which make/model of old japanese les paul type guitar to buy

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by ii-V-I, Dec 27, 2017.

1. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Hi everyone. I just joined the forum because I'm looking for tips on which make/model of old japanese les paul type guitar to buy, and, just as importantly, where to buy from. My budget is $1200 for the guitar and any parts and work needed. I'd rather pay $800 and have a little leftover to pay for some new pickups and whatever other hardware needs replacing or fret work that needs to be done. If I was to spend $1200 on a guitar, I'd need something that was ready to go as is.

First, I should ask: is this even realistic? Based on my limited research, it seems like it might be. But you guys seem like you would be able to give me the straight talk.

I have to admit that, though I'm an experienced player (mostly a tele and jazzmaster guy), I have never owned a Les Paul, and I really don't know much about LPs, apart from the basics. I know just enough to think I want the classic recipe of mahogany body, plain maple cap, bright and low output PAF style pickups, one piece mahogany neck with long tenon, tom & stp. Looks are not super important to me, but I prefer plain top bursts and chrome hardware. I prefer chunky necks and big frets.

I've been reading up on Tokais, Edwards, Greco, Burny, Orville, etc. but I'm kind of flummoxed as to what to buy, and who to buy from. I know I'd like an old guitar, though. Maybe late 70s or early 80s. I just like the feeling of worn-in guitars, and I don't want a new, shiny instrument. I live in New York City.

Any tips, suggestions, or guidance would be most welcome. Thank you.

truckermde likes this.

2. free713

free713 Senior Member

Ive tried a lot of older Greco and Tokai guitars and not many fit your requirements and budget. Greco Super Real had pretty big necks but they might be to expensive these days. Maybe a 80-81 Greco eg 700 would do it? But you might want to widen your search for some newer stuff as well. Bacchus Classic series and first generation Crews ls01/02 fits all your requirements except age.
    https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-u172154334
    https://www.rinkya.com/en/auction-o199246210

Imho amazing value for the money. Great big chunky necks and playability to die for. And you will have money left to upgrade the pickups to something really nice. Everything else is excellent and doesnt need upgrading.

You can buy the guitars though proxy services like Rinkya, fromjapan etc. I use Rinkya and Im happy to send you an invite link if you need it.

truckermde and nigelthebald like this.

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

moved to a new thread

4. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Thanks.

The info on bacchus and crews guitars is super helpful. Tusen takk!

5. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

I'm curious, though. Rinkya newb question. Say I buy a $500 guitar on Rinkya. What do I end up paying by the time it arrives on my doorstep in the US. Anybody know? I'm a little confused...

6. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

I'm not a 100% sure. I bought my Momose for about $1800.00, Rinkya charged me $200 Plus there was another $20.00 fee. I then elected to ship Rinkya/FedEx Prime that was another $165.00. I live in Illinois, the guitar went through customs in Oakland California.

You can look on Reverb as well, perhaps there's cool MIJ LP here in the states that can be had.

7. nigelthebald

nigelthebald Senior Member

The Bacchus in the Rinkya link from @free713 looks to be a real bargain. I'd buy it myself if I didn't already own one!

8. free713

free713 Senior Member

Price of guitar (in this case 500 usd) + around 50 usd in fees + intl shipping (Fedex to Denmark is about 170 usd for a Les Paul and 90 usd for a bolt on) + import duties (if you get "cought"). I usually get 2-6 guitars at a time :)

If you have an invite link you only pay about 10 usd in feed on your first purchase...

ii-V-I likes this.

9. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Well, I bought that bacchus. $550 with fees from Rinkya. For some reason I couldn't work out the invite discount. Not sure what I did wrong. I'll post here about what it costs me to get the guitar to my doorstep, in case anybody else is interested. Thanks again for the guidance.

10. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

Awesome, I doubt that you'll be disappointed. Probably cost you another $150-200 or so in shipping fees depending on how you have it shipped to you.

11. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

Go with the Rinkya Prime for shipping

12. nigelthebald

nigelthebald Senior Member

Great choice! If you don't love the Bacchus, I'll eat my hat.

*commissions hat made of cake, just to be safe*

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017

13. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Thanks. I trust that you guys know what you're talking about. And after doing a bit of research on the re-sale value of the Bacchus Classic Series guitars in the US, I'm confident that I won't lose money on it in the slim chance I don't like it.

14. free713

free713 Senior Member

You will be very pleased I'm sure. Weird you couldn't use your invite link. Usually works with no issues. You should just write to them on the page...they usually respond within a couple of hours and I'm quite positive they will give a refund or give you the discount on your next purchase. 40 usd isn't a huge amount...but still nice to save! In my experience Rinkya are willing to do almost everything to have satisfied customers :)

nigelthebald likes this.

15. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Cool ok thanks

16. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

Bacchus arrived today. I am not disappointed. Neck is big and fat and it feels great. Tuners seem good, as do bridge and tailpiece. Nice nut. Sustain is really good. Pickups aren't bad, honestly. I'll try some PAF specs pickups in it, though (i picked up some BYOs for $80 on forum member antigua's suggestion), and probably replace at least some of the electronics because there's a little bit of glitchiness--but it already feels like a really good guitar (surprisingly good, to be honest). I've never owned a les paul before, but I did play a 335 as my main guitar for years and I honestly think this might feel better. Thanks for the guidance free713. Tusen miljoner takk! (not sure I spelled that right)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018

17. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

Congrats!

18. GammyBird

GammyBird Senior Member

I swapped the bridge pups in all my Bacchus Classic guitars except the P90 Special.

ii-V-I likes this.

19. ii-V-I

ii-V-I Member

I noticed that I really like the stock neck pickup (if it even is stock - I haven't check yet). It's really clear and nice sounding, and not too mellow. The clean tone is super nice. The bridge pickup isn't my thing, I don't think. I don't curious about these BYOs I got. But the guitar is so nice that I'm a little tempted to try some kind of fancy, expensive pickup. But I'll try the BYOs first.

20. free713

free713 Senior Member

Good to hear mate. I was quite certain you would like it. Now lets see some pics :photos: