What's the earliest Norlin three pickup Custom??

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by capnjim, Mar 7, 2018.

1. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

So I have this 1974 LP Custom..pots date to 1974. It has three pickups. The weird thing is, the third pickup is an Epiphone. But, the ring, screws and cover match the others exactly. The guitar has everything else original down to the last screw, so it hasn't been messed with. (Slight headstock crack)
    Is it possible its a factory order? Or just a really really good job.
    Cheers

aalpcustom.jpg whitelproute.jpg custompupswear.jpg lpcustomback.JPG lpcustomhead.JPG lpcustomtuners.JPG

scozz, garybaldy and mudface like this.
  2. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

i know they used some leftover epi stuff for some minibuckers etc. etc. but I have never heard one word about full size.

I would think someone robbed it.....not a big deal, you can pick up a period T-top fairly easy and since you have all of the trim...baddaBAM!

done......

nice looking guitar, can we get some more pics?

I would like to see the neck pocket straight on, if you can......

3. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

^^^ Yup, almost has to be a sub!

Epi for all accounts didn't last long enough to develop their own hummers, and as HCT said, minis were all the rage then.

How does the switching work to bring in the center pup? Neck and middle or Bridge and middle?

4. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

The middle PUP looks like it was never even hooked up, which is weird. All the pots and wiring are stock. I'm pretty sure it was not factory done, I am just curious if anyone else has seen three pickup customs from that era,

5. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Why do you think the perimeter's of the bridge/neck routes look to be raw/unfinished wood(rerouted??) but the center route looks painted?

whitelproute.jpg

6. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Man, this is interesting and that's a neat-looking Custom! I have to say that route looks factory perfect to me. I'd also love to see some top-down pics of the routes -- curious how much tenon is extending into the neck cavity and would like to see the middle one, too. Could be somebody stole the middle pickup and replaced it with a "junk" one as a place-holder, just for looks and left it out of the circuit. I'm no expert, but I feel like '76 is where you start to see lots of factory 3-p/u Customs.

7. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Spraying angle? If they were fanning the spray up/down, they might not have caught much of the edges on one side or the other.

8. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

I do see the route is painted, and looks different. I bought the guitar knowing it was done after. To me, the weird part is how the covers, rings and screws, even the tiny little chips in the finish the screws make, are all identical.

9. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

Refinish?

DarrellV likes this.
  10. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the finish is original. The neck might have been re-sprayed when the crack was fixed, but, judging by the cavities, its the original finish. I have looked at lots of pics of white '70's customs and they all look the same general color.

11. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

How DOES the switching work on a normal 3 pickup custom? I've always wondered. Does it have a 5 way switch or is it just all pickups on in the middle position?

12. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

IIRC, it's like neck-neck+middle-bridge. Been a while since I've had a 3-p/u Gibbo, though

DarrellV likes this.
  13. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

[​IMG]

14. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

I rarely use my tone, I was going to wire it up with three volumes, and one master tone. Middle position will be all three on.

15. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Would have to examine closely in person to (maybe) figure this out, since the possibilities range from careful unoriginal mod to original Gibson (special order or regular issue.) For some reason, many players claim that the middle PU is not really usable (I ttally disagree) and so the original easily could have been removed and replaced with a newer Epi. There are no old Epi full-sized humbuckers. The ones Gibson recycled (in Deluxes) after buying Epi are the mini-hums that were the old Epi standard. Very interesting post! A good builder could fix, fake, mod, etc. pretty successfully, in ways hard to show in pics. I would get a period-correct PU in place of the Epi.

16. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Sorry to double-post. I have an '87 reissue '61 LP SG Custom, and the 3 PUs are located with the rings touching ea. other. Can't vouch for the singlecuts, but I know some of the ones I've encountered are similar to my SG with no space between the pickup rings. Surely someone must know if the (non-SG) Customs have as much space b/w PUs as yours does.

17. scozz

scozz Senior Member

This is a very interesting Custom @capnjim. It’s also a beautiful Custom! Sorry I don’t have any answers for you, but I love your LP!

I’m pretty sure that there is less space from the end of the fretboard to the bridge on a SG than a LP.

18. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ This is impossible. They are exactly the same scale length so that space cannot be anything but the same.
    The typical SG does however have a moved neck pickup.....due to the body shape and the bevels making the typical 'under 24th fret node' positioning impossible. This means the pickup spacing is of course tighter

19. scozz

scozz Senior Member

I stand corrected...thanks @ARandall.

You’re right the difference is the neck pickup is back off the end of the neck more.

kakerlak likes this.
  20. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Yep. 3p/u LPs have the neck and bridge pickups in their normal spots with the middle one centered b/w them. Ends up being a little gap b/w each pickup.