What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 73Custom, Dec 19, 2009.

1. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

I've got some red oak drying that was from a tree I downed about two and a half years ago...got about another year of drying before I can use it.

2. archey

archey Senior Member

You probably have more experience than I do, but I've heard that you want to anchor seal the ends immediately.

3. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

That's if you are air drying it. Cut the tree down. Slab it as soon as possible and then sticker it. It will air dry in 1 year per inch. Did you cut the slabs to 3 1/2" thick?

I cut the tree, slab it, sticker it for about 3 months to season it and then put it in the kiln for 5 - 6 weeks. If I have the time to get it all slabbed in a couple of weeks, I can easily have it ready to use in 6 months.

Regards Peter.

4. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Most of the wood I will be cutting into planks for live edge coffee tables, so if it cracks it's actually better. Then I add butterfly keys and raise the price by $100. The smaller logs seem to split quicker and those are the ones I cut into slabs. The largest which are about 32" diameter will be cut for body blanks and acoustic sides and backs. The larger logs do not seem to split as quickly. I'll slab the large ones soon, so I will seal the ends after slabbed so I can seal a bit further back on the faces as well.

Cheers Peter.

archey likes this.
  5. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

6. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Stuff starting to trickle in for my next build...

[​IMG]

7. tabascom16

tabascom16 Member

My very first guitar is slowly coming together. Making jigs, buying tools and materials, and getting into my friend's wood shop has made this a slow going build, and I am OK with that. I just routed the neck pocket last night. First Les Paul Jr.jpg A sister guitar is not far behind it in the making. Honduran mahogany and Honduran rosewood fret board.

8. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Which is???single cut?

9. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Nope. This'll be a double-cut. Same body shape and carve as the phoenix guitar, although this will be 22 frets, 25" scale length, have a fixed bridge (TOM),
    book matched quilted top, faux binding, bound fretboard (cream), quilted headstock overlay matching the body, and that cool looking brazilian board I bought from Archey. Gonna finish it with nitro, tiger-eye and the figure will hit you in the face. Gotoh 3x3 locking tuners (schaller shape).
    This'll also be my first use of pickup covers :)

Pickups will be the same as the phoenix. JB and Jazz. Back and neck wood will also be the same (genuine mahogany), although given the differences in scale length (25" instead of 25.5"), fretboard wood (rosewood vs ebony), top wood (soft vs hard maple), bridge type (TOM vs Floyd Rose), and pickup covers (vs no covers) I don't expect it to sound the same.

I'm expecting it to sound a warmer/less bright, which is what I want.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    mux164 likes this.
  10. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Yea...the slabs are about 3.5" in thickness, although I cut them out of the stump with a chain saw. Not too pretty! I painted the ends with latex paint. So far there's minimal checking. Honestly, the biggest issue with these is going to be getting them down to a usable size. There's some spalting on one of the pieces.

11. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

Slowly working to complete my double cut build. I made some parts out of 6061 aluminum on the CNC machine. Made the neck plate and engraved my Sun, Moon and Stars logo on it. I later applied aluminum black and sanded it back leaving only the aluminum black in the engraved lines. If you're interested, for the engraving I used a 30 degree VBit at 8ipm feed and 3ipm plunge rate. Depth of cut per pass was .008" for a total depth of cut of .016" (two passes). I sprayed on a little mist of WD40 every now and then to keep the bit lubed. I cut out the plate with a 1/8" single flute spiral upcut bit at 8ipm feed and 3ipm plunge rate. Dept per pass at .008". It's slow, but won't break a bit!

[​IMG]

Cut out the pickup rings. I also engraved a little flourish on them but that's not shown here.

[​IMG]

Got the decal on the peghead...serial number 2018-1...likely to be the only guitar I build this year...LOL.

[​IMG]

And finally...I used the CNC machine to cut out a little pedal board for band practice. Just a tube screamer and a Line6 Pocket POD Express. The POD Express has a belt clip on the back and I routed out a pocket for that so the unit would fit flush onto the board. I love the simplicity of the POD Express and it sounds fantastic. Both pedals are attached to the board with cable ties.

[​IMG]

12. tabascom16

tabascom16 Member

So I found some rosewood advertised on Facebook on the other side of the country and price, density, and acquisition history was enough to take a gamble. I got the 4 boards today and they are the real deal Brazilian. Excellent $525 gamble. DC1018AE-57B0-4A4C-A3DF-9816784030C0.jpeg

13. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

Well, another cheap guitar project. A 2016 Squier Affinity Tele. Installed a MIM bridge pickup I converted to an a3. Took the tone sucking cover off the original neck pickup and installed a 4 way switch I had hanging around. Put the pearl pick guard I took off my MIM that I converted to an Esquire on it. Had to file the fret ends, don't know how anyone could have played it without shredding his fingers. Massive truss rod adjustment. Fixed some deep scratches on the back. Plays good and sounds great for a $200 guitar. Now I have to decide whether to sell it or keep it for a while.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

cmh6122 and fretman_2 like this.
  14. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Routing at the skunkworks shop!

LP Route.jpg

archey, Frack, bbaug14 and 4 others like this.
  15. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

Look at all that man glitter! Nice work :bowdown

Working on another ukulele, soprano this time. Might have a buyer already lined up so I spent much of this week working on it. Top and back is a nice slightly figured piece of sapele, and the sides are a sapele/cherry/sapele sandwich. The fretboard is bubinga...saw it in the wood store and thought I'd give it a try. Not my favorite, I think I'll stick with purpleheart in the future. I could use rosewood but I get a kick out of using different woods for fretboards!

Top and back are roughly 2mm thick, but I got the top to less than 1mm in one area...whoops. I hope it doesn't explode when I string it up!!

Before gluing the bridge on:
    [​IMG]

If you look close you can see my logo engraved on the back brace:
    [​IMG]

Finishing this one with satin poly...started out in the shed but it was raining today so I moved it in to avoid humidity. Also, as evident, I've glued the bridge on prior to finishing. Seemed to make more sense to me to just tape off the bridge. And if some finish leaked through, I'll just finish the bridge:
    [​IMG]

Final coat applied, and moved inside for better climate (don't mind the toilet..):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lowatter, cmh6122, Freddy G and 2 others like this.
  16. WezV

WezV Senior Member

not technically the workbench, because that is currently covered in orange paduak dust... so on the dining table instead

Pulling frets and repairing slots on a 74 Custom
    [​IMG]

Its already had one re-fret about 15 years ago so nibs are gone. I don't think the board was levelled when it was done, the frets are really uneven and lifting at the edges
    look at the random crowns on these:
    [​IMG]

its going to get some nice chunky modern wire :)

and the reason for the paduak dust in the workshop. I picked up a N4 style project. its had a lot of dents steamed out and been stripped back to bare wood ready for a new oil finish
    [​IMG]

cmh6122 and Frack like this.
  17. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

A friend dropped over with some wood for me. Very nice stuff. Anyone care to guess about species? There are 5 different species here. There are 2 piles of 3 fret boards, that smell like root beer, which are the same species. The big ones are probably quite easy.
    wood01.jpg

Cheers Peter.

archey, cmh6122 and stonedmoses like this.
  18. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

are the root beer smelly ones sasafras? whatever that is, it's some good looking stuff. pretty good friend you got there

19. Paully

Paully Senior Member

I'm gutting my Squier "Strat" like a trout.
    Putting in CTS, CRL, GAVITT.
    The usual suspects.

20. Paully

Paully Senior Member

0310181911.jpg

cmh6122 and Tweaker like this.