what's the best 335 copy?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by toolshed, Apr 8, 2011.

1. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

If you can find an early '80 MIK Tamaki 335 copy, that's the one to look for.

These instruments are made in the same factory were the body of the Clapton 335 replica was made, 'Vintage 63 ES-335 specs.

I got one for next to nothing and after I've changed the guts and p'ups, it's quite the player, with a bit rudish, commanding and lively tone. It's got even more grit than my #1 335 copy, a 1980 MIJ in the Terada factory branded Emperador, and it can also be found branded El Torres.

I'm EXTREMELY happy with it; I got a whole lot more than I've bargained for.

Later I'll post some pics, IF I can find my digital camera...

2. emptyisvarah

emptyisvarah Senior Member

how about the bridge sir? is that still stock? and if you don't mind, what year is it? that SA2200 is niceeee

3. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Senior Member

Yes, the bridge is stock. Like everything else very high quality and no reason to change it. I bought this one new from GC about 4 months ago.

4. emptyisvarah

emptyisvarah Senior Member

oh, nice to know sir. I asked because the bridge on my 79 SA700 has warped over time so I needed to upgrade. thanks for the reply. ingat! ( that's take care in Tagalog, I'm from Manila)

5. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Senior Member

The original tail piece was made by Gotoh. I would assume the bridge is Gotoh as well. That would be where I would look for a replacement.

ingat

6. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

I was set on buying an Epi Dot as my next purchase. Yall got me eyeing the AS73 now....

7. Raidersfan

Raidersfan Senior Member

You will not be disappointed :)

8. rdsmith3

rdsmith3 Senior Member

I tried out both. They are both good guitars, and great values. IMO, the pickups on the Dot were a bit better, and the fit/finish on the AS73 was a bit better. They both played nicely. I would have been happy with either, but I ended up going with the Dot because I got a better price on it. Both usually retail for around $400 but it seems you can more easily find deals on the Dot. I got a new Dot for $250.

[​IMG]

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  9. MadWolfZX

MadWolfZX Senior Member

I vote Ibanez Artcore. Frankly, they have better finish and build quality than most Gibson examples! They sound incredible, too. The only dowside is the veneer top does not seem to have the same nice shapes usually used on most guitars unless you pick carefully. I had one of these(well, mine was a E350 copy, but this is very similar to the 335 copy), and it was wonderful(had to sell it to make a car payment when I was down on my luck a while back.. :( ). I'm going to buy the same model/color again when I get my finances straight. ( bought my guitars when I had lots of excess income - but right now I can't afford to buy any recreational products/services ).

Here is a pic(not the best pic, this was just one of the photos I snapped hastily used to sell it) of my baby...how I miss her...
    [​IMG]

10. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

mmmm....blue......

11. MojoMonster

MojoMonster Senior Member

For those of you in the market for a non-Gibson 335 style guitar, there's a Carvin SH225 up for auction. Number 360360083609.

These things are super rare on eBay. I know because I keep on the lookout for them.

It's not mine, so no shilling.

I got a 1988 225 off of eBay a couple years back for this guys starting price and it's well worth it.
    In case you didn't know, the bodies were made for Carvin by Hofner and are essentially a Verythin with a different headstock.

MM

12. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

Im going to email Hanson and see if they will do a normal bucker Chicagoan. If so, I may be in. Not a fan of the mini buckers, or p90s.

13. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

Yeah, you can find deals on these - Watch the holiday sales, etc. at the big box stores.. I got mine new at Sam Ash Black Friday sale for $227! At that price, I decided to spring for a $90 Epi case for it - a very nice case by the way..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. neuronic

neuronic Senior Member

Matsumoku made Epiphone Rivieras are by far the best 335 copies ever, superior to most genuine 335s...
    Quite expensive, though, but worth it.

Noel Gallagher used to play one of these on the first Oasis albums.

Attached Files:

15. 508 Park Ave

508 Park Ave Senior Member

Wow! Stunning indeed!

16. bluesguitar1972

bluesguitar1972 Senior Member

How did you make out with them?
    I'm loving the P90's but never had a guitar with the mini's.

[​IMG]

17. feelinblue

feelinblue Senior Member

I have a Verythin Standard and a Verythin Classic, both bought for just under a grand in GBP, and I can assure you that the Standard plays better than a 335, No question. I had the choice - Gibson or Hofner - and I can assure you that, although I was set to take the Gibson, once I tried the Hofner I took that instead.

18. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

They said the upcharge for standard buckers would be 150. Not bad considering is a custom 1 off.

19. sledge57

sledge57 Member

Gotta throw Hagstrom in here, I love my Viking Deluxe ($700)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

^^ I love my regular Viking. Haven't got pictures of it, but it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

I have to say Hagströms come with some of the nicest stock pickups for "budget" guitars.