what's wrong with this wiring?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Streetwalker, Aug 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Streetwalker

Streetwalker Junior Member

Hi all,
    I'm a rewiring newbie, but I wanted to put new pickups, pots, switch - everything - in a cheap LP copy of mine.

After a couple of tries and getting it wrong, I found this diagram that actually works for me (I don't have enough experience to follow any of those others), but have run into a condition that both pickups are always on, no matter what position the selector switch is in.

So I remove the switch, and a my multimeter shows me a continuity between the wires coming from the switch to the volume pots (the bottom lug on each volume pot) - between the two volume pots, even though the switch has been removed - and also between the pickup inputs (the center lug on each volume pot.) on each volume pot.

So I figure the problem can't be the switch. I don't see anything wrong with my wiring - no wires touching anywhere. The posts seem to work properly, as if independent volume control in the middle switch position, but it's like the switch doesn't exist.

Therefore I conclude it has to be in the diagram I used.

Can anyone see anything in the diagram that would result in both pickups being on all the time?

Thanks for any help in advance!

(you should be able to zoom in on the image)
    lp-wiring-diagram-current.png

2. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Post good, clear picture/s of your wiring-control cavity.

3. Streetwalker

Streetwalker Junior Member

I think the problem is with the diagram I followed. I want to know if the diagram is correct.

4. dreams

dreams Member

last one I wired the ground leg on the switch was opposite side of what was shown on the diagram , I t will be obvious if you look at the switch

5. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Yeah -- this. Diagram looks okay to me.