What should happen to Jahi McMath the girl declared brain dead?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by NRBQ, Jan 9, 2014.

1. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

It's such a complicated and emotional issue and so I was wondering how people feel about the situation. Is she brain dead and therefore keeping her body alive is a waste of her life or is there a chance she can make a recovery and have some quality of life?

Here's an article on her current condition.
    Brain-dead Calif teen undergoes surgery

I can't seem to decide what I think honestly. On the one hand, should this girl go through puperty in a diaper? That's not a life of any sort. On the other hand, her mother sees her daughter, warm, blood pulsing through her veins and sees life. I mean what happens year after year when no brain activity is detected? Can that condition be reversed? The brain needs oxygen, to function, hers has had none for weeks and weeks, how can they regenreate her brain in such a condition?

I think quality of life should be the driving force for deciding what is best in such situations and I don't see that that is going to happen for her.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

They can't, her body is there, her "personhood" is gone. If they could regenerate the brain, it would result in an adult-sized infant bearing only a physical resemblance to the original patient.

It is certainly a waste of resources and anguish, but I have no standing in the decision. If the family and medical team want to keep that body animated, they can do so.

2 people like this.
  3. battra

battra Senior Member

I think it should be the decision of the mother, as long as she can pay for it.

But t he insurance company will most likely have a hand in her decision.

4. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

That is a very hard call, comas there is a chance you come home. That situation is a bad place and leave all hope behind.

5. NRBQ

NRBQ Senior Member

It certainly doesn't seem like she is ever going to wake up and recover her former self. You can see how a mother would not be able to let go though too. The facility that has taken her in feels that she can recover and that she should be given that chance. Just have to wonder how long you go before saying, this isn't any life for her. It's a sad situation with no real answer that is going to satisfy all parties.

6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

If it were me in that state, I say pull the plug. If it were one of my sons, I just don't know if I could.

What is the real crime is this:

Seems like some major league Malpractice happened (without any further information)

5 people like this.
  7. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

I think the whole thing got rushed from the go and unfortunately the mom wasn't ready to accept the obvious. She wants to be sure there is no hope for her daughter before she will let her go (at least that was my understanding while the comatos teen was still at the first hospital). Sadly I am not sure at what point you realize that enough is enough and move on.

Its one of those situations when you see a deformed or mentally challenged child and go "I couldn't deal with that", but in reality, you have no idea what your capable of dealing with until it slaps you in the face. I feel for the mom, family and all involved but think that brain dead is dead as is.. Its sad.

2 people like this.
  8. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

My big sister was brain dead after an operation failed, she was too weak. I was chosen to make the call. I knew there was only one choice but it was still hard to say the words.

4 people like this.
  9. poncho

poncho Banned

Sorry to hear that Kev, my sympathies

1 person likes this.
  10. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Makes it worse when it's a child of yours on that bed.

1 person likes this.
  11. battra

battra Senior Member

Yup.

Personally...that's a personal choice that the executor of the will should be able to make.

I won't say you have to do this or that...then we start meddling into and legislating religious beliefs....

12. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

Do they? I didn't read that. Either way, they are bound to the decision of the family. The insurance company also has a say, but I don't think most hospital administrators are going to be comfortable unplugging somebody just because the insurance gets cut off. Lawyers would make it cheaper to eat the loss, at least for a while, and they may not legally have the authority to let go, depending on the laws in that jurisdiction.

13. electric head

electric head Don't answer the phone Premium Member

If she has no brain activity and the longer it goes on the less chance of any type of recovery.If it was my own child I would pull the plug myself if I had too.
    Laying in bed as a vegatable on a breathing machine is no life.

2 people like this.
  14. nauc

nauc Senior Member

life = win
    death = lose

not a tuff choice

15. EDS1275

EDS1275 Banned

vote her into congress. outside of the big improvement no one will know the difference

16. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

It's also not a choice available in this case.