Where to find Binding??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by zoso304, Mar 15, 2008.

1. zoso304

zoso304 Senior Member

Hey Brothers! i am about to begin building a 59 Lester Replica for myself, i'm trying to find "aged" binding like on the R8's and R9's. I have checked Stu Mac and cannot seem to find anything "aged" and by aged i mean yellowed. Is anything like that available or is there a trick to get normal beige binding as yellowed as the reissues other than smokey bars and 40+ years of playing?

2. treddingjr

treddingjr V.I.P. Member

Congratulations!! It's a great journey. Take pictures every step of the way!!
    I aged my binding with amber applied after several coats of clear had been applied and sanded. I built up a good bit of clear after the amber so I didn't sand back through it. The thinner your lacquer, the quicker it dries and you can work with it BUT the opposite side is that it easy to sand through and burn through when buffing.

3. zoso304

zoso304 Senior Member

where did you get your binding from? stu mac?

4. treddingjr

treddingjr V.I.P. Member

Stew-Mac #4397

5. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

The binding itself does not age and yellow. It is the lacquer, it either ages naturally or someone tints it to give it that aged look.

6. zoso304

zoso304 Senior Member

thanks guys, could you elaborate on the process of clear and amber on the binding please? thanks in advance for all of the help guys.

7. treddingjr

treddingjr V.I.P. Member

I was taught by Dan and Joel Shinn of Lays' Guitar to think in threes when I took their build your own guitar class in 2006. Three coats - sand, etc. All of the coats were thin, roughly 50% lacquer and 50% thinner. I sanded with 320 taking off any high spots and dulling what I had just sprayed. After two rounds of that on top of the color, I did the amber and followed it with three more clears before sanding. I only ambered the binding of the body and the neck and the front of the headstock to yellow the logo.
    Lacquer in my experience is really thin and runs very easily. I tried to just put enough on that it was wet. If it's not heavy enough, it dries very white, like it crystallized or almost dust-like. Most of it gets sanded off as you smooth it which is why you have to build it up to withstand buffing.