What's the general opinion of the Probucker pickups?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Surecatch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Surecatch

Surecatch Senior Member

These are the pickups in my new Plus Top Pro, correct? How they compare with Burstbuckers and Classic 57's? Are the good enough to where you'd keep them even if you had planned to upgrade everything else, as many do?

Now I have no reference point to the questions as I've never plats with Burstbuckers or 57's. As to the Probuckers like in my LP, I like how they perform. I notice that articulation seems to be better than some of the stock pups they'd been using on many models before. The B and low E string shine through more prominently and hold their own instead of sort of getting lost.

Again though, I don't know how they compare to Gibson/Epiphone's "better" pickups.

2. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

If you like them, keep them.

6 people like this.
  3. Surecatch

Surecatch Senior Member

Very well may, but I'd like to consider all factors befor ultimately making the decision. I mean, yeah I like them...but if there is something out there I've never tried that is just clearly better...

4. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

How do they sound to your ears through your amp ?

what amp do you use ?

Don't mod it if it aint broken :naughty:

3 people like this.
  5. Surecatch

Surecatch Senior Member

They sound quite good and are probably the last thing I would mod, if at all...just wondering what the general opinion of them is. I play through a VOX valvetronix 15W practice amp. I also have a Fender Frontman 2X12 that I haven't played the new LP through, (it's on loan to a friend using it in his band).

6. Colquhoun

Colquhoun Senior Member

Here's a video I recently spotted. Granted, I have no idea what gear he's amplifying through....and the volumes of the different guitars varies, but this might help you compare.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iYYQ3xBuC4]Epiphone shootout Alnico Classic vs. Probucker vs. Gibson Burstbucker 3 - YouTube[/ame]

7. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

Let me start off by saying I just bought a PTP yesterday and my first impression is that the guitar is awesome all the way around. Very impressive, especially for the price.

I find that the Probuckers are very crisp and articulate. I haven't played the Burstbuckers or the 57s so I can't give an assessment. They (the Probuckers) kind of remind me of a Gibson 500/498 combo, possibly a little brighter.

The thing about any pickup, amp, combo of the two or whatever is strictly player subjective. What sounds good to you may not sound good to me and visa versa. Playing style and music preference are also key to a good sound or what one would determine to be a good pickup or not.

On a personal note I have every intention of replacing mine with a SD Slash set wiring harness and all. The Pros to include the current wiring are going in an older Epi LP with truly shitty stock pickups. The Pros are very good in my opinion. I just have a different sound in mind for the new guitar.

Unless you have a particular sound in mind and you're not hitting the mark with your current rig, I'd leave well enough alone for the time being.

8. rlh5599

rlh5599 Senior Member

I like the probuckers in my Traditional Pro, they seem nice and clear, not muddy at all, I like the fact that they are more balanced, and I like the coil split feature.
    I have a Standard that had the Classic 57 and 57+, and I liked those, too, But I changed those out to a set of Elitist pups, which are made in the US, and they might be a touch clearer, but it's hard for me to tell.
    I then replaced the odd (stock?) sam sung pups in my 96 Riviera with the Classics, and I still like 'em, and they work great in the 335 type body.

I think we've been trained to NOT like any stock pups in the epiphones, (or squiers, or any of the imported guitars for that matter) because it's cooler just to change 'em out.

Bottom line is, if you like the way they sound, play 'em, if you don't, change 'em. Tone is so subjective, if you convince yourself it's not there, it will be a constant search for something that might not exist.

just my $.02....:naughty:

9. qpHalcy0n

qpHalcy0n Senior Member

The Probuckers are actually pretty durn good all things considered. They have great articulation and obviously have the Alnico magnet in them. They're certainly not sterile like the regular ol' Epi pickups.

However, if you want to compare them to 57's or Burstbuckers, then you're really comparing apples and oranges. The Probuckers are pretty hot. Definitely closer to the modern end of the spectrum.

10. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

There's always something else out there. When I got my Vintage G-400 with a set of Seymour Duncan pups, pearly gates in the neck and a JB in the bridge, I thought I was in heaven and it couldn't get better.

Then I got my Elitist with a set of Seth Lovers in her. :wow: Stunning pups! Great tone!

Are they better than the other SDs? NO, they're just different!

No matter what you have, if you chase the tone dragon you will never catch it because there's always another set of pups out there that will sound different. Will they sound better? Well, that's a very subjective thing and what is better for one person, or one type of music, may be crap for someone else or another type of music.

The only way to figure out what you like is to try them. Only your opinion matters, no one else's. And if you're anything like me, or like most of us here - I feel safe in saying, one set of pups in one guitar will never be enough. Variety is not only the spice of life, it is a big part of the magic of guitars.

But you have to start somewhere and you have to figure out what you want and the best way to do that is to play what you have until it doesn't take you where you want to go.

7 people like this.
  11. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

damn,.....now I want to try some Seth Lovers.

:laugh2:

5 people like this.
  12. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Spoken like a true toneslut! Welcome to the beginning of your tonequest. As soon as I dial in a guitar/pickup set/caps, sure enough, there is something else that catches my ears and out comes the soldering iron again.

Get a paypal account, learn to solder, and watch the classifieds here for good deals on pick ups. Lotsa folks are addicted to swapping them out.

