What's on YOUR workbench right now?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 73Custom, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

Finally no longer on the bench. This guy rocks! Better pictures to come later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cmh6122, Skyjerk, pinefd and 5 others like this.
  2. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

New handle for my fret saw. Still a ton of work to make it ready to cut fret slots, but glad to get this far. :thumb:

[​IMG]

3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

Lovely pattern. Looks like a pretty decent hang angle, though it's designed for cut on the push. let us know how it works for the fret saw, which I assume is cut on the pull stroke. Small rasps are the best for working totes. I used them all the time on plane totes and what few saw totes I make.

4. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Thanks Rip. It's a standard medium pattern, but redesigned on my iPad to better fit my hand. All the curves were tweaked to fit either forstner bits or sanding drums I have in the garage.

I was actually afraid it would be too small, so I printed it off and prototype'd it in good 'ol genuine "Cardia Boarda." Glad I did, it's a perfect fit. Also gave me an opportunity to measure for my finger bumps.

[​IMG]

I actually had a large bubinga blank all glued up and decided to cut it apart and highlight the glue joint with a little maple/walnut/maple lamination. I reinforced the glue joint with maple dowels prior to cutting it out. Unfortunately, don't have any quality rasps. I'll have to figure out how I'm gonna contour it. :hmm:

Not sure if all western style fret saws are all pull. :dunno: The saw pictured is an inexpensive German back saw. I plan on profiling the teeth to a hybrid cross cut and set to fit standard fret wire. If not, I'll still have a decent saw for miters and dove tails :thumb:

cmh6122 likes this.
  5. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

If it's an inexpensive gents' type saw, then it is probably push cut. What fasteners are you using? Split nuts? I've thought for some time about putting a real tote on my fret saw, but it's getting dull any way. I've thought about giving it a go resharpening it, but I'm not sure if I can find any xx-slim taper files that would fit it right. That and setting to .023" seems like quite the task. If you manage to set it successfully, let us know how you did it. I've got an old saw set, but it won't do teeth that small.

6. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

7. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

8. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

9. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

I've got a picture framing mitre saw that I use, it's .60mm kerf, I can try to figure out in inches, then I use a triangle file to chamfer it so the frets go in.
    Hopefully I get a life time out of that saw

10. charisjapan

charisjapan Senior Member

Hey Mux!

Your 0.60mm is 0.0236". I used a 0.58mm (0.0228") saw on my bass guitar with JESCAR frets, perfect for the "softish" cherry sapwood. I just don't know how critical it is to be a perfect fit. This particular saw kit only has 0.020" (0.508mm) and 0.025" (0.635mm) blades ... or should I forget those and find the "just right" blade?

Is it just me, or does it seem that anything that is "just right" for luthiers is about double the price of a commonly available anything?! ;)

11. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

12. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Both Jescar and Dunlop make 0.020" tang fret wire. I think they also make 0.024", which may work with the 0.025" kerf of the other blade. You'd have to test it and see. I bought a 0.024" dia. CNC endmill for cutting fret slots and will be testing soon to see if my Stew Mac fret wire will work. BTW Stew Mac say all of their wire is 0.023".

Cheers Peter.

13. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

Mate I don't know, I'm probably the last person to ask, since I use the cheapest wire and oddball fingerboards

14. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7693.JPG IMG_7694.JPG Free handed some routing, sanded every thing to 240, will get up to steel wool shortly and clear coat

cmh6122, Barnaby, Esel and 1 other person like this.
  15. dcomiskey

dcomiskey Member

This isn't exactly my "workbench" but will help me put a lot more on it! I have, probably, two dozen slabs of figured maple I've scored off ebay the past two years (I'm a hoarder, apparently) but my antique bandsaw I got of CL a few yrs ago couldn't resaw anything over 6". This Rikon can do nearly 14." My first test slice with a Resaw King blade gave me a thin .08" slice. I'm happy. :) I should have enough bookmatched tops for 100+ guitars.

Attached Files:

16. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Ok, I'm jealous. Now get ripping.:cheers2:

dcomiskey likes this.
  17. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Nice stuff. good blade. I use a 1" resaw king blade. Best I ever used :)

dcomiskey likes this.
  18. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Senior Member

I started working on the knobs for the multiscale Baryon build that is otherwise done. Here is the dual concentric setup, aluminum top knob and Indian rosewood lower knob. The other two will hopefully get finished this week. They have been roughed out with the inlay put in them, just a little more work to go.

[​IMG]

19. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

It's my workbench, but not my work - I've been waaaay too busy to do anything for months, but my awesome student Shizuho has just done a test stringing of her second instrument. This one's a shortscale bass with a paulownia body and a maple neck. There's rounding over yet to do, then it's final sanding and finishing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. mux164

mux164 Senior Member

IMG_7704.JPG IMG_7705.JPG IMG_7706.JPG Don't know why the top looks so dirty, I gave it a good sanding after I carved the top, just need to tidy up inside the horns

jkes01, Esel, cmh6122 and 1 other person like this.