Whats so special about the Strat?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by GreenDay, Aug 18, 2010.

1. GreenDay

GreenDay Senior Member

Edit 2: Reworded in a neutral, opinion void way: Strats are guitars. They have strings, and can plug into amps. But only if that is your choice. They do not have to have strings, or plug into amps.

Also, I will now go to GC and play some strats for a length of time. I may have been completely wrong. I do sincerely apologize to anyone that I may have offended.

Edit: Please let this thread die. It was a bad idea in the first place.

2. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I like the tone, feel and look of them.

3. brianugly

brianugly Senior Member

I think that its just your opinion.

4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

don't listen to this one, he smokes the doobies :slash:

5. GreenDay

GreenDay Senior Member

Well, yes, it is. I was just curious about what made them special. I didn't say that it was a fact that they weren't great guitars, I said I personally didn't like them.

6. fatb0t

fatb0t Senior Member

Fret access, single coil tone, durability, tuning stability even with a floating bridge. All around amazing guitars, if I'm looking for a clean tone or a punchy tone I always always always go for a Strat. Plus they're a hell of a lot easier to do solos on past the 17th fret than a LP.

7. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

yeah, because Strat players dont smoke pot...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Mayo5

Mayo5 Senior Member

It takes too long to find the "right" one. That's why I'm building my high-end partscaster.
    The clean sounds is amazing, and the fret access is incredible. I feel like I can play faster and smoother on the smaller necks than the LP.

So for me the pros are:

Lightweight
    Easy fretting
    Fast playing
    Clean sounding

It all depends on the guitar though, alot of them sound very thin and almost plasticy.

Here's a great example of an awesome sounding strat:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs1u9yaFL1c&feature=related[/ame]

It has a clean full sound, but is very punchy and has alot of mids. It's still a little thin sounding, but is has that classic spank sound that alot of people like that.

9. ledlover01

ledlover01 Senior Member

:thumb:

10. GreenDay

GreenDay Senior Member

Yeah, the fender fretboards seem to be nicer than on th lp.

11. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Let's see... SRV, Buddy Guy, Clapton, Hendrix, David Gilmour, Jimmy Vaughan.. sure, the Strat is crap! :D

I used to think real badly of strats... till I spent time with one, and I mean a real basic one, rescued from the trash.... That little gal changed my mind about Strats...

You can get an AMAZING array of tones out of a strat, they're light weight, comfortable, and if you set them up right they will play easy.

I used to complain about strats, but I was just blaming MY OWN shortcomings as a player on the instrument.... I stopped making excuses and worked hard to become a better player, and now my strat just screams.... It's a worn out shape, true, copied by just about everybody, but I don't care about looking cool, I just wanna sound cool.

12. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I actually really like the feel of them. I had a Squier Classic Vibe '60s for a couple of years... It fit my body nicely, was incredibly light, played like butter, sounded amazing through my muddy tube amp. Sounded killer with dirt, cleaned up and sounded more "acoustic"-ish and musical to me than humbuckers or p90s. Best sounding clean guitar I've ever owned. The drawbacks, for me, were that with dirt it just didn't have that growl/stickiness/raspiness that I love from p90s, and the higher notes are harsh to my ear, borderline painful.

Went to a blues jam a couple weekends ago where everyone was playing Strats and all but one of those guys had that issue. If I still owned mine, I probably would have asked him his secret.

13. GreenDay

GreenDay Senior Member

I truly am shocked. I have never in my entire life heard a strat sound like that. Fantastic. :hmm:

14. zslane

zslane Senior Member

Nothing whatsoever.

They are the most plainly utilitarian, generic, common (electric) guitars ever made. It is/was the legendary Strat players that are/were special, not the guitars themselves. Strats may be highly functional, but that does not make them special, merely useful.

15. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

that clip sounded very close to SRV to me, are you not familiar with Stevies music? that would be a good place to start if you want to find out what the attraction to Strats is
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kpkSRtcrR0]YouTube - Riviera Paradise[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UYkQTK9pos]YouTube - STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN- TIGHTROPE *LIVE HQ*[/ame]

16. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

I've been playing my Strat a lot over the past few days. From a utilitarian standpoint, it's much lighter than my LPs, upper fret access is better, and I can lay it flat on the ground without worrying about the headstock. I also feel less precious about it than I do my LP: the poly finish wards off damage a bit better, and the guitar just feels like something I can beat the hell out of.

From a tonal standpoint, a good Strat has a clarity, especially in the neck position, that you don't get from other classic instruments. It has a great variety of clean tones, and with some good pickups you can edge into Gibson territory with the right amp or with the tone turned down on the guitar. It's not as forgiving as the tone of a Les Paul, but if you've got the chops you can really make them sound great.

17. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

I recently found I don't like the scale on the strat.
    I am not a big guy, so a shorter scale with the same radius fits me like a glove.
    Strat fingerboards always seemed too curved for me.

18. GreenDay

GreenDay Senior Member

Yup, I have occasionally listened to Stevie Ray Vaughn. Although not enough to realize that his strat sounds above average. I may have been wrong (although I still think its way to generic.

19. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I dont think his strat sounds above average, nor do i think that of the strat in the clip. Cant argue with what you think is generic, but how is anything anyone says about them being special (to them) going to change what you hear? You hear harsh tone, I hear smooth and mellow, fat and warm. SRV is one of the popular strat players/tones, if you dont like his, or other peoples, or your own, strat tone, than you dont like the sound of strats. Maybe you dont like the feel or the look of them either, c'est la vie

as zslane said, its the player. Ive heard plenty of strats, teles, LPs, SGs, you name it, sound bad, I wouldnt make any blanket statements about any one of those guitars sounding bad on some bad examples. They are generic, thats because alot of players people like them and use them, they are an industry standard, if that turns you off, again, that's life

20. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Great troll post, it should get lots of replies. :applause: Fact is, the strat is the most popular guitar in the world. It's the one 99.9% of the world envisions when you say the word "electric guitar".