What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 73Custom, Dec 19, 2009.

1. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

Gonna UV fade this one to tame it down a bit. Should be buffing and assembling in a month or so. :)

[​IMG]

FF_Pedals, pinefd, Frack and 10 others like this.
  2. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

geoffstgermaine, mux164 and cmh6122 like this.
  3. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7723.JPG IMG_7724.JPG IMG_7714.JPG IMG_7717.JPG IMG_7718.JPG IMG_7721.JPG D'oh forgot to redo the round over on the top of the blue one, onto clear coating my first build again

Decided to get these out of the way before I make too much dust.

I wanted to see what the olive drab looked like on wood and I like it, just one coat. And another restart for the tie dyed explorer

Lastly the ibanezesque got a couple of coats of black stain then a burst, apologies for the crappy pictures

geoffstgermaine, cmh6122 and jkes01 like this.
  4. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7726.JPG IMG_7727.JPG IMG_7728.JPG Still on the bench technically, just need to do the intonation, the only thing I'm not happy with was the headstock being broken at one point but oh well.

No hum despite the dog ear in it

geoffstgermaine and cmh6122 like this.
  5. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Harmony H-61 1954 ~ 56 ?? (I think)

It comes to me via the singer in a band I'm in. He says he found it at a garage sale many moons ago....he says it was painted black, he stripped it and threw some stings on it and stuck it on the wall. Recently he asked if I could get it playable again....It was a complete mess....everything was covered in years of dust, but it is structurally sound needing a new or repaired nut.

upon inspection, I saw that someone did a half assed attempt and resetting a broken neck at the body....its holding, but its messy, neck is straight ....sort of...the trapeze looks like its from an epiphone, and all the electronics are gone, machines are crappy as hell. So it was either going to play or it wasn't....before I set out to remove the nut I tried filling it with the baking-soda and cyanoacrylate trick...and it worked amazingly well. The slots were cut way too deep. I refiled the slots.

I cleaned up the neck and leveled off what's left of the frets, scraped the protruding inlays so they were flat again, and scraped and refinished the headstock....that came out nice...So I thought what the hell...I'll clean ou the body with some sandpaper...shot some clear, and every flaw (lots) showed up...I sanded it (as if it were sealer) and shot a vintage tint clear (stewmac) and Voila ...its presentable....SO I threw some strings on,, cut the fret slots, and tuned it up....the thing plays WAY better than I thought it would! and stays in tune....

So looking at this as a sympathetic preservation.....I'm thinking of trying to spray a burst on it (tobacco) or something....what do you guys think?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

It's like a Tele, but with extra strings and goofy frets.

IMG_20170829_192352.jpg IMG_20170829_192445.jpg IMG_20170829_192456.jpg IMG_20170829_192544.jpg IMG_20170829_192656.jpg

7. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7732.JPG Hmm just clear coat and live with te fact it's shite or try some mirror paint. I'm just going to bung a single pickup in it if I just clear coat it. If I get swayed to do the mirror I will put 2 in it

8. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

^ Think it looks great. Give it a polish, I bet you'll be surprised.

mux164 likes this.
  9. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

I'll just clear coat it, thanks john should look rustic with some black peeking through where I sanded it back

10. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7733.JPG IMG_7734.JPG IMG_7735.JPG IMG_7736.JPG
    Sprayed some satin on it and to be honest you were right, I actually quite like the shabbiness of it, that build was a nightmare, it started when I routered for the control holes then carved too deep.
    Then I went to use the body to flush trim my cavity cover and the bearing came off the router and chunked out the body so I had to re level the body. Lastly I sprayed it blue then forgot that I didn't round over the top doh.

The gold one (yeah it gold even though it looks similar to the olive drab on the Tele) is my first build again resprayed it and added binding. And u also changed it to a mini bucker In The bridge and the Jackson j50n in the neck.

