Whats so special about the Strat?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by GreenDay, Aug 18, 2010.

1. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

This thread got me to pull my favorite Strat out of its case... Its been the only one getting played for several days in a row now.

Strats are King... no doubt.

2. planks

planks Senior Member

Leo Fender

[​IMG]

3. SteveGangi

SteveGangi V.I.P. Member

Drop a Tele. Everyone will check to see if the stage is OK :D

4. River

River Senior Member

No, Strats are princes. See below.

5. Solidasrock

Solidasrock Senior Member

Ha! Ha!

A slab of wood with a stick bolted on.... but some guys can sure make them sing sweetly.

6. Lester

Lester Senior Member

I wondered about Strat's too, having never played one :)

A couple weeks ago I was at Guitar Spender, picking up some Dr. Ducks. I had the evening open, the place was almost empty, and I thought to myself hmmm... now's a good time to try out a Strat. I had the kuel-dude behind the counter pull down down a couple American Strats, all single coil, both hard tails, to try them out. One was a Deluxe (v-neck, addition pickup combos that I can't imagine ever having a need for) at $1500 and the other wasn't at $1200. I played though some clean and dirty amps.

The non-Deluxe wasn't set up right. Action was too high. just felt wrong all around. I could still get some reasonable tone out of it but it sucked. The Deluxe, OTOH, was set up perfectly. I'm a thin neck kind of guy (short fingers, can't waste reach on a baseball neck) so I expected I would not like the V neck, but the V neck was excellent. Action was low. The whole guitar just felt right from the get go. I decided I wanted a Strat then... and I still do. Just a matter of time and financial priorities now.

One thing I don't get is playing a Strat for clean sounds. They just sound thin and lifeless IMHO. I'll grab a Les Paul anytime for mellow, clean sounds. But for dirty a la SRV or Jimi, maybe some inprov Blues, the Strat can be very, very nice.

The other thing I don't get is a Strat with a humbucker? A Strat is all about single coil sounds, especially in the bridge position, where I see a lot of them with Humbuckers now. On a Tele it's even worse: WTF, a Tele with a Humbucker in the bridge? A Tele is all about the single coil bridge sound! You want Humbuckers, pick up a Les Paul!

My .02, with .01 of it funded by the Stimulus / ARRA.

7. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

cool story, Lester...

suggestion: next time in a similar situation, based on my experience, play around with the tone control on the guitar, many times with a Strat it is a matter of dialing around until you find its "G spot"

if you do that (or if you already did that) and you still do not like what you are hearing, if there is a "right one" for you, that one is not it... but, this does not mean there is not a Strat just for you

sometimes, as with many adventures in life, it comes down to commitment and perseverance...

8. X–Ray

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCQzpo0DoqI&feature=related"]YouTube - Eric Clapton - "Old Love" (solo only) - Pgh, PA 2-25-10[/ame]

i was there, check my youtube comment (cosmicxray)
    i was at the right place just at the right time...

9. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

10. X–Ray

unfortunately, it was not, Beck was sorely missed (me bad)

11. zslane

zslane Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I needed a good laugh today. Muchthanks. :applause:

12. Solidasrock

This says it all:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOt3r_aNNxE&feature=related]YouTube - May i help you riff[/ame]

13. Solidasrock

When there is a movie called ' The Guitar'...it is just assumed to be a Strat.

movie theme: A Strat makes life better...can even cure a brain tumour..:dude:

(great solo...only a Strat can make this sound)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhm2LsnJz8I]YouTube - The Guitar -Trailer[/ame]

14. killaconrad

killaconrad Senior Member

That Wayne's World clip is so great, that movie's kind of underappreciated as a rock comedy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQANhRXDDt0]YouTube - In the Studio with... Yngwie Malmsteen[/ame]

:dude::dude::jam::jam::cool::cool:

15. Solidasrock

killaconrad;

Thanks for posting that clip. It's interesting to hear the casual tidbits about the guitars.

It also shows how much of a work horse the Strat is...just pile them up. If they scratch a bit pulling one out...so be it. It's made to be modded and played...not babied.

(that yellow is a god-awful colour!...more like the god-awful colours on a Tele)

16. GreenDay

GreenDay Senior Member

Oh man, this thread made 8 pages...

BTW, still not convinced. I was guitar shopping on friday, and I tried every strat they had. I still ended up with a tele.

17. mart1964

mart1964 Member

It is funny that some of my favourite guitarist (especially Gilmour) are strat players. I love some of the sounds from a strat.

But.... I don't find them comfortable or easy to play though, I prefer the neck profile of a Les Paul and similar guitars. Also, for a long period of the late 80's all you ever saw were strat based guitars, plus all the cheapest guitars are black strat copies with white scratchplates. The design has become so over exposed that I totally ignore them now. If I see a strat in a shop it doesn't even register to me anymore - I look right past it.

One day, maybe one day I will rediscover my love for them.

18. Solidasrock

I've always liked the added special feature in this clip...you don't need an amp or chord.

Any movie called 'Wild Guitar' is going to be about a Fender

You can watch the whole movie on youtube....worth it for the first couple minutes if you are a motorcycle buff.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osy7YHcCP2A&feature=related]YouTube - Wild Guitar (1962) trailer[/ame]

19. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

convinced of what? what were you expecting with this thread? You came in already knowing you dont like them, having heard and played them, how is anyone going to 'convince' you that you do like them?

You could post a "whats so special" thread for any guitar: LPs, Teles, SGs, acoustics, anything, and you will get different people with different tastes and different opinions. Thats why there are different guitars, wouldnt it be bland if everyone played the same thing?

I dont particularly like telecasters, I'm glad you like yours, but theyre not really me. I dont need to know what other people like about them, its not going to mean anything to me, just like why I like my strat doesnt mean anything to you

BTW the thread is going to go on forever because you asked a question that cant be answered, but people will continue to debate because of the passion people have for their instruments. guitars are extremely personal and subjective

20. X–Ray

precisely, and, i believe when conversation does not lose sight of that, it can be an enjoyable exchange...