What's a good price to pay for...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by jep1210, Sep 17, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Floral???

acstorfer likes this.
  2. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I'm keeping the floral. It's one of three or maybe four guitars I want to keep.

Who likes this.
  3. mmd

mmd Senior Member

HAHAHA, don't blame you. That is the ONLY JEM I want these days. Consider the 30th Anni, but played one and it didn't feel "right"...it was nice, but for $3500 I would need my socks blown off - and sadly it didn't do that. Plus, to me a JEM is PAF Pro pickups, you know?? ;)

acstorfer likes this.
  4. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

Whelp, I've NOT heard back about the guitar. I'm going to take that as "divine intervention" and not buy another guitar...until another RG appears in that color for a similar price that is. :naughty:

mmd and Who like this.
  5. mmd

mmd Senior Member

It's worth the wait. They really are amazing guitars.

6. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I couldn't agree more about the pickups. By all accounts my 7VWH is a much better guitar. It really is one of those "special" playing guitars. Unfortunately it has the Evo pickups instead of the PAFs. The EVOs are great pickups and all, but the PAFs just blow them away.

I was actually pretty bothered that the anny models didn't come with PAFs.

7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Oh, totally. It was a huge disappointment. I do agree the 7VWH (especially with the ebony board) is a MUCH "better" guitar - more "quality" woods, etc - but I fell in love with the Basswood, PAF Pro, Orginal Edge JEMs as soon as they came out. Wanted a DSY with the pyramids SOOOO bad...then the Floral came out. It was flashy but classy in a way. THAT has been my "ultimate JEM" ever since. Have come across a few over the years, but for the prices the wear and tear was a bit more than my comfort level (or they had lost the PAF Pro pups - and the newer PAF Pros aren't the same).

I had the PAF Pro pups in all my 550s in the early 90s. They were essential to the tone I was after. I still dig the sound of them, but not the "look" - it seems they changed the bobbins/pole pieces to be more "standard" and the colors are more opaque. Oh well, one of these days!!

acstorfer likes this.
  8. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

jep1210 likes this.
  9. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I love my floral this much!

IMG_0561.JPG

I pretty much knew once that ink went on I could never sell it.

mmd likes this.
  10. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Right on!! Yeah, that's commitment!! The knobs and switch cap look great. How faded are the pups?

acstorfer likes this.
  11. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

It's impossible for me to know how much they faded. I've only had it for a little over a year. Here's what it looks like now.

IMG_1135.JPG

12. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Looks good to me!! I'd say that's minimal fade. When they get bad, it is almost a translucent pink. They look horrible!!! I have a feeling that is why DiMarzio changed the bobbins and coloring. The old pups look more "fluorescent" where the new look more "painted"...if that makes sense. Looks like you have a SWEET one!

acstorfer likes this.
  13. jep1210

jep1210 Senior Member

Whelp, I guess I misread the auction. When I looked at it on Sunday after it was ended, I thought it said 0 bids and I assumed it didn't sell. Hahaha!!!!! Boy do I feel like a dope sending my question to the seller. Anyway obviously Its no longer available.

acstorfer likes this.
  14. mmd

mmd Senior Member

OHHHH!!!!! That sucks!!! Check Guitar Center's used site too. They often get some SWEET 550s...

jep1210 likes this.
  15. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Just for the fun it, here's a pic of my last RG550....an '87 in Road Flare Red, customized to the CHEESE level!!! I added some PAF Pro pups, colored parts then ROCKED it.....ONCE, lol. Got an amazing offer on it from the guitarist in a touring hair band. he was happy and I made some GOOD scratch on it!!

[​IMG]

16. Robotechnology

Robotechnology V.I.P. Member

I have quite a few Ibanez models and am a huge fan so I wanted to amend this a bit:

RG550 front routed with pick guard... maple fretboard
    RG570 rear routed... rosewood fretboard

Those are the differences beside different colors being available at times. If you compare models made in the same year... they’ll have the same pups and bridge. They are identical other than what I mentioned.