Then the olive drab Tele with a mini bucker in the neck(love this colour, I did it to see how the 335 will look)

And lastly my jemish gunslinger/ shred looking, just need to start clear coating

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  11. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Senior Member

On my workbench...heavy plastic wrap and waterproof duct tape. Hurricane Irma is only a few days out, so my wife and I spent the evening relocating current builds and valuable materials, moving anything else as high as we could, and sealing up my equipment as much as possible. We're in Tampa and will hopefully avoid the worst of Irma's wind and rain, but there's no way to know until she arrives. Stay safe out there, MLP friends!

21543853_1898534890399265_57312941603550757_o.jpg

Esel, cmh6122, jkes01 and 7 others like this.
  12. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Andrew, and all the folks in the path of this next "occidental typhoon," please take good care. First and foremost, for you and yours ... next, your neighbor. Oh, and when at all possible, gear and wood and tools.

Cheers!

KnightroExpress likes this.
  13. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Worked on a few things a couple that I may have to sell if I want to see the foo fighters again, regretfully it might have to be my semi hollow I built with the bigsby knockoff , but got the Tele deluxe required but it going to have to go back and do it again since the neck pickup is out of phase.

And the blue one that should have been firedwood turned out pretty cool, nearly looks like I got an meg in the bridge lol, put the Jackson j50n in the neck IMG_7778.JPG IMG_7779.JPG IMG_7780.JPG IMG_7783.JPG tomorrow will be another day going over the nicer ones that I have made, I want to sell them before the regretful one lol IMG_7781.JPG IMG_7782.JPG

61LPSG and cmh6122 like this.
  14. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Looks like Irma is going to head up the west coast of FL now and put a CAT 3 right over Tampa. I'm glad you prepped!

Be safe brother!

15. lowatter

lowatter Senior Member

Sorry to see that Irma(the beotch that she is) is coming your way brother. My wife's grandmother lives in Riverview and she got out Thursday and flew to Ohio. I see that airlines are only charging $99 to evacuees and waiving pet fees. Good for them. Please respond to let us know how you guys are doing. I live in NW South Carolina and looks like the storm path may miss us and we should only have some hard rains but it's the freaking tornadoes that scare the bageebees out of me.

16. cdscarter

cdscarter Senior Member

Technically not on my workbench at the moment, more hanging in the shed and laying on my bed.

Freshly completed telecaster:

image3 (5).JPG

And a build that I never thought I would be doing on holiday. A friend and I started building this between eight and ten years ago. He had this crazy design that looked awful and would have been horrible to play. So it got put aside to rot in the depths of the workshop. Came back to the UK for a holiday and he asked if we still had it. We decided to try to make it work by completely reshaping it (within the confines of an already cut body) and this is where we're at today.

Made of three pieces of mahogany on the back, a 3/4" maple cap (that was impossibly difficult to cut) and a tonne of filler where we destroyed a router bit. Bought the neck and reshaped the headstock and sprayed it. Will be having some Northwest Tuners, a Filtertron pickup and the electrons from a telecaster. Fingers crossed it works.

image5 (2).JPG

image4 (3).JPG

cmh6122 likes this.
  17. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7797.JPG IMG_7788.JPG IMG_7790.JPG IMG_7792.JPG IMG_7794.JPG All been on the bench today most of them had wiring issues mostly bad solder joints, had to replace a jack on one and turn the pickup around on the purple one, trying to sell them all for ticket money for the foo fighters lol

61LPSG and cmh6122 like this.
  18. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

I got brave and shot this burst .....first go at it.....shoulda had better lighting in the garage....

I scraped the binding (which is a total bitch on this old stuff) it looed horrible so I shot the white binding with some amber...I love the stewmac Red Mahogany color, but the nozzle sux and I couldn't get an even coverage....

feedback for any experts out there is welcome....

[​IMG]

geoffstgermaine and cmh6122 like this.
  19. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7800.JPG Just need to wire this puppy up

Pic was taken before intonating

geoffstgermaine, Esel and cmh6122 like this.
  20. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

I thought that photo sounded a bit off ;)

Looks good. I'm glad you opted out of the traditional horrifying tele headstock