What would you do, 52 conversion?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by amused, Aug 19, 2016.

Which finish for my 52 conversion?

1. goldtop - [url]https://flic.kr/p/KS8vJG[/url]

20.9%
  2. red 1 - [url]https://flic.kr/p/Liq4fa[/url]

10.5%
  3. sunburst - [url]https://flic.kr/p/L63i1P[/url]

34.0%
  4. lemonburst - [url]https://flic.kr/p/L9SAf9[/url]

31.4%
  5. darkburst - [url]https://flic.kr/p/L99t2m[/url]

8.5%
  6. red 2 - [url]https://flic.kr/p/LcoHRi[/url]

2.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. amused

amused Senior Member

The guitar is already is the hand of the only luthier I trust to have skills to do this work. And by that, I don’t mean no other luthier could do it, I am sure a lot would do a very good work, but I just feel that this one is the perfect one for my conversion. He also thinks binding should be added...

He also told me that the body binding is coming off in some spot so we are probably replacing all the binding. The guitar also have a classical head brake, that will probably be kept visible after the refinish, just to keep as much as possible of its history.

2. amused

amused Senior Member

Man, I see that red have almost 1/3 as much votes as sunburst and I really think it is huge since lots of people here are pretty conservative with old LP looks.

My luthier is also conservative with the look and prefer to make it look like a 59 in the case it is a 52/59 conversion.

I am really teared apart because of the aforementioned reasons, and also because I am not going to acquired a new LP in a long time, so this could be the one that follow me until getting old :)

3. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Senior Member

Is the rear control cavity clover shaped or is it straight sides?

4. reedy

reedy Senior Member

Hey Amused, the luthier works for YOU. It's your guitar and your money. Personally if he's pushing hard for something you're not 100% on board with I would be inclined to have a serious talk with him about the project or walk away and find a luthier that will be enthusiastic about what you want. If he isn't on board with what you want I wouldn't want him working on it.

5. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Senior Member

It would be easiest converted back to the unbound original but there's less interest in this configuration with the pup routes having been converted since they will possibly show the mortised plugged edges down the line? And the correct P90s would be expensive and harder to find. I believe since the top is SO Nice with a center seam and the pups have been routed for humbuckers, you should burst it and hope no one looks in the rear cavity? It will come out nicer if the pup routes are actually in the correct place to just leave it as is and bind the neck since the correct material is available and re-veneer the holly cap with the proper Gibson logo and LP Model silk screen. Converting back to an early unbound GT is a very unique idea that I'm not sure many have come to yet? I think I'd rather be selling the conversion with Humbuckers than the unbound with motised pups, and I always think about the end before cutting.

6. burgerlee

burgerlee Junior Member

I love the cherry sunburst option. I was originally thinking Goldtop but I do like that 'burst.

7. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

it appears you have one of the ultra rare [in my opinion] first edition Goldtops that doesn't have binding on the neck.....I might be partial to these so have voted to bring it back to 100% original...

Do have any 52 or 57 to 59 parts to put on the build or will you use repro stuff? [i'm thinking you will want pre 60's parts for what looks like it will be a killer - either way] Cant wait to see the progress and congrats.

8. QReuCk

QReuCk Senior Member

First, I don't feel qualified to give an informed opinion as I don't own a vintage guitar. So be warned I might be biased and feel free to completely disregard my vote.

Then I am a wierd person. I don't really like conversions, even with center seams. So I would kinda disregard burst variants. I also don't think a 57 conversion to gold top would be right. So I voted to red1 but would really go for that type of shade with somekind of translucent quality to it so you can see part of the wood figuring through it.
    The fact you intend to keep it so might not be too concerned about the current opinion of potential buyers makes it even more a good idea to do this and scream totheface of the world "this is my guitar and I do what I like with it", which red does to a point.
    I would also go with no binded neck despite or because of the luthier's opinion. Luthiers not willing to butcher a perfectly good instrument and refusing to do a job is one thing. Them trying to push you into a completely unnecessary and not really wanted mod is something else.
    The guy have knowledge and skills, and probably his opinion is alot more valid than mine. But keep in mind those are just opinions and the one that counts his yours.

9. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I still vote just spraying a slightly darker orange/amber narrow burst around the edges of the existing top finish and leaving it a light honeyburst kind of finish (I'm talking really narrow, like 1/2" total width, just to kind of give a halo/ghost to the edges and add a little drama and color to it).

Since somebody brought it up, a darker tobacco-ish burst would look very good with that top's figure, too, however, a lot of the coolest figure is near the edges on the treble side, and it'd be a shame to conceal that with a heavy-handed darkburst.

Also, why the body rebinding? It just looks like it's pulling away slightly in the waist -- I'd think that could be glued back down, possibly w/o even splicing it, if it'll heat and stretch enough.

10. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

I've seen worse '52 hack jobs at DJ's shop get put back to stock, so it is do-able.

11. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

I despise goldtops and love bursts so that was my choice. But I would take any trans color. Is it the most amazing top I have ever seen? no. But Its a unique pattern and I think it would be a shame to cover it up.

12. JSB MD

JSB MD Senior Member

Agree. Mark Kaiser in Springboro, OH would do it right. Slightly darker at pick guard point, etc. The guy is a magician my favorite top ever is a conversion he did.

13. Kro64

Kro64 Junior Member

It has enough figure that I would burst the top , dirty lemon burst.if it was a plain top I would go for the gold !!!!

14. Jumping@shadows

Jumping@shadows V.I.P. Member

I went for a rich/wide '59 cherry on this '54/'59 I recently completed:
    [​IMG]

15. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

Very pretty.

16. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

I would 'burst it in a heartbeat. That's the kind of husk I dream of finding for a conversion. Its never again going to be an "all original" 1952 Goldtop, so why even consider restoring it (unless you're dearly in love with P90s and trapeze tailpieces). Bind the neck, clean-up the routs, and slap you're favorite 'burst finish onto it.
    :thumb:

17. abracadaben

abracadaben Senior Member

have the neck binding done, do a cherry burst and let it fade under the brazilian sun.
    Should come out pretty sexy

18. amused

amused Senior Member

Yes, I agree, that was the plan, the guitar is going to get the binding, a nice burst and a new rooting ... The neck doesn't need to be reset, it has a nice angle...

One thing I would like is to let the scars visible, in order to keep some of the original mojo on.

19. fcsnut

fcsnut Junior Member

sunburst and binding all the way!

20. amused

amused Senior Member

So, it has been some time and the "almost" definitive result is interesting:

Gold: 29
    red: 18
    sunburst: 44
    lemonburst: 41
    Darbust: 8

So clearly there is not a clear winner here, only different tastes for different people...

Thanks for participating guys !!!

Update on the conversion soon... luthier started the work