what's the going price for a vintage Gibson SGJ?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by cristi tanasescu, Aug 24, 2014.

1. cristi tanasescu

cristi tanasescu Senior Member

2. cristi tanasescu

lol this is incredible, 1966 gibson sg junior body, no finish, no nothing, looks bad, but an easy restoration project for a skilled luthier at 350 $ !!!

Insane!! I want to get it!!!

3. cristi tanasescu

another sg junior (1967 and trem) at 2700$...

thought they were more expensive, lol.

4. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

They are surprisingly great guitars. Price depends, I've purchased several '61-'63 specials for $1.8k to $6k in various conditions. My Jr was insanely expensive because it's "the best one" according to a vintage buddy of mine. If you are still in the market you might be able to get this one for $2,500/$2,750. I am sure you know this but the most collectable ones are from '61 to '64. Also the neck size is all over the place. You might want to check with the seller about it.

https://reverb.com/item/300370-1964-gibson-sg-junior-cherry

So are you going to buy one??

2 people like this.
  5. cristi tanasescu

well, not right now, maybe in a coupla years..thanks for the info!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. OBX351

OBX351 Senior Member

Do it sooner than later if you can becuase prices are going up.

1 person likes this.
  7. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

My '63 hung on the wall at a local shop for over a year priced at $2500. I offered $2000 cash and ended up walking out with it.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  8. cristi tanasescu

looks incredible Danelectro..

just wondering, with the prices of today, why get a new standard instead of a vintage junior for the same price lol :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Lp436

Lp436 Senior Member

I kind of have the same question as the op (a few months later). I have been looking at something like this:
    https://reverb.com/item/342471-gibson-sg-junior-jr-great-player-light-clean-1965

I don't know much about the value on these, but I have considered selling or trading to get one. I love jr.'s and an sg with a chunky neck would be great.

Is mid to low 2k's a right place to look for one of these? It seems like a nice way to get a good player and get into vintage Gibsons without spending too much money.

1 person likes this.
  10. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

I'm to the point that I'm really starting to hate being "that guy" that says "that isn't a 196X it's blah blah whatever". But in this case since you don't own it but may be a potential buyer I have to tell you it's NOT a 65.

The key indicator is that it has the long neck joint. With this set of features including the small pickguard, large control route, narrow nut width, 14 degree headstock angle, chrome hardware and LONG neck joint it places the guitar between mid/late 66 and mid/67. Late 65 and very early 66 would have all of those features but with the SHORT neck joint.

Just for the technicality I will also mention that the small pick guard going into 67 is only on JR's. I've never seen a 67 standard, special or custom with a small guard. There is debate about when the small guard ended and the large guard started on the other models (which I do not want to get into that TIRED debate LOL). And also while this JR could be as late as early 67 as mentioned above one of the key indicators there would be the tuners which went to an open back in 67. This guitar has changed tuners although the impression from the original tuners should still be visible on the back of the headstock and would be a different shape for the open back. Serial number and pot codes would be helpful to get more specific.

3 people like this.
  11. Lp436

Lp436 Senior Member

Wow, great info. Exactly why I come here. Thanks.

12. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

No problem. Glad to help. If you like the guitar the price is not bad, but you if your seriously considering it you should know what it is and what it isn't.

13. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. Dig that skinny nut too..that's definitely a '67 neck joint/heel...wonder if it's a 00XXXX series...
    Actually kind of a rare bird, this one..not many made with the elongated heel/small guard combo...