Whats the best overdrive pedal for a solid-state amp?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by ThomJohn, May 7, 2008.

1. ThomJohn

ThomJohn Member

Title asks it all ya'll.
    Keep in mind I prefer a more classic sound. Not too much into metal. Mostly.

2. b-squared

b-squared Banned

If you have the clams, I like the BK Butler Tube Driver (4 knob version).

Next for me is the Fulltone OCD.

ZVex Box of Rock comes highly recommended--never tried it myself (but would based on MLP dudes reviews).

BB

3. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

On my Crate GFX 212, I swear by the SD-1.

4. stryker59

stryker59 Senior Member

i really love the fulltone ocd!! also check out the mxr distortion III. another great pedal!!

5. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

If you're on a limited budget I would recommend the Digitech Bad Monkey. It's worth twice the price IMO and is very warm. The overdrive fits into the Tube Screamer category so it may not have enough drive for your tastes but It'll do pretty well for Classic Rock stuff. One great feature is that it has a high and low eq so you can make the low end as beefy as you want which also adds warmth.

I've heard nothing but good things about the OCD but it's fairly pricey. It all just depends on what you're looking for and what you have to spend.

6. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

The OCD is amazing, but it IS expensive. It's all about getting that tone you want. "Tone" is very subjective, but I'd rather spend a little extra and get the sound I want.. it definitely gives me more confidence.

7. Big John

Big John drinks are on the house V.I.P. Member

You want a classic rock sound from a solid state amp? All the overdrives listed sound absolutely great with a tube amp that have a dash of preamp distortion already going on, but with a solid state amp I don't know. The Butler 4-knob unit like b-squared's would be good; even their 5-knob pedal ain't too bad for classic rock. I have the Soldano pedal that I sometimes blow the dust off of, and I know it works great with ss amps. I'd recommend a tube overdrive pedal. To my ears, a solid state overdrive pedal into a solid state amp isn't very classic rock sounding.

Just an opinion.
    :cheers:

8. ThomJohn

ThomJohn Member

So would you recommend a tube pedal instead? Right now I'm kinda debating between the OCD and the Electro Harmonix English Muff'n (with tubes). I know they are a bit pricey, but since I just sold my GNX4 for $400 i'm good there. Not enough to go all out and get a tube amp though...

9. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Boss BD2 with Keeley mods is really, really good for the money. If you're in the USA it's only $150 including shipping. The most transparent overdrive I've ever used, will drop back into clean with light picking, great when used with a SS amp. A singer that I play for is using a homebrew equivalent I modded with a Fender Stage 160 and it sounds fantastic.

Tube overdrive pedals never really make a SS state amp sound like a tube amp...tube preamp, SS power section doesn't really work either.

Liam

10. Circus

Circus Member

So, is the fulltone OCD a good match with a LP?

11. stryker59

stryker59 Senior Member

heck yeah!!!!!! sounds awesome w/ lp's!!

12. b-squared

b-squared Banned

In all the SS amps I've ever owned (first tube amp was in 2004), I've used an 80's MXR Distortion +.

Sounded awesome.

I'll tell ya another one that sounds great, but is pricey...the Hermida Zendrive.

BB

13. taypeng

taypeng Senior Member

Fulltone OCD bro!

Besides the OCD, the other two OD i think are good, MI crunchbox and barber direct drive.

Boss BD2 is good as well but it has to be modded to rid the buzzy edge when the gain knob is turned up.

14. lifele55

lifele55 Senior Member

Urgh all this OCD talk is making me want it more and more...

I'm looking to trade my Reeza with the OCD, good/bad move?

Although the Reeza's good, it gets really really drowned out in band situation and during jam sessions I have to constantly adjust it, kinda annoying the shit outta me. The only other solution would be an EQ I guess..

15. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

+1 for the Fulltone OCD ... Gibsonblues

16. ThomJohn

ThomJohn Member

Any suggestions on where I could get an OCD?
    The store closest to me on their dealer list I contacted... said he was sold out.

17. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

I picked mine up at a GC in town. Google Fulltone OCD and you will find plenty of places to buy one .... or go back to the Fulltone website and look under dealers and try some other than the closest to you. Gibsonblues...

18. mojofilter

mojofilter Senior Member

TRY FINDING "THE SATCHURATOR" it should be coming out soon! I saw JOE,playing it the GUITAR CENTER SESSIONS,it was the only distortion pedal he was using ,it sounded fabulous!check out the video on youtube! good luck.

19. Musician's Navigator

Musician's Navigator MLP Sponsor

Definitively boutique pedal VHRelief AD99, it can give you the sound of tube amp even played through the solid-state amp. It had been used also by Hiram Bullock (RIP)...

20. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

For the price of that thing, you could buy a decent low watt tube amp.