When You've Thought It Couldn't Get Worse...

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by paruwi, Feb 15, 2018.

1. darth550

darth550 Senior Member

Did wonders for Elizabeth Berkley's career too! :D

2. bpet2015

bpet2015 Junior Member

A difficult part of watching what appears to be the mindless abandoning of its “core” customers is that for many of us, we’ve worked a long time to purchase our Gibson guitars. I don’t only mean saving money. I mean years of work, practice, sacrificing other little things to save up, cutting our teeth on beginner and starter instruments, etc. There was a lot of work, learning, sweat and duct tape in the years up to our purchase. Whatever Gibson we chose, it was something we worked for. Very few start with a $5000 guitar, but a lot of us aspire to one day have an instrument we feel reflects how much we love our hobby. Gibson, your customers are hardworking, driven and focused. How they don’t understand that is beyond me.

Take Apple for example. They make a few models of products, they make them well, and they work well and hold their value.

mudface likes this.
  3. StingyCH

StingyCH The Bearded guy from Heidi land..

+1 for all the rest, and I don't want to go very much off topic, but about this...I use Apple products since early 2000..and the new products have nothing "magic", "revolutionary" or whatever they like to call them now..had to bring my last MBP with Touch Bar two times for various keyboard failures, sold..got a new iMac 5K 27" and it had problem with the USB ports...the real problem, back to Gibson, is resting on their laurels and producing these (really ugly, for me) variants and at those prices. Apple can sell a turd and people will buy it, and they have so much cash that nothing can bring them down for many years..Gibson not.

Gem23 likes this.
  4. The Notorious DJ

The Notorious DJ Member

When old corporations try to stay 'hip' with the new generations

[​IMG]

Thumpalumpacus and Gem23 like this.
  5. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

IMO - These things are just intended to be art or decorations.
    Hung on the wall or on a stand in the corner.

Their target market will be doctors, lawyers, and such whom have the disposable ca$h and vast wall space. I doubt that, of the guitars that actually sell, few will ever be played after the initial excitement of the acquisition wares off.

But why . . . . WHY . . . . would you even want one of these, instead of . . . . ANY of the other LP choices ??

I'm about as removed from the rich/elite world as they are from mine . . . so who knows.

endial and MooCheng like this.
  6. mudface

mudface Senior Member

IMG_0611.JPG
    Fender did this back in 1969 and they do special runs on these from time to time, like this 2008. Not for everyone but it still sells.

Gem23, Alderbeck and ehb like this.
  7. endial

endial Senior Member

Not at ALL a Strat guy, but I'd rock that.

Gem23 and mudface like this.
  8. fretout

fretout Senior Member

Well, I won't trouble the congregation with my views on the the Dukes of Hazard's design team's choices, but I'd rock it.

Oldskoolrob likes this.
  9. Oldskoolrob

Oldskoolrob Senior Member

These days it'd just be an orange guitar with 01 lol

fretout likes this.
  10. fretout

fretout Senior Member

That to me screams country singer/songwriter. Like Brad Paisley would rock it. That has a little bit of artistry to it. The "Van Customs"...not so much.

When there are other options to get a LPC at a more competitive price, why even think about these? I don't think there's enough of a "Van Culture" out there to warrant this series, unless you're the owner of a auto detailing shop named Count's Customs.

mudface likes this.
  11. fretout

fretout Senior Member

The '01' is too offensive, so it will feature vinyl decals to be applied by the owner.

Oldskoolrob likes this.
  12. Alderbeck

Alderbeck Member

I love them mine is a blue floral 69 reissue telecaster
    20170927_220225.jpg

13. Gem23

Gem23 Senior Member

That has a bit more artistic taste really tho.. IMO

endial and mudface like this.
  14. mudface

mudface Senior Member

That is nice, blue florals are really cool too.

Alderbeck likes this.
  15. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Always wanted a paisley Skrat and a flower Tele since I first saw em decades back...

endial and mudface like this.
  16. Raidersfan

Raidersfan Senior Member

80AA33AC-B4DD-436B-AD0D-32EF47EAC9B9.jpeg AF4A6811-1757-45C4-A557-CC7B4EC6E7E5.jpeg E68910EA-579F-424C-BD6C-CA92BCAA4196.jpeg View attachment 294816
    Good point. Obviously these limited edition, or special LP’s aren’t targeted for everyone, and that’s ok. It only matters for the person buying it. I remember when I bought my blue swirl Anniversary Flood LP, that there were quite a few people knocking it....bowling ball finish, etc., but I didn’t care because I liked it, and still do.

17. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Interesting finish... Never seen one up close in person... I think it's cool looking.
    As far as liking it, your vote is the only one that matters when it's your guitar...

I like the Fender flowers and paisleys... Don't much care what others think about it...

Some finishes are just insane, though.

Hell, I'd like to one day pick up a Zoot Lester cheap, I'd hang it on the wall in my little shop... With a Par light on it... Just to give me a good laugh every day...

Raidersfan and mudface like this.
  18. Raidersfan

Raidersfan Senior Member

Yeah, those Zoot Suit Gibson’s are a terrific example of guitars that certainly aren’t made for the general population.

ehb likes this.
  19. Alderbeck

Alderbeck Member

I am a jimmy page fan but I also love RL Burnside and I know Jimmy played a tele live in the early days but also kept playing them in the studio. As for RL Burnside just have yourself an eargasm to this rendition of "Jumper on the line" where Dave Stewart (Eurythmics) hears him play this nice tele.

I was actually after a blonde but played 4 teles in the shop and the blue floral one (pictured a few posts ago) left the others for dead ha ha funny thing that you can pick up 10 identical guitars and maybe 2/3 will appeal to you.

Gem23, endial and mudface like this.
  20. Bend'n'Slide

Bend'n'Slide Senior Member

Dayumm...!!

That’s NICE...!! :applause:

I agree and totally understand why it’s not something that everyone would like — but I love it!! :cheers:

Not every LP has to be a Cherry Burst / Honey Burst / Lemon Burst in the same way that not every Strat has to be two-tone Burst or Fiesta Red, nor every Tele a blackguard Butterscotch Blond.

As I said earlier, the “Vans” do have the appeal of being a bit novel and a bit different, but pitching that at “Custom” levels of money seems like a big mistake, especially at the moment!

On a broader aesthetic note, my personal view is that the colour blocks / stripes are very limited in their appeal. The straight lines don’t seem to fit well with the very curved shape of an LP body (strangely, for me, it would work better on the slab front of a Tele or even an LP Junior — if they could bring themselves to do it at a at a sensible price!).

The swirl sort of suits the curves of the LP and, while I’m not familiar with this particular production run, I can see how the same effect would work well in burgundy / dark green / smoke grey / etc. to give a a more modern take on a Lester than a Burst.