Where Do You Play?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cygnus X-1, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

I was curious to know where/how people play? I know some are active in bands and gig, some (like myself) do not. When I was in high school and college I had a band and played shows but that dried up after I graduated and got a job/wife/kids. A few years back I wrote and recorded some tunes on Garage Band but now I’m learning riffs/songs/solos that I thought I wouldn’t be able to handle back when I was a teenager (with an emphasis on :slash:). But I sometimes wonder: do I need a $4500 guitar to do this/just play at home? (Granted I love the damn thing! Maybe I’m being too practical).

2. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

Welcome! If you have a $4500 guitar just for home use and you love it, then you need it. If you don't love it, it could turn into 2 or 3 more guitars.

3. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I play a lot of shows in the summer, the winter not so much. But I still feel justified in all of these :laugh2:

[​IMG]

If you want practical advice you're on the wrong forum!

4. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

Lol. Nice! BTW I didn't want to sound like an opulent jerk by mentioning the cost of my lefty (which = more expensive) guitar. I was trying to say that since I don't play in front of people maybe I don't need a really good guitar b/c it doesn't matter....?

I guess maybe I'd feel better if I could find a few people to jam with on occasion as I certainly don't have time for a regular band gig. But this is not so easy to do it would seem.

5. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

If you love the guitar and you play it, it's worth it. You shouldn't have to play a lesser instrument just because you don't play out.

Personally I can count the number of times I've gigged my Les Paul on one hand. If it's not a big stage with tons of space between the instruments I don't take out my expensive guitars. The Tele can handle a headstock drop with no problem.

6. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I think if I only played at home, then a CS guitar would be a lot more attractive. But because I play out, I feel it would be ridiculous for me to take a $4500 guitar into some of the bars and parties I play.

7. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I gigged in originals bands throughout the 90's, playing all around the DC/Baltimore region.

I took time away from any serious playing 1999-2008 or so.

Started back trying to relearn what I knew previously with a new emphasis on learning cover songs. Phil X Fretted Americana videos were majorly inspirational and I learned many riffs and snippets of songs from watching him, for better or for worse - I was learning them the way Phil played them, not from the records or anything resembling note for note. :eek:

I bought an SG Classic (my dream guitar in 2009) and spent a few hundred doing major upgrades to my 1997 Epiphone Sheraton.

I have since purchased 3 fairly high end guitars; a Custom Shop ES 330, a Custom Shop Firebird, and a Memphis USA standard ES 335.

Those guitars inspire me to play because I enjoy them so much. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with my guitars which cost hundreds, rather than thousands. I still like the working man guitars I own, as well. Just my guitar desire (GAS) is relatively satisfied.

I jam with family or friends a couple of times a year. I have played at parties and weddings and family functions (nothing too serious, just being well practiced enough to provide some entertainment and not embarrass myself).

Other than that, I am playing for my own pleasure and nothing else, at home, for no one other than myself.

8. Berzerk

Berzerk Member

I gigged with a sub $200 guitar, a Yamaha RGX110, for years. You don't need an expensive guitar to gig and you don't need a cheap guitar to play only at home ;)

9. Cygnus X-1

Cygnus X-1 Senior Member

Interesting takes, thanks for the responses. When I was in my band I was playing my Japanese Strat. Got a few bucks when I graduated and got my Epiphone LP. A few years back I took the plunge and got my dream guitar: a real Les Paul.

10. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

My main gigging guitar in the 90's was a $200 SG Special. Still have it, still a tone machine, which is why it was always #1.

11. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

Funny thing...for most of the years when I was playing I only had the one guitar, a 1972 Gibson SG.

It wasn't until I hung it up and became a home player that I started collecting them (well, I only have 12 so it's not much of a collection).

12. John Vasco

John Vasco I'm with the band V.I.P. Member

A quick potted history.
    Started gigging in January 1969.
    First gigging Gibson was an SG Standard (October 1970)
    First gigging Les Paul was a '69, in 1973.
    Have gigged only Les Pauls since.
    Presently in a blues band that has been going nearly 5 years now.

I have no qualms about gigging my Gibsons, whatever the venue.

This is the present brood:
    [​IMG]
    From left: 1976 Deluxe; 1991 Custom; 2014 Custom Shop '61 VOS SG/Les Paul Standard; 2009 Custom Shop '57 VOS Junior & 2009 '08 Standard.

Some gig shots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yes, I'm left-handed! :D :dude:

13. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

YES !!

When I was a teen, I played a couple of times on stage and I have been always a guy with only one guitar... I started recently (just last year) buying more guitars and I exclusively play at home !

14. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I used to play gigs as often as I could (when I was younger). Loved every minute of it. I even played in political rallies for parties that I had no affiliation with. Any opportunity to play was taken. Now, with a family and working 70 hours a week, it's a bit different. I'd like to start gigging again at some point, truth be known.

15. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

Where do I play ? usually behind my guitar...

Doesn't matter what's in front of me as long as I enjoy it and feel comfortable with it.
    Gigging, I feel comfortable with cheaper guitars as I don't care as much if they get damaged... or stolen, which is bound to happen one way or the other.

16. herbalist

herbalist Senior Member

The only places I currently play are at home, or the homes of a couple friends. A guitar player and a bass guitar player. I'd love to play a guitar like yours in any of the places. :welcome: