What's the rarest guitar in your collection?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by dead end horror, Aug 21, 2011.

1. shandi777

shandi777 Junior Member

My body glove Steinberger owned by Paul Stanley........love it.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Thrill

Thrill Senior Member

Hey man, just a shot in the dark, but do you happen to like Kiss? You know the band?lol

Just playin bud, damn nice looking collection you have there.

2 people like this.
  3. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Member

the rarest guitar that I have is a 2001 Gretsch G6114 "New" Jet. they were only made for 2 years. when Fender took over production, the New Jet was dropped. so, the New Jet was only made in 2001 and 2003.

Attached Files:

4. petersenb9

petersenb9 Senior Member

'74 sg

1 person likes this.
  5. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I had a '74 I loved. Pics please!

6. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

Well, guess it's a toss up.

There is this one, that was touched by two masters,
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m16GnIqHMA0&app=desktop"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m16GnIqHMA0&app=desktop[/ame]

It was made side by side and in the same batch as this guy
    (1 serial number apart) :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-duj8uNLdjs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-duj8uNLdjs[/ame]

And my 'Island guitar'. Its one of the rarest replicas of one of the rarest guitars made by one of the best builders of all time (IMHO).
    My Gil Yaron 1950 dbl black Esquire. 'Leo Fenders Infamous Spanish NAMM show Guitar'. This was the first of two made and Gil Yaron's peronal favorite of all his builds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This guitar was made of a special Yellow Pine naturally dried in the Israeli desert. Just like the original 'prototype fender' It has no truss rod and weighs around 4 lbs! It vibrates like a tuning fork and unplugged has an acoustic 'ping' sound, just like a good ole, vintage Martin should. :D
    This is my first tele and as i read they are unforgiving guitars, i tell ya, I can't seem to play a bad note on this thing, (it fits PERFECTLY) I never want to put it down, EVER!
    Plug into this little guy
    [​IMG]
    and its taken you home, in a 'minor pentatonic' straight down Route 61. :cool:

MooCheng likes this.
  7. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

Rare, is a strange term. Is it the two I built from parts, with weird little things only they have? or is it some obscure production guitar? Let's go with the latter....

My 79 or so Manoman Paul clone. Chushin Gakki made, it's the only one I have ever seen anywhere. Wired with series/parallel and phase, she'll do the Paul and Gretsch thing with ease, and will take you back to the 70's when guitars were meant to be heavy!

My 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T. number 11 out of maybe 100, before they redesigned the thing to have a useless 29 frets. Fitted with a set of Ibanez V7/V8, Which I think are the best kept secret in pickups, and a coil tap, from Jazz to country, shred and Jurassic rock, she's up for it. First brand new guitar I ever got.

94 Ibanez Talman-630. Ok, not exactly rare, but far from common. The neck feels exactly like my friends Custom Shop 62 re-issue strat, the pickups, aren't as chimey or bright as you would think. it's a strat, for people who don't want to sound quite like a strat.

Attached Files:

warmachine likes this.
  8. markbastable

markbastable Strange kind of blues-coloured moon Premium Member

Here's another of mine which I think is, if not rare, certainly not an everyday kinda thing... I haven't seen many of them about.

[​IMG]

An 80s Maison SAS 620. It does jazz and blues very well. Even better if it's not me playing it.

9. Big Daddy B

Big Daddy B Senior Member

A one off Jackson Relic Rhoads built by Mike Shannon for the 2004 NAMM show. It is based on a 1982 RR1T with the old school brass bridge and logo.
    [​IMG]

I also have some rare Kirk Hammett guitars...

2007 ESP KH-20: #26 of 40 made
    [​IMG]

2009 ESP KH-2 Ouija White: #7 of 50 made (in white)....and for a ying yang effect...
    2009 ESP KH-2 Ouija Black: #44 of 50 made (in black)
    [​IMG]

2011 ESP KH-2 SE: one of 100 made (sorry this is the best pic I have at the moment and the guitar is in the shop)
    [​IMG]

and last, but definitely not least, the 1988 Tom Anderson Pro Am Kirk used in the studio and as his backstage warmup guitar on the Damaged Justice Tour in 1989:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Thrill

Thrill Senior Member

The teenager me is in some parallel universe drooling and massively jealous! Kirk was my idol back in the day and there was nothing I wanted more than the KH-2 Quija. If you ever sell the black one do let me know first ;)

And that Tom Anderson, is that Kirks actual guitar or a reliced repro?

