When did the Maestro vibrato first appear on SGs?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by cmh6122, Feb 25, 2011.

1. cmh6122

cmh6122 Senior Member

When I was 16 (summer of '72) I was able to buy a well used SG. It had had the wangbar portion of the Maestro removed and a stoptail installed. The neck joint was identical to 61 sg/les pauls that I saw at the time, and the guys at the music store I traded with thought they changed that neck joint in 63 or 64. Of all the treasures that have passed through my hands, selling this guitar is my greatest regret.
    I kind of wanted a Les Paul, and since in my teenage mind this sg was identical to the sgs thus titled, I bought a truss-rod cover that had Les Paul engraved on it. I still have the original trc in the accesory bin of my Les Paul case.
    Is this something that would make a difference to a collector/restorer?

2. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

I assuming you're talking about the Vibrola? Its only called a Maestro on the Reissues.
    THIS is a Meastro Vibrola[​IMG]

3. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

The short vibrola first showed up in '61, with the ebony block. The long in '63.

4. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

I have this exact same Vibrola on a very early '61 LP Jr. So I'd have to think this type was available from the beginning of the SG line. (it spends a lot of time with it's arm pushed aside like Santana's)

5. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

I assume he's NOT talking about that one. I believe the Maestro first showed up in the very late '50's. I have seen a few (including my '59) DC Juniors with it, I cant say for sure if they were factory though.

6. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

I know my '61 had it on the guitar when it was first sold; my father-in-law bought it new with the Maestro on it. I have been told by a crusty old luthier that it is almost certainly factory.

You may be right. On the Pictured SG, there's no need to install a stoptail. You just use the existing bridge as a wraptail, take off the bar and leave it be. If a stoptail was installed, it was possibly the sideways type that was removed.

7. cmh6122

cmh6122 Senior Member

Sorry, I thought the ones with the Lyre engraved on them were Maestros.

8. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

I've always wondered why Carlos left it on. He also played a mid '50's Special with a Maestro that I'm 99.9% sure didnt come stock with it. Did he prefer them? Coincidence?

[​IMG]

The story I've heard was that they didnt come stock on Gibsons, only Epiphones. BUT, they were sold separately and most likely installed by dealers. I dont know, just what I've heard.

9. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

Those started in '63:thumb:

10. PapaSquash

PapaSquash Senior Member

I've heard that as well, which I why I always say I know my guitar left the store with the Maestro but I'm not really sure if Gibson put it there.

The Old Luthier in question knows his stuff though, and says that it's likely to be factory. He's old enough to have been around back then and knows his Gibsons.

I have to agree with you on that Special though.

11. goodwater

goodwater Senior Member

I've got a '60 LP Jr. with a Maestro and have frequently wondered if it was original or aftermarket. By "frequently", I mean every hour of every day.

12. harpmaster

harpmaster Senior Member

I had a 1967 SG Standard in 1970 with a original Maestro long tail Vibrola on it and it was 100% original

13. 27sauce

27sauce Senior Member

These are two different things, but if you mean a long Vibrola they all came like that in '67.