Which Marshall in a box type of pedal are you guys loving with your LP's?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by alnico59, May 21, 2017.

1. etzeppy

etzeppy Senior Member

It's too valuable at this point to mod, which why I built one using the original design. My DIY version sounds very close to the original. I just need to get around to boxing it up. Right now it's just the guts.

RocknRollShakeUp likes this.
  2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

Great post '59 ! Just to say your metal panels wouldn't be plexis now would they lol.
    BP

alnico59 likes this.
  3. BanditPanda

Read some reviews and have some listens to the Ramble Marvel FX V3 for that plexi sound if that's what you're looking for. Has the tone controls you\re looking for too as well as a 9V and 18V switch for a little more juice. I sent the Plexi Drive back. Didn't do it for me.
    BP.

4. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

You could always build or buy a true bypass/loop box for it so that it's taken right out of your chain when you switch the bypass box out.

etzeppy and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  5. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

The Marvel is also under consideration! Did you have the Plexi drive deluxe, or the original small one? What did you find lacking? What amp where you playing it through?

I think the other problem for me is that I like to have a pretty bright chimey clean sound as my basic tone, which lots of drive pedals can't handle well.

I feel like I'm on the dangerous verge of a MIAB buying splurge (yikes...must maintain!)

6. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

I think that's a great idea.

Rich likes this.
  7. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

That's really cool, i wish I had those mad skills:jam:

Rich likes this.
  8. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Thanks!

I don't about now? But there was a time when every non-master four hole Marshall head were being called a "plexi's" LOL. That was when I sold mine and tripled my money. However it's probably now worth more! I also had a '71 and a '73 50 watt. Oh well, I think I'm more of a JCM guy anyways.

Rich and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  9. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Pretty much all I own is Marshalls... and I still run pedals. I just like the extra bite.

Just got a JHS Angry Charlie v2, that so far I'm really liking. And already have, and always enjoyed my EHX Soul Food. Traded an OCD for the JHS. The OCD is a great pedal, and worked well with my Egnater... was too muddy with the Marshalls. The JHS is actually more articulate than the SF, even at its highest gain setting.

10. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

[DELETED]

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  11. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I have a near mint Class 5 but it sits unused in my apartment. Technically I don't need a MIAB, but I bought a (quite cheap) Outlaw Deputy Marshal. I wanted to run that into my old mixer but haven't got it dialed in yet. It has tons of gain, but might sound better without the gain and my DS-1 ahead of it instead.

If I can get a suitable sound out of it, next I'll try a Dumble In A Box, but it's more than three times the price for a One Control Golden Acorn Overdrive Special.

12. BanditPanda

No not the Deluxe. I have this thing about too many control knobs lol. I work on the premise that I have a pedal for every tone I want to use i.e. MIAB for that tone, a FIAB for that tone, an Ampeg IAB for that tone. I set each up for the perfect tone and step on 'em when I need 'em.
    With these multi knob boxes it's like you'd need to be kneeling down and adjusting the knobs
    for every freaking tone you want. ymmv lol.
    I use a Marshall DSL40CV. Lacking? Well of course some people love that pedal and of course Wampler is a first class maker but it didn't give me the Marshall thump that I was looking for. Read about the Marvel's High Treble and Normal channels which allows for the dialing in of the " jumpered " Plexi tonality which of itself is pretty dang cool!
    BP

13. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

I can dig it. I think I like just enough knobs to get me the tone I want, hehe. I think having a presence knob to help adjust for amp brightness and a mid knob to help punch through the mix may be very helpful. Let the search continue...I keep telling myself that it's really about the journey and not the destination...us and our first world problems LOL

Rich and BanditPanda like this.
  14. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

The original Marshall Guv'nor,in my book,is the closest thing to a Marshall in a box.Got the logo too.:dude:

Plugged directly into my 1989 Bluesbreaker combo..ala Gary Moore of the period...and it just wails with sustain and cutting tone...makes you want to bend and vibrato,squeeze that note till it sings with feedback!:)

marshall-the-guv-nor-113818.jpg

I still have mine in storage.I got it in '89.The reason i don't play it is precisely because it does what its supposed too!

... along the way it makes every amp i play sound like a Marshall,including my Fenders and Hiwatts.Some may want that,i don't.I prefer a pedal that leans toward letting an amp keep its own voice.This is a very coloured pedal,in favour of Marshall,despite the eq flexability.

Nevertheless, that 3-band EQ is very useful in a club setting where sometimes you need to dial up the sound to suit the room characteristics.You cannot get a fender tone out of it,imho.Just my ears say so...You can plug this sucker directly into the PA and sound like a Marshall stack.

I've never sold it because,while i have no use for it now...down the road,it could be useful again,as it is an outstandingly well built,solid,great sounding pedal.Could be the go-to in a small club requiring that Marshall stack sound out of a fender combo,or directly into the board/PA.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Rich and RocknRollShakeUp like this.
  15. BanditPanda

Well yes Rogue that's what the Amps In A Box are built for. To provide the tone of the amp they are made to emulate. In fact they will not provide what you are looking for i.e....".I prefer a pedal that leans toward letting an amp keep its own voice."....
    That's why the Guv'nr is not on your board.....'cause you don't want to sound like you're playing thru a Marshall...... lol.
    Sorry, guess I'm stating the obvious lol
    BP

16. BanditPanda

First World problems...yeah..I hear ya.
    It's about the journey AND the destination.
    The journey is foreplay and the destination is........fill in the blanks lmao.

17. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

Hehe Brilliant !

18. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Member

Maybe the Guv'nor was so good It was competition for the amps themselves :)
    If Marshall reissued the guv'nor, made it true bypass or gave it a righteous buffer, and maybe made it smaller, it would sell like crazy!

19. etzeppy

etzeppy Senior Member

The circuit itself it not very big. It would easily fit in a smaller enclosure.

20. Jack S.

Jack S. Senior Member

JHS Angry Charlie. I love it with any amp I've ever put it in front of.