic with the 991 as well. The 991 has saved me when I needed to sing and play guitar at the same time (which I suck at, but am getting a little better). I would look down at what I was playing, and lose singing volume when using an SM58. The 991's condenser has a wider pickup pattern than an SM58, so my singing level remains consistent even when looking down at the guitar for a second...but it rejects a ton of stuff to the sides and behind it that a 990 would otherwise pick up. So it's perfect in my little basement studio for singing into for live recorded jams.

Overall, those are dynamite mics for how cheap they are, I think they sound very pleasant with good low end response as well.

7. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Great video of Sting using sm58, he can use anything really cause his vocal is incredible by itself and not to many mics will fvck that quality but i agree, in most cases 58 will do very nice job using the mic preamp.

I came across this Beyerdynamic tgx 58 mic, i think it's their version of sm58 but with a little tailoring, bit more lows and highs, in a good way. Fairly good on acoustics and my Baritone vocal range ( european classical - tenor2/baritone voice). Just my voice through range in the link below. Street price of this mic should be about $50

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017