What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 73Custom, Dec 19, 2009.

1. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Haha, i only said that because i thought someone would look at the photo and say that i have more thab wiring to go

yeah i know about the headstock that you would approve. At this stage i have done enough copies, time to mix it up. Like the different pick guard and the mini humbucker and headstock shape

2. Jure

Jure Member

Not exactly on the bench but close to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

P1070011.JPG

Got a 335 on the bench. Client says the neck is too fat and wants it slimmed down. And yes indeed it is FAT. A great big baseball bat neck measuring almost 1" thick at the first fret.

First thing I notice is the mis-shaped open book on the headstock. What is this? A Chibson??!!

I look under the truss rod cover to see if the correct type of rod is in there. Yep.

But I also see that the colour in the cavity is red...not white. Aha...a refin.

So I put a magnet on the back of the neck to get a feel for how close the truss rod is to the back. Hmmm...no problem here, not close at all.

Then I start....took one swipe with my microplane and good god! The entire neck is laminated with woven fibreglass cloth and epoxy.

That ruined the microplane.

So on to the heat gun to get rid of this ridiculousness. :wow:

P1070012.JPG

4. Zeegler

Zeegler Senior Member

Uh oh. Makes you wonder what else is under there and why it had the fibreglass cloth on it.

5. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Eeeeek!:Ohno: Dat not good.

Freddy,
    We'll be looking forward to the next Resurrection video.
    If any can save it it is you.

6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I got it all off. Nothing is "under there" but neck.
    It appears some moron just wanted a fat neck, and had it done by adding layers of fibreglass and then refinned the guitar in opaque white to hide it. What a waste. That whole fat neck thing bothers me. Nobody I knew wanted a fat neck back in the day. Nobody....not anyone who could really play anyway. I'm convinced that the only reason some people are obsessed with a huge neck is that they think if that's what they had in the 50s it must be good. /rant
    Yeah, yeah yeah....now the great players who prefer fat necks are gonna come out and prove me wrong. I guess there may be some....but in my experience....not many.

7. Zeegler

Zeegler Senior Member

Yeah I don't get the fat neck thing either. I like a nice slim neck within reason.

8. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

I will occasionally build a fatter neck, but it is usually a trapezoidal carve, which plays much thinner than it measures. For me, it has to do with the fact that the thumb on my fretting hand is double jointed, so it takes a lot more muscular exertion to keep it from buckling especially during barre chords on a really thin neck. I could never do a wizard or anything like that. I usually shoot for something in the 0.9" thick at the first fret range.

9. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Got to work in this one this weekend, flush trimmed the body to the top then shaped it on the disc sander. Cut the neck pocket and situated the bridge.

Next I will cut the pup cavities and drill for the wires then glue the back on to try to minimise dust getting in the body. Then it's sanding and then glue the neck in.

The neck pocket template slipped on the bass side so I'm going to have to figure something out. IMG_7805.JPG

cmh6122 and jkes01 like this.
  10. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

11. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Not on my workbench but will be soon - like a couple of years from now! ;-) This hard maple tree was cut down just off my dad's property. Two large logs yielded 13 - 9/4 slabs that were about 28"x 65" long. Looks like pretty nice stuff.

first cut -
    [​IMG]

Here is how the slabs look -
    [​IMG]

all done and stickered -
    [​IMG]

Cheers Peter.

cmh6122, Sct13 and jkes01 like this.
  12. redking

redking Senior Member

This is one for your upcoming book... "Why would you do that? Adventures in Lutherie and Human Stupidity" Pre-order now on Amazon!

13. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

LOL. You must be my brutha from anutha mutha :)

I have the same stupid double-jointed thumb on my left hand. Years of playing stress on it has caused the big joint at the base of the thumb to become visibly larger than the one on my right hand

I like a beefier neck too, but nothing like that 1" log Freddy is working on.

I usually make mine about .85" at the first fret up to .90" at 12th with a "soft" C shape

14. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Waiting to get some new sanding pads, I fixed the little chunk out of the neck pocket on the karri topped one.

I also got the rope and the back chambered in the pine build, it's getting a karri neck and blackbutt fretboard. Also got the bolt soundholes cleaned as best as I could. Going with a bucker in the bridge and a hot rail type pickup in the neck, both will more than likely have trapeze tail pieces and definitely have roller bridges IMG_7827.JPG IMG_7828.JPG IMG_7829.JPG

cmh6122 likes this.
  15. lvrpool32

lvrpool32 Premium Member

Changed my mind on the bridge at the last minute...was thinking the hipshot hardtail, but going to give the schaller Hannes a try.

[​IMG]Untitled

[​IMG]Untitled

[​IMG]Untitled

cmh6122, Gold_topped, pinefd and 5 others like this.
  16. dcomiskey

dcomiskey Member

Ho. Lee. Sh*t.

17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

I need a little headphone amp for at work, so I have been working on this: headphone amp with built in cab simulator and overdrive circuit. This will get a mini head cabinet complete with headphone and speaker cab out and cab sim bypass switch.

[​IMG]

cmh6122 and jkes01 like this.
  18. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Lots of stuff!

But the most relevant for this site is clamped to the side ... the Limba 6 getting some neck work done.

:cheers2:

[​IMG]

cmh6122, mux164 and archey like this.
  19. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Wanda..and baby she's got to trot!!..

20. fretman_2

fretman_2 Senior Member

You got a schematic?

Freddy G likes this.