Which are the better MIJ Les Pauls?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by barchiola, Aug 16, 2017.

1. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a test case to play with stereo outputs and thought a MIJ Les Paul would be fun. But which are the better brands of all of the older 70's vintage MIJ Les Pauls?

Ibanez? Tokai? Penco? Cort? Univox? Or some other one?

Thanks,
    Bart

2. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Cort are Korean made. Prior to that the name was Cortez and those with that name were understood to be made in Japan.

3. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Highend Tokais and Grecos are good but are a bit expensive. Go for higher model designation if you can.

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

How about a Penco LP Custom copy? mid 70's I think, wine red? guy is asking $200 for it

5. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

You need to do some googling. In short though, top notch Japanese copies are still made today. Companies to look at for a quality instrument include Tokai, Greco, Burny, Edwards, Navigator, Grandy, Bacchus, Momose.

A mid '70s Penco copy is likely to be worth $200. I.e., not very good. Many of the brands I've mentioned here match or rival Gibson historics, often for much lower prices. Up until the late '70s, most copies were of poor quality, and many had bolt-on necks and ply tops.

6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I'll echo this.

I had VERY good luck with Greco..my fave out of the bunch..just my personal opinion though.

flats750 likes this.
  7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I'll add that most guitars made in the Matsumoku shop are and Yamaha 'Lord' guitars are excellent. I have a Kasuga made SC and I love mine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Matty likes this.
  8. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

@northernguitarguy that's a beautiful guitar!

I was hoping to find good and cheap in the same guitar but if we're talking more than a couple of hundred I might just go for a Gibson LP Studio

I have an Ibanez Blazer from the early eighties and I love it. I also have a Westone bass which has always been good to me.

Are Ibanez Les Pauls any good? I see them without the "open book" head shape but if they're as good as my Blazer then I might go that route.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  9. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Thanks, man! It's built like a pancake-Norlin. I just had it refretted last year, it plays great. But I doubt I could get $500 for it. Don't matter, it was a gift and it's priceless to me.

Udonitron likes this.
  10. luis

luis Senior Member

Many 70s japanese guitars were thougth as entry level and priced according to. Some people whish those were good mainly to get a high profit when selling them, but they are not quality guitars unfortunatly .
    There were some brans as Fernandes in early 70s with expensive models but I dont like those just because they are heavy weigth. I choose 79/81 Tokai over other brands but Greco have really good examples as notices by Kris Ford and many others.

barchiola likes this.
  11. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

If you are looking for a cheap but decent LP style guitar I suggest a Agile AL guitar. They are made in South Korea and are a good value and play pretty good.

barchiola likes this.
  12. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

I would do some googling and use the search function of this forum.

This topic has been discussed at length and every possible permutation of the question has been dissected better than could be answered here now. Unfortunately a lot of the old "MIJ brains trust" that used to post here daily no longer visit this forum very often.

MauiCliff likes this.
  13. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

you might have hit the nail on the head. there's an Agile gold without the pickups/electronics which is fine because it's going to be a test bed anyway. Asking $75! I'm reading the listings for Agile guitars on Rondomusic.com and they actually seem pretty solid.
    Thanks!

scott 351 wins likes this.
  14. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

I've been reading through old posts, didn't realize how much there was on the subject here. Sorry! :)

15. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

No problem. Some of those old threads are huge and contain a treasure of information

MauiCliff and northernguitarguy like this.
  16. scott 351 wins

I picked up a Agile AL 2000 last December off EBay for $150.00 plus $50.00 for shipping. So you can find them at a steal if you keep looking for one.

17. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

though they don't even look like a 'Les Paul' :naughty:

northernguitarguy likes this.
  18. scott 351 wins