Which microphone should I buy?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Jackangus, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

Hi guys, I have just purchased the Zoom H4n Pro, with the help from you good people.
    I am now looking to get a decent microphone.
    I only play at home by myself, and want a microphone that will work well with my vocals and my acoustic and electric guitars.
    My budget is about $200US.
    I was thinking a condenser mic would be the way to go.

What do you guys think?

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Shure SM 58 is great for vocals and good for the rest. SM 57 is vice-versa. You can have both with your budget (maybe new a bit more, but used, certainly within).

Protip: Replace the cage on a used SM 58 before using.

GitFiddle, jeff_farkas and lunchbox like this.
  3. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

The ZOOM mic on it's own is pretty damn good. We record practices with one all the time and they're pretty clear just set up in the room.

Our singer uses a Sennheiser e835, which these days seems to get better reviews than the industry standard Shure mics.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  4. northernguitarguy

Not doubting you at all, but if I went for one, what might be better?

5. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

I'm cheap and don't want to spend any $$, so I would use the ZOOM mic. They sound pretty good for just recording a practice or whatever.

Between Shure SM58 and Sennheiser e835? I'm not a singer and can't really tell the difference, but our singer likes the Senn better. They definitely don't feed back as much as the SM58. A few refviews say they have clearer highs and more present bass/lows as well. But wth do I know; I'm just a guitar player.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

TheWGuitar and northernguitarguy like this.
  7. northernguitarguy

Ooh, I like the idea of cutting down on feedback. I'm assuming this would give me more headroom in my floor monitor.

lunchbox likes this.
  8. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

The Shure 58 is a dynamic mic, I think a condenser mic has better sound if I am at home.
    At least that is what I have read.

9. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

I would think so. I think they sound good. But so does the SM58. /shrug

10. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

You won't go far wrong with SM58 and or SM57 for home, live or in a studio, even though they are dynamic mics.

11. Gem23

Gem23 Senior Member

Is there phantom power on the zoom thing?
    If not, there's no point in getting a condenser mic. If there is, you could look into any of the RøDE mics, they are reliably good. If not SE electronics make good condensers..
    Another great dynamic make, are EV.

12. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

I'm pretty sure it has phantom power.
    I want to go with a condenser mic. I may as well, i will never play live. Just at home, no other noises or movement.

13. Gem23

Gem23 Senior Member

Great. RØDE NT2A springs to mind. Multi pattern and low cut switches.
    Probably looking at 2nd hand, but I dont know what they go for over there.

14. Gem23

Gem23 Senior Member

Another impressive company I have a condenser from is Studio Projects, I'm not sure where they are based, and if you can buy them there. There are lots of other companies making condensers, too many, but you can trust known makes..

15. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I would actually stick with the built in mics. They are quite good. AND as a super-duper bonus....stereo! You'll get much more realistic imaging especially if you record a group. 57s and 58s are great mics but for them to really shine you also need a good mic pre. BTW I prefer a good old 58 to the Sennheiser e835. The 835 has a more hi-fi sound...crisper top which dazzles more than the Shures when you first try them. But I like the way a 58 sits in a mix for vocal, it's warm, friendly but also it's familiar sounding.

One of my favorite live off the floor recordings, the lowly 58 does the duty for Sting's vocal...and it sounds great! I recommend watching the whole thing....all 11 tracks. It was recorded all in one weekend in Sting's mansion. Produced by the legendary Hugh Padgham. You think these guys could have used any vocal mic they wanted to? You bet!

Mouse, yeti, GeeJay and 2 others like this.
  16. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

^^^^^^^^^ Freddy, you look like you could be Gordy's brother. Are you keeping something from us?

Great videos from those sessions. Of course having Vinnie, Dominic and David to suss out the other parts doesn't hurt!

When I went to see them, they were just as good live. What a treat! Sting has a lot of diamonds throughout his career.

17. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Freddy saves the day, phew. I was about to post something regarding the advice given above but Freddy beat me to it. 58's are not usually the mic that sounds best soloed, most mics with a "tailored " response will sound "better" that way due to "flattery", but who soloes a vocal track except the engineer? The good Sennheiser dynamic mic s for vocals are the 431 profipower as well as 441 and 421 but they are out of the OPs price range.

18. Gem23

Gem23 Senior Member

Sorry, I looked the zoom H4n up, and like a few folks said here, the stereo condenser zoom mics would do well by themselves. But also would be good to have a dynamic mic for a different sound, mixed in. Sometimes a guide vocal done on a sm58 does sound 'better' than the later properly tracked expensive condenser... it suits some voices better than others.
    Its good to have the choice with a dynamic.

19. Jackangus

Jackangus Senior Member

I only have the budget for one mic, a condenser mic has to be the way to go.

Gem23 likes this.
  20. Gem23

Gem23 Senior Member

^fair enough. All the best with your recordings. You may want to add a dynamic mic at a later stage tho.

Jackangus likes this.