Which Gibson Les Paul: Traditional, Traditional Pro II or Signature T?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by beter pan, Jun 17, 2013.

1. beter pan

beter pan Member

I used to own an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top for five years of which I recently sold. It was a decent guitar but you know...
    Next month I am going to buy a Gibson Les Paul, the guitar I have always dreamed of. I saved money, waited long and dreamed a lot for this guitar. I love the warm and creamy and strong sound of Les Paul. However, I am a bit unsure which Gibson Les Paul to purchase. (I'm going to buy this guitar from Thomann, Germany.) I am an amateur player, primarily playing classic rock, blues and hard rock. I am planning to play my guitar through a Marshall DSL 15C amplifier. I am looking for an versatile and reliable guitar, that would last for ages. In line with my budget that is about €1900 ($2530), I got three opportunities:
    - Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013
    - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
    and
    - Gibson Les Paul Signature T
    All those three are pretty good guitars, being in the upper strata of Gibson guitars, just below the Customs.

Those below are the things that appeal me in those guitars:
    The Traditional 2013 is appealing because it is the ultimate solid-body, non weight relief Les Paul, that has been sought after for years. It is a "real" Les Paul.
    The Les Paul Traditional Pro II is appealing because it gives the ultimate oppotunity of split coil, with push-push knobs (of which seems like the most handy). Moreover it has the option of 10db boost.
    And the Les Paul Signature T is also another split coil guitar with push-pull knobs. (I am not sure but with the current "signature" series of Gibson, this seems the least appealing. I don't know...)

To be honest, I am betwixt between the Traditional and the Traditional Pro II. I am quite confused. Please help me, and please say something more than "play and choose it".

2. Shogun

Shogun Senior Member

Signature T is Ted McCarty tribute, the dude who designed the les paul.

I would say, if you like 60s necks get the signature T if you like 50s necks, get the traditional. If you don't know what you like or what the difference is, go play some. :)

2 people like this.
  3. QBob

QBob Banned

I think I know...a Gibson will make you a better a guitar player, we know.

4. beter pan

beter pan Member

Some of the Traditional Pro II's have 60's necks as well. I think the difference between the Signature T and the Traditional Pro II is merely the push-push (Trad Pro II) vs push-pull (Signature T) and the one 57 Classic/one Burstbucker 3 (Trad Pro II) vs double 57 Classic pickups, and the granadillo fretboard of Signature T. Both have traditional (cheese-hole) weight relief. Those are pretty close qualities I think. That's why I'm confused..:)

5. beter pan

beter pan Member

Nope. A Gibson does not make me a better guitar player but it sounds better.

And I condemn your sarcastic style, that is quite childish.

4 people like this.
  6. tzd

tzd Senior Member

This. And if you like satin neck, get the Traditional Pro. Getting the right neck is key.

7. PJV

PJV Banned

Traditional.

8. The Wedge

The Wedge Banned

Having a good guitar can inspire someone to play more and get better.

6 people like this.
  9. 02589

02589 Senior Member

The Trad Pro II is somewhat of a gimmick guitar. It was exclusive to Guitar Center in the USA. I'm not completely on board with Gibson's add on electronics.

The Signature T is a fine guitar. I've played a few. It seemed like a lot of bang for the buck. I didn't even know it had coil splits the first couple of times. I liked the 57 and the 57+. It rocked pretty good.

A Trad is a Trad. It's a great guitar with a very loyal following. If it's specs are to your liking, I don't think you could go wrong.

1 person likes this.
  10. Shogun

Shogun Senior Member

I think the trade pro 2 has grade A flame while the siganture t has grade AA flame. Also the trad pro 2 should have 57/57+ according to what I can find, maybe thomann got confused there as the old trad pro had a 57 and a BB 3.

I don't know about the trad pro II, but the original trad pro series was very nice. Got an Explorer Traditional Pro which I love :)

1 person likes this.
  11. audiotaxi

audiotaxi Member

I just traded a Trad GT for a Sig T, and am very pleased with it. As others have said, the key difference is the neck. The 60's neck certainly plays fast, and the granadillo board feels nice and slinky to me.
    The coil tap is also very handy, I found it saved me a couple of guitar changes at gig this weekend.

2 people like this.
  12. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

"Gimmick" guitar? All of this stuff (coil taps, boost) has been available since the '60's. It's about as new-fangled as an automatic transmission. It's there if you want it, ignore it if you don't (but check the battery for the boost occasionally, so it doesn't corrode things).

13. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

A Gibson guitar doesn't necessarily sound better, either.
    But you should get used to the sarcastic style. It plays well around here <G>.

As for condemning things...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Farquad

Farquad Double Platinum Supporter

get the 2013 Trad.

15. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

2013 trad

16. tallpaul

tallpaul Senior Member

2013 trad for classic blues,blues/rock.
    i may be a bit biased as i have one myself,but it's an amazing guitar!

1 person likes this.
  17. Comanche

Comanche Senior Member

Get the guitar you like the best within your budget. Don't rush your will know it when you play it.

18. GibsonMarshallGuy

GibsonMarshallGuy Senior Member

The 2013 Traditional Plus is my favorite. You can always mod it to add coil splitting functionality, which is what I did to my 08 Traditional Plus.

2 people like this.
  19. MKDThompson

MKDThompson Senior Member

Get your hands on as many as you can! Play 'em till they wanna kick you outa the shop! You'll find one that feels right eventually. Personally, though, I like the 2013 traditional.

Posted from Mylespaul.com App for Android

1 person likes this.
  20. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Senior Member

And the Traditional PROs have a satin neck and back and sides. Theneck is nice, but the back well get scratches to hell much easier. :)