Yes Mal, if you haven't already tried the Seth Lovers you should. Very well balanced, articulate, and rich in harmonic content. To my ears they are more focused than the burstbucker pros in the same guitars. Not quite as full bodied and chimey as the APH2 slashbuckers (which rock as a bridge in a tele, if you can stand the sacrilege.) The Seths also rock the neck of a tele with a conventional bridge p'up for a Keefish tone.

The Seths wound up in my Epi 175, b/c they sound great to me, and it's my working man's Steve Howe guitar. My 93 Studio has a set of Seymour Duncan MJ Custom Shop Antiquities and woah, are they sweet. The neck especially. My 79 Standard has a JB in the bridge that really snarls. Were it not for th4 antiquities being a matched set, the Anytiquities neck would already be in then 79...

Who knows what the weekend holds! I recently scored a DiMarzio Super Distortion from the classifieds here, and found a $49 Epi SG bodied JR at the local GC. This should be fun!

Mother poppy may be a harsh mistress, but being a toneslut at least entails tangibles for the investments.

Just for kicks and giggles, I put a set of t-tops in a super strat with a tex-mex neck in the middle. It's a hoot!

13. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I gotta set that's going in my VSB Elitist tomorrow. I'll let you know if Rob's lying or not. I think NOT though.

BTW, I love your new Avatar. :wow:

Probuckers are great. Built on the same bobbins and with the same wire as their Gibby counterparts.

1 person likes this.
  14. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Senior Member

They're nice pups. Lotta character to them, but they are prone to feedback due to their lack of potting. I left the guitar too close to the amp one night when I got up to go answer the door. Guitar started making noise loud enough for the pizza guy to hear it. He knew exactly what it was though, so we had a good laugh about it.

2 people like this.
  15. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

The quest for tone never ends. :naughty: You may think you have what you want then BAM you see a set of pickups that you think you might like to try. I have to say the Skatterbrane Earthbranes that are in one of my Elitists won't be coming out any time soon if ever. They are really great sounding. I just bought a set of Timbuckers that will go in the Bacchus Classic. Although the stock pickups have an unusually nice PAF tone going on but I'm sure the Timbuckers will be a nice upgrade just because they are Timbuckers. There have been some really nice pickups in the classifieds lately. Timbuckers, Throbaks, Rolphs, Skatterbranes, Wizz, Bare Knuckle, damn I could spend a bunch of money in there. Well actually I did. :laugh2: Try some pickups, if you don't like them flip em. And don't forget the many winders we have right here on the forum. They will all work with you to give you what you're looking for. Good luck and have fun!

16. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Are Probuckers import replicas of Burstbuckers? Exact copies?

17. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

Epiphone ProBucker There you go.

18. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Thanks for posting.

Epiphone ProBucker™ Pickups: You'll Love The Way They Sound

[​IMG]
    In an effort to continually improve quality, Epiphone has introduced new features over the years like our wiring harness Quick Connector for unequalled reliability and ease of service, an All-Metal Toggle Switch to ensure years of reliable service and performance, the LockTone™ Tune-o-matic/Stopbar that auto-locks the bridge and tailpiece in place with no tools needed, Full-Size 1" Diameter Potentiometers for better "throw," longer life and reliable service and proprietary Non-Rotating Output Jacks that feature an improved contact shape and heavy-duty spring steel... just to name a few.
    Now we are proud to announce the introduction of the Epiphone ProBucker™ pickup. Currently offered in various models including the Les Paul Standard PlusTop PRO, Les Paul Ultra PRO, Les Paul Standard Quilt Top PRO, Les Paul Custom PRO, Les Paul Ultra-III, and other models coming soon. These pickups are an inspired version of Gibson's BurstBucker, featuring unevenly wound coils and Alnico-II magnets that replicate that "Patent Applied for" airy tone. You'll love the way they sound!
    ProBuckers feature:
    18% Nickel Silver unit bases and covers: This is the same alloy used by Gibson. The use of Nickel Silver reduces the occurrence of eddy currents due to low conductivity and provides a more transparent and crisp output.
    Bobbins manufactured to Gibson specifications and dimensions: The size and shape of bobbins has great impact on tonal response. The bobbins used on these pickups duplicate the size and shape of the gold standard in the industry, Gibson humbuckers.
    Elektrisola magnet wire: The same wire used by Gibson. Single build (thickness of coating on wire) high quality magnet wire manufactured to NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association) standards.
    Pole screws and slugs: Manufactured to Gibson specifications, using the same metal alloys.
    Also: ProBucker pickups feature Sand cast Alnico II magnets, high quality 4 conductor lead wire and are Vacuum Wax potted to eliminate microphonics.

1 person likes this.
  19. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Senior Member

I think they're much better then stock Epi standard pups when playing clean.

20. arc anjil

arc anjil Senior Member

I think they're OK, but I think (think!) I would rather have SD 59's or Pearly Gates or Dimarzio 36th Ann PAF's.

To me the Probuckers are a little to "active-y", hot. I'd like something not so "metal-y", something more 70's hard rock.

2012 MIC Epi LP Standard Pro +top
    Peavey Vypyr Tube 60