Which Marshall in a box type of pedal are you guys loving with your LP's?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by alnico59, May 21, 2017.

1. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I currently have the Lovepedal Plexi 800, the original Purple Plexi and the M22 Rock Crusher by Freakish Blues. I had and sold the Catlinbread DLS I, II and III after not being impressed all that much with any of them. I also just pre ordered the PAL 800 JCM Emulator. As you can tell I prefer the JCM 800 side of things. I find I get better results using the hotter pedals and then turning down the volume and tone knobs on my guitars to make any adjustments. That way I can go from blues to hard rock and everything in between.

I've also noticed a lot of these types of pedals are voiced with a fat tone and dial in nicely with single coils. So I'm curious which ones you guys are using and liking with your LP's. The type of music you are playing too would be helpful.

bulletproof likes this.
  2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Senior Member

I have the Marvell FX on my board which I love with my LP. It's a Plexi in a box.
    Whether it be AC/DC /ZZ TOP /Thin Lizzy , whatever, it is a pretty amazing pedal.
    I have just purchased the Xotic BB (BluesBreaker) Preamp which does what it says it can while being a very versatile pedal.
    BP

3. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

I use an MI Audio Super Crunch Box and a Rivera Double Shaman. Both hit Marshall tones very well IMO although the SCB goes beyond it and is a versatile pedal. The DS is pretty cool for Slashy type tones, not that I specifically chase his sounds. It aint as versatile as the SCB but still offers a lot with two incredibly good sounding voicings.

bulletproof, alnico59 and BanditPanda like this.
  4. afranke

afranke Senior Member

friedman be-od and mxr evh 5150.
    the 5150 through my jvm satriani clean channel gives a
    very convincing early evh plexi tone.[gain at about 10-11 oclock]

bulletproof and alnico59 like this.
  5. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Member

Xotic SL Drive does a great hot-rodded Plexi tone and even gets almost high-gain if needed, and has internal DIP switches that let you tweak the sound effectively. The Marshall Jackhammer does a surprisingly good JCM800 imitation on the OD mode (don't care as much for the Distortion mode). The Mid controls (level and center frequency) are really useful for shaping the tone to suit your amp's core sound.

lakeburst, bulletproof and alnico59 like this.
  6. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

I have soooo many favorites and plans to try more.

Right now for the JTM45/Plexi thing I'm gonna say ZVEX Box Of Rock, and you get a great boost.

For the Hotrodded Plexi/JCM thing, the JHS AT is awfully good. Also the JHS Angry Charlie V3. The AT is basically a modified Angry Charlie with a setting to control output and compression level.

Plans to try the Friedman BEOD soon for the higher gain sounds, and the JHS Charlie Brown V4 for the Plexi thing. Also might try a Marvel Drive at some point, and I'll keep trying them.

The MXR 5150 OD pedal sounds fairly modern to me, more of a true 5150III vibe to me...Some say the same about the Friedman but I hear more "Marshall" from what I hear of the BEOD than I do the 5150. I'd say for old Ed, get the BEOD and for new Ed, the 5150 OD. Just my opinion.

To me the Catalinbread DLS is a cool pedal, but only the first two versions with the switch. When they did Mk2 and Mk3, it kinda took away the magic from that original DLS v1/v2 with the rock/rawk switch. The V2 DLS was one of my first boutique pedals. The way to use it is by putting it last and using the drives into it, like a true amp. Not much gain in the DLS v1/v2 by itself. JMO.

lakeburst, Rhust, BanditPanda and 2 others like this.
  7. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I love my Joyo Hot Plexi. Great hot rodded Plexi tone. Not really a JCM tone. Fuller. I play it with classic rock. Gain goes between lots of gain to lots and lotsa gain. Does clean up a bit when rolling down the guitar volume.

8. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Currently it's the Rockett Animal. I love it for crunchy, rhythm tones and I find that it has a very balanced compression, which makes it pretty versatile for both rhythm & lead tones (not always the case with other, similar pedals).

The amp is a Vox Nightrain and I use it for everything from dirty blues all the way to hard rock.

I have owned in the past the Crunch Box (stellar for big leads), HAO Rust Driver (excellent for old-school plexi tones, but not JCM-800-ish), the Fulltone OCD (yeah, ok, it is not advertised as such, but it came pretty damn close) and the Box of Rock (the worst one by far, did not like it at all).

El Pablo, bulletproof and alnico59 like this.
  9. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Original Marshall Guv'nor pedal.

lakeburst, bulletproof and alnico59 like this.
  10. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Interesting. No Lovepedal love?
    I know the ones I have are quite difficult to find now. But I heard Sean is building them "old school" again.

bulletproof likes this.
  11. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I had one of the Eternity E6's for a while. It sounded pretty good. It was too noisy for me, though, and ended up gathering dust until I sold it on.

I've tried the Maxwell, Charlie Brown, AT and SL Drive pedals. None of them lasted long on my board. A real Marshall isn't just about mid-range. A great Marshall has plenty of top and bottom end to the tone too. None of these pedals had that through my rig.

Right now, I'm really enjoying the Friedman BE-OD. I've got it dialled right back, and I'm boosting it with a KTR in front and a TS behind for lead tones. It has all the top and bottom end I couldn't find in the other pedals, and it's much more dynamic and open than the others were too. It's knocked 3 other pedals of my board since I got it.

kevinpaul and bulletproof like this.
  12. James R

James R Premium Member

My favorite pedal in the whole world is the Xotic BB.
    I doubt it will ever leave my board.

bungle, lakeburst, kevinpaul and 2 others like this.
  13. doitforvangogh

doitforvangogh Senior Member

Gotta second the ZVex Box of Rocks. Gives me all I want.

14. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Wampler Plexi Drive, before I sold it and others after going Kemper and Axe FX.

Rhust and bulletproof like this.
  15. sonar

sonar Senior Member

For up to moderate gain, non-hot rodded MIAB's I've yet to hear any better than the Menatone and Barber offerings on BF/SF Fender amps. These 2 small companies have been doing MIAB type of boxes since the late 90's.

Most "hot rodded" MIAB's sound like 80's distortion boxes to me.

16. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

For moderate gain, I like the Ramble FX Marvel Drive; for everything else Marshall, the XTS Atomic Overdrive is flexible and a real killer.

bulletproof likes this.
  17. derek1977

derek1977 Senior Member

I own a BB Pre Comp and I play blues/rock. It gets me to Marshall town and is quite versatile.

bulletproof likes this.
  18. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Haha that's because they are! Modding Plexis (ala Jose) came about in the 80s when the LA guys wanted more juice from their Plexis, because the higher gain JCM800 wasn't out yet. When the 800 came out, most of them made the switch. There wasn't much Plexi modding in the AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc days. That came about mostly from the 80s "hair metal"/hard rock glam stuff. Which I happen to love. :D But yeah, for straight up Aerosmith-y stuff, the modded versions of Plexis aren't needed. Too much gain. The hotrodded Plexi/JCM800 thing was strictly an 80s thing.

BanditPanda, bulletproof and alnico59 like this.
  19. ddh101

ddh101 Senior Member

Any variant of the JHS Angry Charlie. I personallly use the first iteration and love it.

lakeburst, GibsonKramer and Rhust like this.
  20. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yaaaaa man,I love my ole folded-box COT-50....nails that early Billy G very well. I really like the Xotic SL,too. Ive been a Lovepedal guy since '07. Sean can build a damn good pedal. Very glad hes going back to old school.

kevinpaul and alnico59 like this.