What's the best LP for the money ?

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by kwcsports, Apr 28, 2011.

1. kwcsports

kwcsports Junior Member

Hi guys, I'm looking for an LP and there are so many different models. In your opinions, which model offers the most performance and playability for the money ? New or used, I don't care. BTW I want to spend 1800 tops. Thanks in advance for all advice.

2. BigAl

BigAl Senior Member

You could find used Standards at that price all day long. For the money, its pretty good, because you'll get all the bells and whistles you wouldn't get with a studio. You know, neck binding, top binding, finishes etc. These things are purely cosmetic though (aside of course from using different woods for their tops). Anyways, that's my $0.02. Buy one that ISN'T chambered, so pre 2005. The chambered models may look pretty, but sound like dogs. They might as well add F holes because they aren't LP sounding anymore.

sandmannn69 likes this.
  3. pawpek

pawpek Senior Member

I would have a look at the '60s tribute studio, yes they don't have all the flash stuff of the more expencive models but they are good players

[​IMG]

Then use the extra to get a nice amp :hmm: but the best thing to do is go into your local stores and play them to see which one jumps out at you. This one did from the moment I saw her

4. kwcsports

kwcsports Junior Member

Thanks guys, great advice. That Studio^^^^ looks amazing!!

5. Chase743

Chase743 Member

If you're looking for the most performance for the money, then definitely go with the Studio. There are tons to choose from. The flood models are beautiful and fall w/in your budget. The 60's tributes are popular if you like p-90s, and the regular studio is pretty sweet too.

If aesthetics are important, then take a look at some used standards or traditionals. The pickups will be different, so there will be some tonal changes, but you're mostly paying for binding and flame tops.

Also, the switches in my studios weren't switchcraft (but have been upgraded since the others crapped out on me). No idea if that's changed or universal. Just FYI.

6. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

Les paul studio.
    Youd best look for a local deal on a second hand regular studio. Nitro finish, humbuckers. I think you can get a nice one for about 600$ or less if you are lucky.
    A good amp is gonna make way more difference than you will ever hear between a studio or standard.

7. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Wow, very open ended question. You're gonna get a lot of differing opinions. It may be helpful to give us a little more info on what your needs/hopes are. Good luck with your LP search.

8. TheImmaterial

TheImmaterial Senior Member

Yeah, the thousands of people who've bought them must be tone deaf! I mean that guy from Lynard Skynard must be a complete idiot for buying a C9! And he owns a burst too! What a waste :rolleyes:

River likes this.
  9. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

value for money! true Les Paul sound, look for a late 80's or early 90's Studio,
    made the old fashioned way no circuit board electronics, no chambering, just good old fashioned tone, you should find a nice one for around $700 to $800

flyingdutchman and BigAl like this.
  10. River

River Senior Member

(Mostly) good input here, esp. about Studios. But the best value for money IMO (if not least money) is the right price on a used R8 or similar.

Chambered or otherwise. :)

Dino Velvet likes this.
  11. colchar

colchar Banned

You could also look at some of the special runs of the Traditionals (depending on where you are located) as they all seem to go for $1700.

jonc and Skintaster like this.
  12. BigAl

BigAl Senior Member

Whatever, I just don't like the way they feel or sound, sue me. :)

13. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

I have owned a few chambered Les Paul's and the chambering douse not make them sound bad, just slightly different, there are some great sounding chambered Les Paul;s out there!

ll IrOn CiTy ll and Sournote like this.
  14. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Senior Member

Studio. It's the whole reason it was developed--all of the sound and none of the bling.

bobswinea likes this.
  15. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Senior Member

I agree with this poster and everybody else who thought "Studio."

People always say to buy used. The used route is a wildcard; yes, you can find bargains but you have to know what you're doing. As far as the guitar's inherent value in the marketplace, the Studio's the model designed for folks like the OP (and me!).

Peace

Rex

16. kwcsports

kwcsports Junior Member

OK, I play mostly classic rock/blues. I have an SG that I love but have played a few LP's that just sounded so full and rang forever. I really don't care about flame tops and binding. I just want a great sounding/sustaining LP.

17. kwcsports

kwcsports Junior Member

Also, thanks again to everyone that took the time to help me. I really appreciate it. This forum is excellent and has so much info, I'll be here for awhile.:applause:

18. TheWilly17

TheWilly17 Senior Member

I'm going to get hammered for this, but I don't like the Studios at all. The ones I have played and held just did not do it for me. If I were to suggest a model for a new LP owner I would say a Special, but an early 2000's model. It has the weight and playability you expect when you think of a Les Paul. I own Standards and Customs, but always find myself going back to the Specials for some reason.

19. JohnnyPhatsaqs

JohnnyPhatsaqs Senior Member

My vote goes to the Studio. With a little love, they sure can be just as beautiful. Love this guitar.

[​IMG]

Skintaster and coldsteal2 like this.
  20. BigAl

BigAl Senior Member

Happy guitar hunting :thumb: