Whats the best overdrive pedal for a solid-state amp?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by ThomJohn, May 7, 2008.

1. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

There are plenty of people who can afford anything they want, and yet they are known for using solid state - sometimes on occasion, and sometimes as a long term preference. You get the amp that sounds the way YOU want for the music YOU play, and you "test" it live - not in some overcompressed web video or doctored up recording. You don't get what some internet stranger tells you to get - especially any who oversimplify and say ALL of anything sucks..

Short list of people who use or have used solid state, even though an internet guy has declared all SS amps to be crap:

Dimebag Darrell (Randall), John McLaughlin, John Fogerty (Kustom), Albert King, Robbie Krieger, BB King (Lab Series), Pat Metheny, George Benson, Beatles, James Hetfield, Paul Simon, Andy Summers, Billy Gibbons (has been known to use a ZT Lunchbox sometimes), Joe Pass

Short list of useable and famous SS amps:

Vox Super Beatle (and other Vox), Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight, Roland Cube 60, Roland JC-120, Randal RG100, Polytone Mini Brute, Evans SE200, Gibson Lab Series (BB King), Blue Tone Pro30, Tech 21 Trademark 60, Vox Pathfinder, Vox Cambridge, Orange Crush 30R, Hughes and Kettner 60r/60dfx
    Peavey Special 130, Peavey Bandit 112, Carvin ST4000, Henriksen Jazzamp

2. ddevil

ddevil Senior Member

Yeah! What he said! Lol

3. rybass

rybass Senior Member

I'll add Sunn to the fantastic ss amp list. Leslie West found his sound on a ss Sunn.

I use a ss beta lead with various pedals. I for tube like sound I like my DS-1 modded to seeing eye specs, DOD 250+, SD twin tube classic and a decent compressor.

4. Tsevos

Tsevos Member

Hello !

i am in Love with Okko Diablo overdrive

[​IMG]

video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFU67iXN24c]YouTube - Handmade Okko Diablo Overdrive Pedal + Gibson Les Paul P-90[/ame]

5. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Hey!

My Hughes & Kettner made it to Steve's list!:thumb: Very nice soundind amp indeed, especially the cleans. And it takes my pedals really well.

6. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Yup. My list was not meant to be all inclusive, but I think even though I missed some, it got the point across. Notice I snuck mine in there too :naughty:

7. colchar

colchar Banned

That's because they are the same company so they are just using their own equipment.

8. colchar

colchar Banned

And not all SS amps suck nor are all tube amps great.

9. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I've been using an old 4 knob Barber Burn Unit into the clean channel of a Peavey Transtube amp for noodling around/practicing at home, and I dig the juicy tone.