What's up with this Telecaster plan?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by strömsborg, Jan 3, 2018.

1. strömsborg

strömsborg Senior Member

Am I an idiot or is the below Tele plan incorrect?
    I got it off the internet, had it printed and during the weekend I made some templates. I have an -82 JV Squier Telecaster, a fairly accurate 1952 replica, and for fun I laid my freshly made neck template on top of the Squier neck, and I thought what the f*** is this? The template was half an inch too short.

I double and triple checked every measurement to rule out that the plan had been printed at the wrong scale. The only thing I found is that while the total scale length in the plan is correct the 12th fret is way off. Is the plan worthless or is there something i'm missing? I'm a noob after all.

[​IMG]

2. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers Member

String holes are further to the back ;) About half an inch behind the saddles.

[​IMG]

PierM and dickjonesify like this.

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Well, 2 X 316mm = 632mm = 24.88 inches, so you tell me? I would try taking that actual "nut to 12th fret" measurement on both the Squier neck and the template, just for craps and giggles.
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

4. slug_maine

slug_maine Senior Member

Isn't that the 13th fret?

w666 likes this.

5. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Senior Member

It’s the 12th

TDPRI has an excellent Tele plan listed. I’ll link it in a bit...

slug_maine likes this.

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Maybe you missed some fine print on the plan, or links to it that list it as a "conversion neck" (24 3/4 inches) plan? Being sent from your phone, I can't expand/zoom it enough to read the details!
    Just Swayin'
    Gene

7. PierM

PierM Black & Gold Premium Member

The saddles are not there where you are measuring. They are before the 6 holes for the strings.

8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

He stated that the neck template alone was 1/2" - ish shorter than his standard sized neck, not sounding like he measured to the bridge?

I'll Be Eagerly Following This One,
    Gene

9. PierM

There is for sure something wrong as nut to 12th fret should be 12,75"/324mm, so if he get that 316mm something is wrong in the scale. Then yeah, the second half should be between 12 and saddles@324mm, which is indeed before the 6 holes.

10. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

This is something that should "NOT" be scaled from a drawing. When building you should know what your / the scale length is and how it is measured. Frankly any dimension that is important is placed with a dimension line and noted. That way if the print is not scaled properly or the paper shrinks or there is a mistake it doesn't screw up the object being built.

I wouldn't be too upset with a drawing you downloaded for free from the internet. :facepalm:

I have purchased drawings that were of that quality and is one of the reasons I draw and work out all my builds in CAD prior to building. For most of the dimensions on a guitar it's not a big deal to be out 1/4" here or there. The ones that are important you should work out in advance. Scale length, nut width, width of string spacing at the bridge and nut, as well as height of bridge, neck and/ or neck angle. You may want to add neck profile / depth at truss rod access and a couple places down the neck. The rest isn't that important.

Regards Peter.

dickjonesify likes this.

11. strömsborg

strömsborg Senior Member

That would give a ca 25.25 scale length, 316 mm from the nut to the 12th and 324 from nut to bridge. Still wrong.
    My own Telecaster, looking exactly like the one in your image and with the brass barrels in the same places, measures 324 mm both ways.
    The body in the plan seems ok but the neck template I made is 11 mm too short at the 21st fret.

12. strömsborg

strömsborg Senior Member

I looked but it says nothing of the sort.

13. strömsborg

strömsborg Senior Member

My girlfriend knows this stuff, she works at a company that makes custom wallpapers and she handled the whole printing affair. The Junior I'm building in another thread went through the same procedure and everything worked out fine.
    Also the body part of the tele plan seems correct, I made quick check before cutting up the print and making MDF templates. I'm not really upset that the neck part of the plan was incorrect, I just think it's strange that someone would put that much effort into it and not getting such fundamentals right. That's why I asked you guys, I couldn't believe it.
    Anyway, it sure was a waste of time making that neck template.

14. dickjonesify

I would trust this Tele plan with my life

That said, I would do bridge placement after checking with a neck in the neck pocket.

15. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Thats the second time I saw this plan linked recently, but the links in that forum post are dead

16. strömsborg

strömsborg Senior Member

If I join my proper tele neck (324 mm nut to 12th) to the body template and measures to the right place at the bridge it works out, 324+324=648. The body template is also very close to the old Squier, good enough for me.
    I guess I'll do a new template from the old one, no reason to start all over. The width at the nut and at the 12th fret is good, the head shape is ok and the sides are straight. I'll do it a little longer and just ignore the fret lines.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

17. PierM

18. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

That's a very old thread over at TDPRI and if you wat the templates you need to go to a more recent page.
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

19. dickjonesify

Sorry! You’re correct.

I have it here.

20. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

IMO everyone should work out their own dimensions for the important stuff. Blindly following a drawing from the internet and using it to cut expensive wood is not a good idea. If you learn what the critical dimensions are it will serve you very well down the road.

dickjonesify - he's having trouble with the neck, I believe, and that is just the body. I'll check and see if I have a drawing later to post.

Regards PEter.

WezV and dickjonesify like this.