Whats the best overdrive pedal for a solid-state amp?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by ThomJohn, May 7, 2008.

1. Musician's Navigator

Musician's Navigator MLP Sponsor

You are absolutely right Beerdog80. However, it is not a regular (mass production) pedal and is not built out of regular parts (there are used semiconductor components used only in high quality studio devices, germanium transistors and so on). It has been meant as a final overdrive solution. And actually it is working really nicely with solid-states.

2. ddevil

ddevil Senior Member

Fulltone GT500....its a dual pedal ..will give you all the OCD sounds plus more....then add a boost as the second side...awesome!

Cheers,
    dd

3. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

I've always been a bit of a 'get a better amp' first kinda guy. IMO, pedals should mold your natual tone, not provide the tone. Are you affiliated with them?

4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I'll second this. I had the three-knob version for a long time, and while it wasn't the hottest pedal I ever played, it was breathier than any solid-state you'll get. It really responded to my playing. Gain at 9 or 10 o'clock, output on two or so. Pump it into a Fender, and ride your volume knob for tone.

5. Musician's Navigator

Yes, sure, guitar and amp are absolute alpha and omega for me as well but there are many people who rather prefer to play solid-state amps or need something for direct in... ThomJohn asked for the best pedal for solid-state amp. I own one and it is working very nicely with solid-state amps. I would never recommend something I have never played/tried...

6. Rock

Rock Senior Member

Even though I have a 100 watt tube amp my main amp is a solid state. It's an 1985 100 watt Fender Stage Lead II. I like the clean setting on it, I like the way it takes pedals, I like that I can play it at very, very low volumes. I like that I have my setting set (to me) as a hotter Tube Screamer setting. Since it's an old SS I do need boxes to get distortion.

Most boxes sound like they come from a box but I think I can get some sweet sounding classic rock sound from the ones I have because the amp is powerful and it likes all pedals.

For my amp, my personal favorite is my 1990 BK Real Tube. As soon as I plugged it in I liked it. I had that classic rock sound to me. The sound came from the amp not the pedal. I was able to get nice, full and heavy sounds from it. Everything but Tube Screamer sound. I loved it so much it was my main and usually only distortion/overdrive pedal I used. 2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week for 5 years. Personally, I think I just got lucky and got a good one. The box had no vent holds and I got worried about the tube so I picked up another one years later and it was my second worst pedal of all of mine.

The Tube Works Classic Tube is also very good too. Not as heavy and bassy but still very good. I use that one a lot too.

I also love the ProCo Rat Vintage Rat. That one works real good with my amp. AC/DC sound without even trying. Total classic rock not fizzy or fuzzy. I think the ProCo Rat 2 sounded too much but the Vintage was just right.

I'm using the M.I. Audio Crunch Box right now. It's too new to tell. I can hear the British sound when I play some AC/DC chords but I don't think it sounds the same on notes high up on the guitar. With a tube amp I think it is suppose to be full, warm and round. I'm not getting full, warm and round solos. Mine's thinner sounding, cleaner and more note defined.

Personally, I wanted to try the Fulltone OCD but couldn't afford that price. I tried to use the Guitar Center $20 off code but the site wouldn't accept it. I also tried to use the 15% off code and it wouldn't accept that. Yet, it did accept the Crunch Box so I got that one.

The problem it that BK stuff is like $300 new and Vintage Rat is discontuned.

So, I say Fulltone OCD -- that's the one I'm going to try to get by the end of the year.

On a budget I guess Boss DS-1 or turn on your overdrive/distortion on the amp and add a Boss SD-1 or a Bad Monkey. The Bad Monkey sounds good on my amp as well.

7. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

Since there is just about no info on it out there, how about some sound clips?

8. Guitar Freak

Guitar Freak Senior Member

+1 on the Dist III!

9. blamo

blamo Senior Member

love my fulltone OCD.

albeit I run it on a tube, I've plugged it into a fender frontman 15G and gotten great sound from it (the OD channel on that amp is garbage)

10. Musician's Navigator

OK. I will try to find some time next week to record something nice with that thing and then I will post it here.

11. Boppy

Boppy Senior Member

Well...here's what I would do.
    I would get a distortion pedal and dial it back for a decent OD sound.
    Or...I would get a pedal with a 12AX7 built in.
    An OD pedal will just sound too flat and feeble with a solid state amp. OD pedals are designed mainly to heat up the pre-amp stage of a tube-amp, and it just won't function the same with a solid-state amp.
    So, I would look more into getting a distortion pedal than an overdrive.

12. kungpow!

kungpow! Senior Member

Solid state sucks.

Get a tube amp.

13. zontar

zontar Senior Member

There's a good chance nobody agrees with me--but an unmodded Boss DS-1 is what I've sued for years--through a Roland JC-660.

And people like my tone.

I also like the DOD Classic Tube as well--and they sound great together.

But it has to be a sound you like.

14. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Generally speaking, I have the impression that Boss pedals are designed to sound good / decent in front of clean amps. Either clean-set tube amps or SS amps. The vast majority of videos / demos on the Boss website are done with Roland amps.

For what's worth, I use a SS amp and don't have a Boss pedal in my rig (yet...).

Edit: My Crunch Box works killer with my amp. You have to listen to believe it.:thumb:

15. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

I've had these for quite a few years, and while they sound OK, to MY ear they still sound like a pedal and not like a tube amp being "kicked hard".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or maybe I am just being too picky?

16. ddevil

ddevil Senior Member

I understand the Metal Zone as that always sounded "like cheap tin" to me....but I am surprised that tube driver doesn't sound good...I know those were/are popular especially with people modding them....

Cheers,
    DD

17. colchar

colchar Banned

What a ridiculous comment.

18. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Maybe I'm just being too picky.

19. blamo

blamo Senior Member

word. not everyone can afford a tube amp. I dont know why everyone hates on people asking for advice on this matter.

20. ddevil

ddevil Senior Member

I thinks its tough advice to give because what someone likes in the terms of sound is subjective....i know some people love fender hot rod deluxe od...i think its sounds like muffled turds!...lol..i love j. 120 cleans as well as fender but hiwatt cleans are my favs! Love peavey and marshall distortion....and vox is an animal all on its own.....you can't tell someone what sounds good to them...people like what they like!