11. Big Daddy B

It's the real deal actual guitar. All the bowling balls have a unique paint pattern as far as the light and dark patches. Here are some more pics of it. It can also be seen on the intro to the Seattle video from the Binge & Purge boxed set when he walks to the stage. From 4:16-5:30 on this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-jyQu6LNZY

And sorry no immediate plans to sell the Ouija. It just got here last Saturday from Tokyo. If you are on the ESP board, we have a whole thread dedicated to helping people find Ouijas!

Here's the pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Thrill

Thrill Senior Member

I used to frequent the ESP boards years ago. I think the last time I was on there was right after the KH-20 was released as the board was going nuts bout them lol.

I recognized that Anderson guitar as soon as I saw it, Ive probably seen the Binge and Purge videos 20 times through the years (actually still have my old box set in VHS). Just didnt think it was THE guitar. Thats awesomely cool to have THE guitar Kirk had and used on stage and on video.

That Quija tho, did the repros that were released in the mid/late 00s have mirrored or pearl inlays? I seem to remember seeing some that had mirrors. I havent got the cash for one now (though if one came up Id try to shuffle some stuff around), and I seem to remember them going for $5-10k back in the day (though I think those were the originals). Given the price Ive been thinking about just building my own from scratch.

13. Big Daddy B

OK so the Anderson may not be exactly the one you are thinking of. He had 2 bowling ball Pro Ams (and 1-2 Grand Ams, I have a picture of a red lacewood one and Tom told me he supposedly had a honeyburst one as well but I have never seen it). For the Justice tour he used the black & white one on stage extensively. This is a black and gold one. I am not sure if he ever used it live or not. I only have the photos and video of studio and backstage use.

As for the Ouijas, the 2009 reissues have mirrored inlays and ebony fingerboards. That's the big departure from the original ones in the 90's. They are really nice. They seem to go in the $5-$7K range nowadays. I paid $7200 in L.A. for my white one last year and $6250 for the black one from Japan this year. A guy I know from the ESP boards recently got a black one from the UK for $5,200 and a white one recently sold on eBay a few weeks back for $6,100 in Florida. Those are the only ones I have seen recently, they don't pop up very often.

I got lucky on my KH-20 back in June. Even though it was released back in 2007, I found one that was sitting new in storage at BMusic in Australia. I actually wasn't looking for one, I was looking for a black Ouija when I stumbled upon it so said what the hell. I am real glad I got it. Even though the Ouija is my all time favorite guitar, I actually like playing the 20 more. It sounds and feels better to me.

If you are really interested in Kirk's guitars. Check out this link. I was over at the SFO airport a few weeks back and took a bunch of pictures of his monster guitars he has on display there: http://www.espguitars.com/forums/1963222/posts/2078258-kirk-hammett-s-classic-monsters-at-sfo-airport

1 person likes this.
  14. Thrill

Thrill Senior Member

Thanks for the info and the cool pics. The shop near me has one of the LTD string thru single pickup guitars with the cool graphic on top (think it was either the Dracula or Zombie one). Really cool looking and played nice.

Always was a fan of the Karloff Mummy guitar Kirk had, the original one with the Eye of Horus inlays. Always wished theyd do a run of those, but if I recall right, Kirk owns the copyright to the picture and never released it to them to use.

15. wildstage98

wildstage98 Senior Member

hey Big Daddy, awesome to see the Anderson guitar on here. how does someone come across that? very, very cool.

16. sollophonic

sollophonic Senior Member

Not seen many of these Westone Clipper 6 single pickup guitars.

[​IMG]

Most of the others I have seen have had more pickups , locking trems and even pointy headstocks.

Mine is one of the last of the Matsumoku Westones, I think.

And maybe there are loads of the one pickup ones out there, but I've not seen many at all.

A really nice player but the pickup in it was terrible. Not even a humbucker, it was two single coils next to each other, with the switches turning each one on or off.

I swapped it out for a hummer sized P90, but have kept the original just in case.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

That is so stupid cool!! BIG Uncle Matt fan here, and I've never seen that model before. NICE find.

18. Big Daddy B

Believe it or not, Ebay! Where in STL are you. I lived there from 99-05. First St. Peters, then O'Fallon, finally Ballwin.

19. JoePass

JoePass Senior Member

'99 Samick Korea built Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II in Cherryburst. Only made this color for a couple of years then discontinued.

20. Webtroll

Webtroll Senior Member

[​IMG]

I looked up the year once, but I don't remember it. Circa WWII easily.

Who and Belvedere like this.